What's new

New to Nakameguro with a shiny new CAAD8

Amadean

Warming-Up
Jun 18, 2013
Hey all, just thought I'd say g'day and share a new, non-action pic of my shiny new Cannondale CAAD 8 from Y's Akasaka.

The ride home on this thing was just brilliant. Compared to my old steel hybrid this thing feels genuinely alive. Well, the bike was brilliant, but I think I dropped about 4kgs of water-bodyweight. Heat + lowfitness + humidity are tough.

Hanging out for Keo Classic pedals from Wiggle to arrive, then will be set.

Cheers guys - see you around the roads!

20130709_160141.jpg

Welcome. Nice looking bike, although I'd get some SPDs on there if I were you ;)

I agree. Nice ride. Shiny.

I am genuinely curious. What is there to recommend in (presuming you mean) the SPD-SL system over the LOOK system. The former is an imitation of the latter. I have used neither, so I honestly don't know.
Well, when I said SPDs I meant any clipless pedal system. Not sure why you referred to the LOOK system. I've never used them either but you can't go wrong with Shimanos SPDsl system if you ask me.

Because the Amadean said he is waiting for the Keo Classic [a LOOK product] pedals he has ordered from Wiggle, to complete his rig.

Never mind.
Ha ha, sorry mate. I didn't notice that he had mentioned about waiting for pedals. I just thought you were getting all defensive about the Look system ;)

I trust, with that colour scheme, you went for the red ones;)

Been riding them for a few months and they tend to hang at a funny angle which makes them a bit tough to get used to and I do still find myself flapping about on occasion. When these have done their time I will be trying out the Speedplay pedals (they have red, too).

Very nice looking bike. I was so close to getting the exact same one a month or so ago, but I went for the Synapse 6 instead as I was advised it would be more comfy on longer rides. Trouble is I've been so busy I haven't been on any long rides yet, and now the summer heat is here and even the shortest ride seems long :(

Have fun with it, and stay safe!

and now the summer heat is here and even the shortest ride seems long :(

1) ride as early as possible!
2) pick routes with trees/forest where there is shade.
3) drop the pace a notch or two :)

Cheers for the welcome all!

I trust, with that colour scheme, you went for the red ones;)

Been riding them for a few months and they tend to hang at a funny angle which makes them a bit tough to get used to and I do still find myself flapping about on occasion. When these have done their time I will be trying out the Speedplay pedals (they have red, too).

Yeah Mushashi13, I may have got the Keo's because of the colouring (and reviews, shoes etc..[mostly colour) and definitely coming in red! It'll be interesting to see how they perform in real life. But as my first clipless the trick may be how I perform with them........;)

Very nice looking bike. I was so close to getting the exact same one a month or so ago, but I went for the Synapse 6 instead as I was advised it would be more comfy on longer rides. Trouble is I've been so busy I haven't been on any long rides yet, and now the summer heat is here and even the shortest ride seems long :(

The carbon Synapse 6 sounds brilliant - but for me 80k yen for the CAAD 8 from Y's was hard to go past. The Sora spec is maybe questionable, but my skills hardly merit a better set! Maybe once the heat gets a bit more civilised I'll put them to the test properly

but for me 80k yen for the CAAD 8 from Y's was hard to go past. The Sora spec is maybe questionable, but my skills hardly merit a better set!
It's a great value bike. Sora these days is really reliable and just fine for recreational/training use. You could pay ten times that money for a SuperSix Evo Whatever but it would not go that much faster. Enjoy the sweat.

Nice bike! I'm riding a Sora groupset as well and it's been fine for me. Started joining Pete's Saturday group runs to the North and West of Tokyo in late April and it's been truly amazing. Look for the Unofficial Tours & Short Runs section of this Forum for more info. I also ride out from close to Shimokita so feel free to send a message if you need anything.

Nice bike! I'm riding a Sora groupset as well and it's been fine for me. Started joining Pete's Saturday group runs to the North and West of Tokyo in late April and it's been truly amazing. Look for the Unofficial Tours & Short Runs section of this Forum for more info. I also ride out from close to Shimokita so feel free to send a message if you need anything.

Thanks mate, can't wait to join you lot on one of those rides - will be in touch!

The carbon Synapse 6 sounds brilliant - but for me 80k yen for the CAAD 8 from Y's was hard to go past. The Sora spec is maybe questionable, but my skills hardly merit a better set! Maybe once the heat gets a bit more civilised I'll put them to the test properly

My skills (not to mention my wallet!) hardly merited a carbon Synapse 6…so I got the alloy version. It has Tiagra parts on it. Don't know how much better they are than the Sora, but, like you, I'm just getting back into cycling, so I don't think it's a big deal.

If I ever get out for one of the TCC day tours it'd be good to ride with you!

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom