New wheels for Christmas

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Tokyo
You should get a Powertap then. It`s like having a whip and mother-in-law combined telling you to go faster. No prizes for guessing who is staying at our house this month...
Now you got me thinking again :confused:....
... no I will wait for the Garmin Vector :angel:

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I rode with Powertap for a month or so. It's an interesting data acquisition device and useful for some kinds of training input. But, I tend to swap wheels quite a bit based on the type of ride, event or just a whim. I'd need a Powertap for everywheel - and for the super lightweight wheels, well, let's face it, a Powertap is not the most svelte hub you can get. Plus - you're restricted to J Spokes.

For a coaching device - yes.
For a general rider - no. Wait for the Garmin and get something that lets you run any wheel you want!

Anyway - I'd be curious to know if your wattages have increased since you've started training with the Powertap. Any numbers? Have you uploaded any results onto Strava for comparison?

You should get a Powertap then. It`s like having a whip and mother-in-law combined telling you to go faster. No prizes for guessing who is staying at our house this month...

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
Now you got me thinking again :confused:....
... no I will wait for the Garmin Vector :angel:
I was waiting for that, but then they announced the price... The other cheapish option is a Power2max crank
http://power2max.de/

I rode with Powertap for a month or so. It's an interesting data acquisition device and useful for some kinds of training input. But, I tend to swap wheels quite a bit based on the type of ride, event or just a whim. I'd need a Powertap for everywheel - and for the super lightweight wheels, well, let's face it, a Powertap is not the most svelte hub you can get. Plus - you're restricted to J Spokes.

For a coaching device - yes.
For a general rider - no. Wait for the Garmin and get something that lets you run any wheel you want!

Anyway - I'd be curious to know if your wattages have increased since you've started training with the Powertap. Any numbers? Have you uploaded any results onto Strava for comparison?
The new G3 hub is down to 325g so no great weight penalty with that. At the mo, I can`t post any wattages as the computer I use (O-synce macro) lets me calibrate the powertap, but won`t give a calibration figure, so I have no way of knowing whether anything I post would be accurate (be it higher or lower). It reads consistent, so I can train with it (and I think it is partly to blame for my fatigue by changing my training in accordance with what it was telling me), but as to whether the figures bear any resemblance to reality, then pass.

It has made me faster, as my L4 hill-climbing was actually everything bar the kitchen sink (i.e. was going through every zone from L1-L6 and only missing L7) so by trying to keep wattage more constant (i.e. not above VO2/L5 level and trying not to slacken below L3) have taken 2-3 mins off my longer climbs (50-55 mins). And improved my riding on the flats which turned out to be an embarrassing low level of effort with continual slacking. And meant that VO2/L5 efforts actually hit the correct wattage figure. I haven`t actually done any full-out tests since I got it as originally, just used it to gather data on how I was riding, and since then, like I said, more concerned with concentrating on more even riding. I would guess my FTP to be around 260-270W at 63.5 kg.

Also, I use the O-synce training lab software for record keeping, so don`t know if I can upload from there. I tried Golden Cheetah but didn`t support the O-synce when I looked. I got it with the idea of upgrading the computer to one of the new Joules that were supposed to be released last month, but they have been put back to the end of February, so when that arrives, I can check it properly and switch software.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
325gr!!?? Jeez, my hill climb wheelset rear hub is barely 100gr. In fact, your Powertap hub alone weighs nearly the same as my WHOLE WHEEL! I like HC rigs to be no more than 10% my body weight.