What's new

New guy from So Cal

cubex

Speeding Up
Nov 4, 2011
Hey everyone! I just moved to Tokyo from Los Angeles a couple months ago for school and I'm looking to get into riding. Back home I have a BMC Trailfox 02 that I built up and a fixed gear. I guess I'm what you would call a weekend warrior. Currently I'm looking to get into road and I'm looking at a Cannondale CAAD10 and a Trek Madone 4.7 C H2. When it comes to road bikes I have no clue what to look for or what I want so I'm looking for a little advice here. I prefer carbon or aluminum for frame material and really don't want to spend more than 20,000yen but I will if I have to. Anyways I go between Nishitokyo and Setagaya so if you know of any good bike shops in the areas or anywhere in between let me know please. Thanks in advance and I look forward to riding with you guys in the near feature.
Daniel

Hi there.

By 20,000yen, I am guessing you actually mean 200,000yen?

I'm not used to the big numbers haha my bad.
Yeah 200,000

It's all about the size here. If you are under 180cm then loads of options. If you are taller then they exponentially decrease. As for carbon vs alloy - there are tons of threads and debates, discussion here. For 200,000 yen retail you can generally expect in Japan a solid Ultegra build with some room to upgrade into a fairly decent wheelset. If you de-brand a bit, you'll get better wheels and cockpit. The brands kinda mess with you because they skimp out on the cockpit , wheels and group with lots of lower substitutions because they are selling you 'the name'. IMO - you'll get tons more for your buck by:

1) Getting a mail order clearance bike with best groupset possible.
2) Staying as far away from 'brands' as possible unless you really do need that Prince of Spain or EVO to win a podium at the next TDF.
3) Looking at some of the used bike or clearance bike options (like at Aksasaka Y's basement) or Yahoo Auction.

I'm not used to the big numbers haha my bad.
Yeah 200,000

I'm definitely a small guy I usually ride a 50 or a 52. My cousin used to work at Y's Road so I have him helping me out a little. I was looking to get a 105 or an Ultegra group set. Don't really know anything about "off brands" so I guess I just have to go hunting.

Welcome!

1) Getting a mail order clearance bike with best groupset possible.
3) Looking at some of the used bike or clearance bike options (like at Aksasaka Y's basement) or Yahoo Auction.

Both of these are great ideas. I spent a lot of time looking for a clearance bike online, eventually sourced one from the US. A couple months later saw the same one at Y's in Akasaka for very near the price (close enough to make the hassle of ordering outside of japan not really worth it. So def have a look!

I now work at Y's Road Shinjuku so come say Hi if your in the neighborhood

Haha! great! My goal is to have all the crew at Y's riding our gear!

WELL WELL this is a pleasant surprise!!!! I am no longer the only gaijin working at y's! Nice to meet you! I work at Y's in Shibuya! I'll have to come say hi sometime!

I find myself cycling to Y's road in Shinjuku almost weekly, whenever I can come up with a good enough excuse ("yes, I really needed that second bottle holder") Yesterday my son was looking for new tyres for his road bike, so of course we had to go there and get in a quick 25 km round trip.

Next time I go there, how do I recognize you?

I didn't know your name but I saw you cycling that way when I was on my way to the job interview like a week or two ago :p looking forward to seeing you come in

you'll recognize me I'll probably be the only white guy in the store with a Y's staff shirt

Which Y's, by the way? There are at least 4 around Shinjuku.

Y's本店
the main store in the Y's building across from the clothing store

That's the one in the basement, where you pass the smokers as you're going to the downstairs entrance, then face the Y's Road Wear store as you come in. The main store is on the left around the corner, after some restaurant (according to the map there's also a Y's custom bike store nearby, but that's a different building).

There are often parking controllers out there on the side walk ticketing bikes, but the main shop has a rack to hang your bike from at its entrance, so I always take my bike into the building.

Y's本店
the main store in the Y's building across from the clothing store

Do you mean the BYGS Building with the three Y's shops, two on the B1 level and one on the B2 level?

If so that is the shop I go to regular like, so I'll most likely run into you.

You work in the main shop on the B1 level, right? right near the escalator?

Cheers!

I guess you don't start work until 3PM :D

Missed you when I went by there today for some odds and sods.

Cheers!

I forgot to mention I don't work everyday come by on Sunday and you will see me for sure

Just because virtually every foreigner in Japanese TV commercials is blond and blue eyed, it doesn't mean every guy from So Cal will be too.

Back
Top Bottom