What's new

New in Yokohama

Marc smith

Warming-Up
May 6, 2013
Hi I'm Marc, recently moved out to Yokohama. I'm British but I've moved here because of a new job.

I took up cycling last year as I was working in Switzerland and it was a great way to get fit and also see the country.

I got out on my bike here in yokohama this weekend for the first time in Japan. Just starting to build up my fitness levels again and done a couple of 30km rides.

Planning to head down to Odawara and explore some routes into the mountains and get out of the city.

Any hints tips and advice would be welcomed as would anyone who's heading out at weekends

Marc

Stay off the moors.

Welcome to the forums, loads and loads and loads of great riding out of Yokohama. Where in Yokohama are you located?

Yamashita Koen is the start of one of my favourite winter training rides that takes you around the Miura Pennisular. One of the only issues of the coast ride is that it's also very popular with motorised touring and the coastal roads can get very busy, especailly around the Kamakura and Enoshima areas that are massive tourist attractions.

Here is the route for the Miura ride: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/147533631

The coastal road is pretty flat with only a few rollers thrown in - a better ride is in the interior with climbs up to Miyagase dam and then Yabitsu Toge and then down to Odawara. From there you can either take the coastal road back to Yokohama or using a bike bag (Rinko Bag) take the train home.

Here is the Yabitsu ride with train home: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/20744626

Welcome to Yokohama!

I take the train often to get out of town.
I am not a committed rider like some others (I may ride twice a week) - so I prefer to move my starting point closer to the 'attraction' than to start from Chinatown.
Last Saturday, I went to Sagamino Station and then rode out to Yabitsu and headed back to the train station.
82km total and I was able to get back home to enjoy the afternoon with my wife.

Thanks guys, good info!

I'm planning to take the train down to Odawara or hayakawa and take in some routes down there, are the mountain pass roads fairly good?

I have my rinko bag ready, so I just need a free weekend to hit it :)

Welcome Marc!
I just rode from Yokohama to Odawara and back this past Monday! It's a pretty decent ride with some forgiving slopes at both ends and plenty of flat ground in between. Even if you take a train down there keep an eye on the wind levels (not that the forecast ever gets it right) but the coastal roads were terribly windy westbound last Monday. Also, there's rain on Sunday, so keep an eye on the weather!

Cheers Olo, I headed out towards Odawara on Monday but wasnt sure of the roads and whether I was able to ride on the dual carriageways, so turned around at Totsuku.

I'm hoping to get away from the coast a little and into the mountains.

One other thought, does anyone know where I can get hold of a garmin sd card with Japanese maps for the garmin edge 800? It's ok without the maps, it just plots the route, but would be great if I had the maps. I brought mine in Europe so only have the Euro maps.

This is an OSM map that you can download for free and generally has pretty high accuracy. It uses ASCII characters instead of Japanese characters so it works on non-Japanese Garmins. If you throw it on a cheap MicroSD it is pretty inexpensive. It does not allow address searches like UUD does, but if it is for short term use or you don't need searching the price is right!

http://tmz.skr.jp/data/gmap.html

Back
Top Bottom