What's new

New road cyclist looking for training groups

Thien Che

Speeding Up
Sep 14, 2020
Hi there!

Originally from Mississippi, moved to the Bay Area for uni/work, now living close to Komazawa Olympic Park after being in Tokyo for ~5 years for grad school and more work. Started cycling more seriously a few months ago due to Covid-19 and motivated to participate in strenuous group rides. Are there any socially distanced training sessions going on during fall/winter?

I'd like to get into domestic touring now and longer distance race events (e.g. gran fondos) in a year or so when this pandemic blows over, although obviously too soon to say with any degree of accuracy or certainty. Currently, I go on the occasional weekend ride with Half Fast Cycling, but am wondering if there are any hobbyist teams with regimented training plans in the area. Thanks, and looking forward to meeting some of you throughout the year!

Cheers,

Thien

Hello @Thien Che

There are lots of Japanese cycling clubs spread around Tokyo. Do you know where the nearest "sport" cycling shop is to you? They will probably organise group rides of some kind and could be a good place to start.
Another option is to check out Cross Coffee, a cycling-themed cafe on the Tama River. They do group rides on Saturday mornings for all-comers (link). Could be a good place to find other riders with similar interests.

Hey @GrantT,

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful response. I've found Positivo Espresso and RCC as the closest clubs to where I live, although Cross Coffee definitely looks worth checking out. I'll do some more looking around, cheers!

Another option is to check out Cross Coffee, a cycling-themed cafe on the Tama River. They do group rides on Saturday mornings for all-comers (link). Could be a good place to find other riders with similar interests.

Does all-comers include fat old men? Looks like fun.

Back
Top Bottom