What's new

New panniers

stafu

Warming-Up
Jun 13, 2011
Hi everyone, new guy hear!

I live in Tokyo and am looking to buy some new panniers, but wondering if there are any bike shops around that have some on display. I have been to shops in Naka Meguro, Shibuya, and near Ginza, but they only special order for their panniers.

Any suggestions? Or would is it just a lost cause / better to order online?

Thanks,
S

welcome to TCC, panniers for camping, extended touring or commuting? What bike set up? What features are you looking for?

welcome to TCC, panniers for camping, extended touring or commuting? What bike set up? What features are you looking for?

Thanks for the response. I will be buying different panniers for different purposes (all of the above), but I haven't been able to find any shops with actual pannier inventory that I can play with.

I think finding stock that you can look at may be hard to do, the Y's in Shinjuku has some that you can look at, but not much.

I have a set of the Ortlieb roll top classic rear panniers, I like them very much.

Great info on the various Ortlieb panniers can be found >> HERE <<
images

I bought my set at Y's Shinjuku, it was kind of an impulse buy :rolleyes: timdesuyo bought his set at Wiggle and they were a LOT cheaper :confused: I should have looked around and checked prices first.

Stuff gets here from Wiggle in less than a week, so maybe that is an option?

If you are in or near Shinjuku you are welcome to come by and check out the Ortlieb panniers I have in person.

Cheers!

I have a set of ortlieb front roller pans that I use on the back of one bike. I only do occasional light touring and they've been fine. At least with this make/type, mixing & matching sizes/positions in that way is something to consider when shopping. (And I got mine from wiggle.)

Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback. The Ortliebs look good and have a decent price. The Ortlieb Back Roller Classics would work for my daily commute / shopping. Do you think those are big enough to fit a 15" laptop in? This isn't something I will do on a regular basis, but I would like to use the panniers for my laptop instead of using a backpack.

It is too bad that there aren't many showroom type bike shops here in Tokyo. From what I can tell most of these shops cater to daily commuters and the racing community. Am I missing something? Are there any shops that are geared more towards touring? or is it just not as popular here?

Also, does the Japanese biking community realize they are paying a premium when they shop at these stores? I have ordered from rakuten and gotten better deals, even more so through wiggle. It is unfortunate because I would love to put money into the local businesses and contribute to the local economy, but the prices are just too high. I have even tried to get the staff at the bike shops to bring the prices down, but they hardly ever budge.

Thanks again,
S

...Do you think those are big enough to fit a 15" laptop in?...

Just checked and my 15" mac pro will easily fit in mine. That's bare naked, but it would still fit with some kind of padded sleeve to protect the machine.

It slightly distorts the bag, as the depth of the machine is just a tad more than the collapsed bag itself. But keep in mind that anything will distort the bag a bit--e.g., how you've packed your tent, how you arrange the six-packs of beer, and so on.

Again, mine are the smaller front pans. The larger rear ones should be no problem at all.

Just checked and my 15" mac pro will easily fit in mine. That's bare naked, but it would still fit with some kind of padded sleeve to protect the machine.

thanks for testing that out for me. I am considering the rear set so there should be plenty of space. I saw the Costco run video too. It looks like these will be pretty good for most of my trips.

thanks again!

Panniers....

I've been using the Ortiliebs,too.
They are/were a great piece of kit.My older ones lasted many years and,indeed,they are still going strong.However,the ones my wife used(more recently)have de-laminated big time and the fastening system isn't as good as the originals.I've moved on to Carradice Super C's and I'm finding them to be excellent.Maybe not as waterproof as the Ortiliebs but way better wearing.
If you're going to be carrying a lap top in them just put it in a Zip-Lock and you'll be good to go.Made of a natural material,too.
Also their customer service is excellent if you have any questions.

