What's new

New.... to me.... handle bars...

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
OK, fine, call me nuts, I've been called worse :D

I LIKE these kind of bars, I put an old set of Scott AT-3 bars back onto my old Cannondale......
ver_2_trailer_1.jpg

.........and now I want a set for my Mixer 8, but they don't make them anymore :eek:uch:

I did find these on auction here......

new_bars_1.jpg

new_bars_2.jpg

new_bars_3.jpg

Not even really sure what they are, and it looks like someone has already done some surgery on them, but that is fine, I'll just cut some more off to make them even, get some bar tape and have them on my Mixer 8 :D

I paid 2000 yen for these.... too much? Dunno, but I think it it worth it, I like these kind of bars...... and yeah, I know I'm nuts :p

Looks like they are old Cannondale's.
I remember seeing that logo on my old Killer V!!

Just make sure their integrity hasn't been compromised!

OK then...Nuts, I`m disappointed you haven`t made your own ;) After your work on the trailer, that`s like catching the bus for a 5K journey after climbing Fuji-san!

Stu I would be wary of riding someones sloppy seconds. Bent aluminium is compromised. I know where there are some new AT3s for sale here in 八戸。Let me know if your interested. They are still in the box.

Stu I would be wary of riding someones sloppy seconds. Bent aluminium is compromised. I know where there are some new AT3s for sale here in 八戸。Let me know if your interested. They are still in the box.

Yeah, I'll have a good look at them for sure, how much for the AT3's those would be my bar of choice.... so yeah, I'm interested :D

Oh, what is 八戸??

Yeah, I'll have a good look at them for sure, how much for the AT3's those would be my bar of choice.... so yeah, I'm interested :D

Oh, what is 八戸??
八戸 is Hachinohe city in Aomori. I'll go by the shop tomorrow and get a price for you.

Iim useful!!!!!!!
trekkingpositions.jpg

trekking bars!!!

same positions your bars provide, plus a few more

Yeah I've seen those online, but never in a shop here, what brand are they?

Only worry I have is if I can get my brake levers and shifter on those?

They are cool for sure, they would be good for the tow bike :cool:

八戸 is Hachinohe city in Aomori.......

They have cities in Aomori..... :eek: I thought it was only orchards and grass huts :D

kiwisimon said:
I'll go by the shop tomorrow and get a price for you.

That would be great, even if these bars work out, I might buy the AT3's as they are getting harder and harder to find.

Cheers!!

I'm so stupid, I always forget about this site :eek:

Have you ordered from them before? How are they for shipping etc, do they take credit cards? How fast are they?

They seem to have a lot of stuff and good prices, but I wonder if it is "only on the net, and when they get an order, they order it" kind of thing...?

Thanks for reminding me.....again :eek:

I always found them to be very good. I think I paid by CC, but it's a while since I used them, so I may be wrong. Delivery was fast, and I only ever had one case of something not really being in stock (unlike amazon merchants who seem to delight in protracted email correspondence ...).

Ultimately I found that Wiggle beat them for price almost every time.

I always found them to be very good. I think I paid by CC, but it's a while since I used them, so I may be wrong. Delivery was fast, and I only ever had one case of something not really being in stock (unlike amazon merchants who seem to delight in protracted email correspondence ...).

Ultimately I found that Wiggle beat them for price almost every time.

Thanks good to know. :thumb:

Wiggle can be rather limited in their selection, or at least I've found, but then again, I might be looking for oddball stuff :bike:

They seem to have a lot of stuff and good prices, but I wonder if it is "only on the net, and when they get an order, they order it" kind of thing...?

This is exactly what they do--no stock to speak of. I used to order from them a fair bit until I twigged that they are basically just uploading the dealer catalogs of the two main bike parts distributors in Japan, and then getting the part in when you place your order. The site is good for researching what stuff is available here, though.

Another option is to just print out the page of the component you want and take it to your LBS. They have the same catalogs and can order the part for you. It'll arrive quicker, and you don't have to pay shipping.

Nice set up. You made the trailer? Curious about some measurement etc.
1) The wheels on the trailer seem much larger than those on the bike. What is the difference?
2) The frame seems really small, but maybe because of the perspective. The frame is big?
3) How do the brakes on the trailer work. I can see a cable, but can't follow how all the brakes are set up.
4) Interesting bars, but generally I like to have at least a finger on my brakes. How is it with no brakes with a full trailer, or do you just use the rest of the bars without a load?

This is exactly what they do--no stock to speak of. I used to order from them a fair bit until I twigged that they are basically just uploading the dealer catalogs of the two main bike parts distributors in Japan, and then getting the part in when you place your order. The site is good for researching what stuff is available here, though.

Another option is to just print out the page of the component you want and take it to your LBS. They have the same catalogs and can order the part for you. It'll arrive quicker, and you don't have to pay shipping.

Great info Phil, thanks!

Nice set up. You made the trailer? Curious about some measurement etc.
1) The wheels on the trailer seem much larger than those on the bike. What is the difference?
The wheels on the trailer are two rear wheels off of Japanese "Mama-Chari" or shopping bikes, I think they are also 26" but different.

ikedawilliams said:
2) The frame seems really small, but maybe because of the perspective. The frame is big?
Well it is an old, 1988 MTB, they made the frames different back then, much more space over the top tube, I think it is an 18" frame, which was what I was told I should be riding back in 1988.

ikedawilliams said:
3) How do the brakes on the trailer work. I can see a cable, but can't follow how all the brakes are set up.
The brakes on the trailer are parking brakes, they work when the trailer is parked, I flip the red handle up near the hitch to make them work. With any amount of weight in the trailer, it will start to drag the bike downhill without the brakes on.

ikedawilliams said:
4) Interesting bars, but generally I like to have at least a finger on my brakes. How is it with no brakes with a full trailer, or do you just use the rest of the bars without a load?

When hauling the trailer, you usually never go very fast, just not safe, nor is it what the job is about, I'm doing a delivery, not riding a race, mostly I use the horns on the handle bars for extra leverage when I have to get out of the saddle and climb. I too usually ride with one finger on the brakes.

Cheers!

Cool. You get a lot of comments on it when riding around? I have seen some Kuroneko couriers with trailers. Never stopped to see how they have it set up. Will do next time.

Back
Top Bottom