What's new

new Tokyo~Itoigawa route

Hi (Andreas):

Just to confirm ... I do not see any no changes from what was posted on the organizer site ( http://blog.livedoor.jp/tokyoitoigawa/ ) on April 1, correct? Nothing new in the past 6 weeks, right?

You added the checkpoints to that track?

It looks like the only tricky points are:

(1) don't miss the left turn just before Lake Suwa ... or you will go the long way around as numerous folks have from time to time during the event (Tom) or in practice (Mikey),

(2) did they change part of the climb after Lake Suwa up to Shiojiri Pass -- I think some years at least there has been an intermediate left turn after Okaya, up a sharp hill along Pref. Route 254 ... but this year you go straight all the way to National Route 20, then turn left (which I remember from the first time I did TOITO back in 2008). A more gradual and longer route.

I don't know if any of the turns are easy to miss around Nagano-shi/Nagano Station area ... but it looks as if, as usual, they chose "National" instead of "Prefectural" roads, and the most easily navigated, unimaginative and heavily traveled routes possible ... just without the Hakuba-Itoigawa tunnels and with the last 50 kms along the coast road.

The weather forecast for Saturday looks very nice throughout Yamanashi/Nagano/Niigata, a bit hot around mid-day ... but need to watch for wind direction and save something in the tank in case of the headwinds along the coast.

Thanks,
David L.

David,

You are correct about the changes being made 6weeks ago. I just wanted to make the correction to the RideWithGPS route I posted back in February.
I Manually added the checkpoints to the Route from the information on the webpage. Feel free to double check the accuracy of the checkpoints.

I think I will write down the expected turns and their exact distance from the start on a piece of paper. I will also try to hook up a bigger battery to my Garmin 800. I want to use it for navigating without being nervous about the battery life.

So,
How many will be riding and when are you all starting?
I am scheduled for a 5:15 take off myself :bike:

Start times for the TCC Group are:

David 4:25 (the oldest and slowest)

Doug and Pete (4:35) (will pass me very quickly)

Gunnar and Steve (5:15) (veterans)

Mikey (6:00) (with Andy W.)

All except Gunnar (with his camping hammock) are staying at Hotel SunPlaza in Isawa Onsen about 6 kms from the start.

http://g.co/maps/tra3q

Some of us are heading out Friday afternoon (me) would be interested in an early dinner in that general vicinity ...

We'll be driving up late Fri night. I believe my start time is also 5:15, Andreas is earlier, Stefano and Eric later.

Actually 6:30 for me and Tom (last start time).

As for Nagano, R19 splits just before Nagano city. Both roads labelled R19. The official route bears left and through the city centre. I intend to go right (through the tunnel) on the new R19 bypass which meets R18 at a major junction.

I imagine it's quicker but have never compared the two on the bike.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Actually 6:30 for me and Tom (last start time).

As for Nagano, R19 splits just before Nagano city. Both roads labelled R19. The official route bears left and through the city centre. I intend to go right (through the tunnel) on the new R19 bypass which meets R18 at a major junction.

Andy

1. I did not realize they had any start times after 6AM ...

2. Doesn't sound entirely legit -- to take a different, faster route through Nagano-shi than that posted on the organizers' site to skip a bunch of traffic signals? I guess once you start riding the Kofu overpasses and skipping red lights, it is all a matter of degree.

There are a lot of potential shortcuts. Like I say, not sure if it is a short cut or not. I'll be following the course pretty much to the letter but that looked like a better way to go.

On the past route, most people took that steep climb after Lake Suwa that you mentioned although not the official route. Also there were two options linking up R19 and Omachi - most people took the non-official route there too.

Like you say, a matter of degree.

Andy

There are a lot of potential shortcuts. Like I say, not sure if it is a short cut or not. I'll be following the course pretty much to the letter but that looked like a better way to go.

Looks longer as the crow flies, but faster if you skip the traffic/lights of the middle of town.

Not so sure you are the slowest David! And surely you are not the oldest in the non-Japanese contestant field but only third-ranked in terms of seniority :D (Tim & Tom are ahead of you :cool:).

Start times for the TCC Group are:

David 4:25 (the oldest and slowest)

Doug and Pete (4:35) (will pass me very quickly)

Gunnar and Steve (5:15) (veterans)

Mikey (6:00) (with Andy W.)

All except Gunnar (with his camping hammock) are staying at Hotel SunPlaza in Isawa Onsen about 6 kms from the start.

http://g.co/maps/tra3q

Some of us are heading out Friday afternoon (me) would be interested in an early dinner in that general vicinity ...