Yup. I run all over town with usually just the left rear roller. I suppose if I was really hauling something, I'd need the other one, too, but I haven't used it yet. Even my heavy grocery shopping trips have been one-pannier. But the waterproofyness of the Ortleib Rollers has been a huge piece of mind carrying my electronics around in the rainy season.

So I guess you are all Ortleib salesmen? I ordered a pair last night from Wiggle. Where do I send your commission? :)

This is my first set of "real" panniers. I have always just used makeshift panniers, messenger bags, vinyl bags, milk crates, etc to carry my stuff. I am looking forward to finally getting a good set hooked up.

I am planning on doing a lot of long tours around Japan. I found this site www.japancycling.org which has some routes, but the site seems a bit outdated. Can you recommend any other sites (besides google maps) that have more details about touring Japan?

So I guess you are all Ortleib salesmen? I ordered a pair last night from Wiggle. Where do I send your commission? :)

This is my first set of "real" panniers. I have always just used makeshift panniers, messenger bags, vinyl bags, milk crates, etc to carry my stuff. I am looking forward to finally getting a good set hooked up.

I am planning on doing a lot of long tours around Japan. I found this site www.japancycling.org which has some routes, but the site seems a bit outdated. Can you recommend any other sites (besides google maps) that have more details about touring Japan?

I'm sure that you will be happy with them, congrats!

Some complain they take too long to roll up each time to close them, well maybe they are correct, but I know that once I roll mine up and they are closed, nothing is getting in there, no rain or bugs! Some like the kind of Panniers that have little compartments and pockets for various things, I think this could be useful for commuting, but for me, in my touring days, I like one LARGE compartment, then I used stuff sacks to put things into that went into the LARGE compartment, I found this was better for equalizing the weight carried from side to side (depending on how much food etc you carry) and I could move stuff around, which let me be much more flexible. I don't know but I would think that here in Japan for most touring you can get away with just the two rear panniers and will not need the front ones, unless you plan to cook all of your meals and spend every night in your tent.

What color did you get? :D

What color did you get? :D

I like how they are mainly just big open bags. I like organizing my supplies without being forced into figuring out how to utilize a million pockets.

I ended up getting red. I was going to get yellow but they are discontinued according to wiggle. Red is fine for me, pretty high vis, nice looking on my black bike.

Any recommendations for a rear trunk? Anyone have the Ortlieb trunk bag?

Also, I finally bought my GPS navi. Anyone else have this model? ;)

I used to have a Bike Box 3. very nice, and roomy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe9b6xd1KEc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I like how they are mainly just big open bags. I like organizing my supplies without being forced into figuring out how to utilize a million pockets.

I ended up getting red. I was going to get yellow but they are discontinued according to wiggle. Red is fine for me, pretty high vis, nice looking on my black bike.

Any recommendations for a rear trunk? Anyone have the Ortlieb trunk bag?

Also, I finally bought my GPS navi. Anyone else have this model? ;)

you used to have a Bike Box 3.... why did you get rid of it?

I just wasn't using it any more ... and gave it to a friend.

It worked well, but an issue was the clunky bracket that has to be attached to the rack. It is quite heavy, and also has the effect of lowering the top rail the panniers hang from ~ which had an impact on heel-clearance.

This was my touring set up, tent sleeping bag, spares and clothes for over a month.

This was my touring set up, tent sleeping bag, spares and clothes for over a month.

What, no fenders? :D

When I lived in Vancouver we could almost always count on rain during a tour, so fenders were a must!

Love the third water bottle holder on the Cannondales, even my old SM500 has one! :cool:

What, no fenders? :D

When I lived in Vancouver we could almost always count on rain during a tour, so fenders were a must!

If it's raining and you're riding longer than 30 minutes, you will get wet, why bother trying to stay dry. (had them on for commuting duties but touring? no need). Guess us Kiwis are just bred with more waterproof skin than you Canucks. BTW commiserations about getting you collective asses whooped in game seven:p

Back
Top Bottom