What's new

new to tokyo. please help me find a ride.

Murfman

Warming-Up
May 29, 2012
hey everyone, i moved from new york to tokyo a few months ago and got myself into a bit of a sad situation...... My beloved bike was one box too many to check on my flight over... sighhhh..... so at the time i said "hey screw it! its already boxed up, il just have my brother toss it in the mail next week when i get my address.. yeahhhhh no problem sounds great right??? NOPE! $800+ to get my bike shipped here without having to worry about it getting trashed....

sooo yeahhhh, here i am now bikeless, depressed and getting fat in japan trying to find out how to convince people to fly here with my bike (durring rain season). doesn't seem to be happening till october when my brother brings it over on the plane with him....

so anyway I started thinking about practical options and it dawned on me, im in tokyo!They have beaters all over the place!! but again im bummed out because the only beaters i can find are crappy mamacharis and i just CANT/WONT ride that around all summer...

does anyone know where i should go to find a 2nd hand single speed or track geometry beater that will last me the summer at a low price (20,000-35,000) in the tokyo area? all info would be huge!

PLEASE HELP MEEEEE!

How did they come up with $800? USPS Priority Mail is about $100 / box - with combined girth of 108". You can pack a bike into 2 boxes (wheels + frame) And total cost is about $200.

Yahoo Auction, my friend .. just let your fingers do the clicking ..

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h163623958

i can ride a 54cm or a 56cm. i have tried to use yahoo auction and search for places myself by asking local shops but i really dont speak japanese well atall and cant read it in the slightest.

Copy and paste everything into google translate. You will soon understand how the websites work.

Good practice for learning the language too.

Oh yeah, and welcome to TCC

Try craigslist as well. No language problems there, feel free to run potential purchases by the folk here to avoid getting ripped off.

hey iv been looking on yahoo auctions for used track bikes but all i can find is NJS bikes which are a little out of my price range right now. i keep searching for 競輪 and ケイリン. i guess this is strickly keirin, does anyone know the kanji,katakana or hiragana i should use to search for used entry level track bikes? iv got my bike showing up in october so i really want something i can toss around and beat up over the rain season. il buy njs parts in the future for my good bike when it arrives.

i would have my bike shipped in two packages but its already boxed in one with the wheels on its side. it was fit for checking but for some reason its really expensive for shipping.

If it's over the magic number (108") then you need to pay alot. So , it's just cheaper (and safer) to ship in 2 separate boxes.

I put link in the response above - just click it and it will go directly to the pist (ピスト) bikes which is what everyone calls fixed gear here.

BTW - I also have eccentric hub wheels which allow you to easily convert ANY road bike to fixed. They are about 30,000yen complete. (w/o tire , tube of course).

540 will be much easier to find than a 560 frame. Anyway, a new , cheap fg in Tokyo will cost you about 40,000 - 60,000 yen. A used one (if ur lucky to find) will be 20,000y on up. Remember, Japanese just toss stuff in garbage if it isn't 'brand worthy' - and if it is, then it will cost roughly half or more as the new version.

your the guy of bf with the samson right?

anyways welcome to tcc

i have a couple posts on bf yeah. im the guy that was asking where to find bikes in tokyo and wondering if anyone was in contact with ceya. some people suggested i post here

You're welcome to rent mine - just need to work out the 'lost , stolen, or pawned' details. It's the perfect size for you - and unique in that it's probably the only S&S Ti Coupler FG bike in Japan (perfect for Train Rinko).

You're welcome to rent mine - just need to work out the 'lost , stolen, or pawned' details. It's the perfect size for you - and unique in that it's probably the only S&S Ti Coupler FG bike in Japan (perfect for Train Rinko).

it looks like a great bike and id love to ride it but i always feel a little uncomfortable with other peoples possessions so id rather buy something. any chance your looking to sell it?

Sure- but I think it's a bit over your budget posted.

it looks like a great bike and id love to ride it but i always feel a little uncomfortable with other peoples possessions so id rather buy something. any chance your looking to sell it?

id expect it to be over. how much would you be looking for?

add a zero to your posted budget an you're in the ballpark. as to the bike being unique, I think I've seen another guy riding around on a Ti fixed fear with s&s couplers.

if you're looking for something short term I'd be willing to rent you my steel bike for a set of carbon drops or TT bars. the frame is a custom 4130 track frame with pro-lite wheels, carbon fork, soma crank, a few options for stem and bars and a selle anatomica saddle. very comfortable for long rides.

Back
Top Bottom