So you're competing in the "Tokyo-Itoigawa - Find Your Own Best Route" event that coincidentally takes place the same day? ;)

So you're competing in the "Tokyo-Itoigawa - Find Your Own Best Route" event that coincidentally takes place the same day? ;)

Hi Joe, highly recommended this event (indeed a bit of a rally but not in a race sense :))...having read some of your recent exploits, I think you would enjoy the atmosphere.

I might be the oldest (55) and slowest! At least for the last 100km. First 200km will be fast, but then I get shoulder jam - going to try what I did last week at the 200km mark and take 15min to eat and take 800mg Ibuprofen. That seemed to work quite well and I was able to finish off another 50km with minimal pain and legs still felt pretty fresh.

I'm also going to try some DH Bars, they'll arrive tomorrow and I'll practice a bit with them. No brakes or shifters on the ends - so need to watch out for that. But on the longer hauls at the front, should be nice.

Powering this trip on Contreaux, Bananas, Burritos, Black Thunder and Ice Cream Bars. All the gel junk, powders and other crap just sits in my stomach and makes me feel ill.

Not so sure you are the slowest David! And surely you are not the oldest in the non-Japanese contestant field but only third-ranked in terms of seniority :D (Tim & Tom are ahead of you :cool:).

Just noticed that the route basically goes right by my house. For anyone who knows the area I'm near (actually too close for comfort) the MacDonald's in Naoetsu.

I'm getting a new sofa delivered on Saturday afternoon but if time allows I'll wander over to have a look. What kind of times will people be going through Naoetsu?

Why not park your old sofa out by the street and enjoy the view of suffering riders whizzing by. You could add a cowbell and some chalk on the road as well!

Just noticed that the route basically goes right by my house. For anyone who knows the area I'm near (actually too close for comfort) the MacDonald's in Naoetsu.

I'm getting a new sofa delivered on Saturday afternoon but if time allows I'll wander over to have a look. What kind of times will people be going through Naoetsu?

Hi Joe, highly recommended this event (indeed a bit of a rally but not in a race sense :))...having read some of your recent exploits, I think you would enjoy the atmosphere.

Tom, as you probably saw initially I was quite interested in it, but signed up for the BRM519西東京300km富士 brevet instead.

Primarily I went for the brevet because it starts and finishes in Machida, only half an hour by train from here, which is convenient. The total cycling distance is very similar, but TOITO involves more train rides at both ends, which I'm not so keen on. I think the brevet has a bit more climbing.

One thing I also like about the brevet route is that it almost completely avoids large roads, but I only found that out later. I've tried almost all of it on training rides by now and like the route very much. TOITO now has fewer tunnels, but still seems to use a lot of busy roads. And last but not least, I am addicted to views of Mt Fuji ;)

It will be great to meet more cyclists who go for distance. I might try Tokyo-Itoigawa next year :)

TOITO Congratulations

Congratulations to all on a successful outing to the new, slightly longer (308km vs 291km) Tokyo Itoigawa Fastrun Classic.

The 6 TCC entered riders and times were:

Michael R. in 10:20:56. 13th place.
Pete W. and Douglas E., 10:35:54. Tied for 19th. (rode the entire route together).
Gunnar H. at 11:06:56. 28th place.
Steve T. 11:52:55. 45th place.
David L. 12:51:45. 97th place ... up from 137th the year before.

Everyone made it safely.

The only mechanical issue I heard about was Pete's flat tire and slow leak on the replacement tube as he and Doug approached the finish.

Other than the flat, I think Pete an Douglas rode just about a perfect event. The rest of us all have our "could have, should have, if only" stories to tell.

EricinIkeburo riding with GS Astuto, who started 25 minutes after me, was already rolling into CP#1 as I was leaving, and said Tim S. was not far behind. I heard from Gunnar later that GS Astuto had some kind of issue that held them up -- mechanical or logistic-related -- but have not gotten the story from them yet, since Pete, Doug, Steve, Tom S. and I all hopped the train back to Tokyo soon after our finish and a quick post-ride beer (and for the faster finishers than I, also a trip to the onsen). Michael R. went on by overnight bus to be at a Suzuka event today, and Gunnar stayed in Niigata for some Sunday rides.

More later, with a few photos, on the Positivo Espresso blog.

Andy and Tom

I forgot to mention:

Andy W. is listed at 9:34:21, in 7th place.
And Tom S. came in at 10:30:37 for 17th place and 2nd in his age group.
They had both planned on 6:30AM starts, but were moved up to 6AM. I'll need to get the full story on that.

The winner was Kondo-san of Nalshima Frend, a perennial top-5 finisher, in 9:22:11.

Wow! My respect for, and congratulations to all.

What time of day would the top people have finished at?

I saw some guy coming down sanroku sen in Joetsu around 1:30. He looked like he might be part of the race but if so he certainly took a much quicker route than Joetsu bypass.

Back
Top Bottom