What's new

UPDATE New Media gallery

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
Today, I have installed Xen Media Gallery , a new gallery add-on (accessible through the top menu) much better integrated into Xenforo than the former script which we have been using since 2005. The transition appeared to be flawless, permissions and counters have already been updated.

If you happen to find any glitches, errors, etc, please report them in this thread. As the new script is quite complex, we'll continue to fine-tune the settings in the days to come. Expect a few cosmetic changes, too.

Main features:

• upload multiple files at once (just like in forum posts)
  • create user albums
  • all media items can be liked, edited, commented on, rated, and reported; the same applies to comments added to media.
  • media items have easy to use share links (share the page, the full size image, or even BB Code to copy/paste on other sites or elsewhere on the forum)
  • see the media uploaded by each member via a profile tab or a link on their member card
  • full integration with News Feed and Recent Activity
  • full integration with Daily Statistics (media uploads, size, likes etc.)

We do look forward to your feedback. :)

PS: I am aware of the fact that not all Japanese titles and comments were properly imported resulting in occasional mojibake.

Last edited:
It indicates the number of new media added since your last visit. I've uploaded a test image.

On the Forums page four photos appear at the top of the screen. These four photos change every time I reload the page.

At the beginning, I thought that they cluttered the page with unwanted material. But now I find the photographs rather cool. They make me want to venture further afield and explore untravelled routes or, on those days when I feel I can't be arsed to go out, they provide a little impetus to get out and ride more.

A thumbs up from me.

Seems to be something wrong with my browser at work (Internet Explorer 8) though - the Media galery is fine, but the forums page now crashes as soon as the pictures at the top load.

It crashes with "unreconcilable error" and tries to recover. Repeats x2 page load with crash at the point of photos loading, then gives the white page "we are unable to return you to... ...Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore... It appears that the website continues to have a problem..etc"

http://theie8countdown.com

I realize using IE8 may not be your personal choice, but I recommend to upgrade to a modern browser. Most webmasters and programmers do not bother with that incompliant dinosaur anymore.

Seems to be something wrong with my browser at work (Internet Explorer 8) though - the Media galery is fine, but the forums page now crashes as soon as the pictures at the top load.

It crashes with "unreconcilable error" and tries to recover. Repeats x2 page load with crash at the point of photos loading, then gives the white page "we are unable to return you to... ...Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore... It appears that the website continues to have a problem..etc"

http://theie8countdown.com

I realize using IE8 may not be your personal choice, but I recommend to upgrade to a modern browser. Most webmasters and programmers do not bother with that incompliant dinosaur anymore.

A reiteration, from the position of programming / technical compatibility on this website; there will be absolutely no work, time or effort put in to remedy any problems encountered with any out of date browser and related software. All updates, additions, fine tuning, plugins, user interface, etc., will be carried out / created with a focus firmly on the latest internet browsing software. Any issues experienced due to the usage of out of date software are the sole responsibility of the end user to remedy, through the extremely simple, quick and cost-zero task of updating the software.

I realize using IE8 may not be your personal choice
These are the tools I am forced to use at work:cry:. My choice of browser outside work is very modern (and very fluid depending what works best with any one site)

Use IE8 to download Firefox and step into a new age. Work computer should allow you do download and run Firefox.
I only have a limited experience of IT in large corporate firms, but the four I've worked for all had a complete lock down being able to install anything new. However I did try to see what would happen this time and.....:tdown: (although I was impressed that my firm hadn't actually blocked the firefox website, like they do most other similar sites)

there will be absolutely no work, time or effort put in to remedy any problems encountered with any out of date browser and related software
That's fine if you are adding functionality that wasn't there before and the IE8 user can't take advantage of - totally agree with that policy. In this case you have added something to a existing critical site page that stops the user from continuing to do what they did before.;)

That's fine if you are adding functionality that wasn't there before and the IE8 user can't take advantage of - totally agree with that policy. In this case you have added something to a existing critical site page that stops the user from continuing to do what they did before.;)

That's fine is it? You are 'allowing' this to happen, are you? Let's make this even clearer. Any problems experienced with Internet Explorer version 8 will not be addressed in any way (unless done so by @Half-Fast Mike, it turns out.)

Last edited:
@macrophotofly does your work computer have AdBlock or similar that you can manually edit to make IE ignore the new component and restore your functionality?

The line in mine is
Code:
www.tokyocycle.com##DIV[class="xmgCarouselContainer ltr sectionMain"]

If I post an image on, say, the "Today - July 2014" thread, does the image automatically get uploaded to the Media Gallery?

@macrophotofly

What is all this ridiculousness?

You are getting your knickers in a twist because we refuse to support a 5 year old, multiple-times out of date browser, which you want us to spend the time and effort to backwards compatible the new media gallery plug-in to, just so you can browse at work at your desk, and this is somehow me purposefully installing a 'UserBlock' as a hint for you to no longer use the site? If you care to read the first post in this thread, you will notice that it was actually Thomas who installed the plug-in, so therefore you should aim your utterly insane accusations of 'UserBlock'ing you at him...

Anyway, whatever mate. We are clearly not blocking anybody; not supporting Internet Explorer 8 is entirely reasonable. A loose analogy for you;

Expecting us to support Internet Explorer 8 is like expecting a 9 speed cassette to work with Dura Ace 9000 and then getting in a huff and having a go at Shimano when that is not the case.

As you are no longer going to use the site, send me a PM if you want to have your account deactivated.

Reactions: jdd
If I post an image on, say, the "Today - July 2014" thread, does the image automatically get uploaded to the Media Gallery?

@Sibreen

No, anything uploaded to the main forum, as an attachment to a comment is separate to the Media Gallery; check this yourself, by searching your own username here; nothing you have uploaded to the main forum will be there.

Search here, for your convenience; https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/search/?type=xengallery_media

Back
Top Bottom