What's new

New guy from So Cal

Actually most people from Socal are either Asian or Latino.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0115712f862a970c-500wi.jpg

A tip: I buy packs of 10 flour tortillas at the nearby Kaldi Coffee Farm shop (http://www.kaldi.co.jp/stores/kanto.php), as well as taco spice and sauce for cooking at home when I need a fix of burritos.

In emergencies you can go to KFC and order their twister (chicken in a tortilla wrap).

A tip: I buy packs of 10 flour tortillas at the nearby Kaldi Coffee Farm shop (http://www.kaldi.co.jp/stores/kanto.php), as well as taco spice and sauce for cooking at home when I need a fix of burritos.

In emergencies you can go to KFC and order their twister (chicken in a tortilla wrap).

It looks like I have a Kaldi very close to me. So you are saying they have tortillas, spice and sauce... is that right?

Kaldi is pretty good. I just make my own tortillas - flour and water is cheap. For corn ones, I get some Masa sent over about every 3 months. The corn tortillas here are always stale from sitting on the shelf. I'll be over at Y's a couple times today, I'm sure - maybe see you there!

It looks like I have a Kaldi very close to me. So you are saying they have tortillas, spice and sauce... is that right?

Yes. The tortillas are imported from Australia it seems, but they taste like the real thing.

Kaldi is not the cheapest, but they have a good selection of imported food (it's also where I get my Bavarian sauerkraut). If you're seeking some ingredient from back home to nourish your soul, they're the place to go.

Tim, maybe I need to get your tortilla recipe :)

Flour is easy:

4:1 ratio of water to flour. Use any white flour - or wholewheat .
1:8 ratio of shortening to flour
small amount of baking powder (the more you add, the fluffier the tortillas)
a slightly larger amount of salt.

Make sure water is warm - not hot, but around 50 or so.
Mix the flour and baking powder
Cut in the shortening
Dissolved the salt into the water and add it
Mix it - don't knead it
After you have it well mixed, let it sit for about 30min.
Coat your hands with shortening or butter then form the balls
Roll them out just like a pizza
Cook them on a flat iron - about 10-15s each side

For authentic Mexican use real lard instead of shortening. For more healthy use Canola Oil or something like that. Same recipe makes Chapati and virtually any other kind of flat bread. So just mess around with it a bit.

Yes. The tortillas are imported from Australia it seems, but they taste like the real thing.

Kaldi is not the cheapest, but they have a good selection of imported food (it's also where I get my Bavarian sauerkraut). If you're seeking some ingredient from back home to nourish your soul, they're the place to go.

Tim, maybe I need to get your tortilla recipe :)

didn't mention something important :p I work on Tuesdays and Saturday from 1:00PM and all day on Sunday ask for Hasegawa-san (don't worry I look gaijin cause I'm only half Japanese)

That was the joke, you silly bugger.

Mate.... look at the Flag in his profile.... it will explain everything. There is a reason we are an Island nation ;)

LOL, the Scottish may have something to say about that, but yeah, I glanced over at the flag and thought, "yeah..."

didn't mention something important :p I work on Tuesdays and Saturday from 1:00PM and all day on Sunday ask for Hasegawa-san (don't worry I look gaijin cause I'm only half Japanese)
I was in there yesterday about 1PM, and I did not see you, I'm a big fat Canadian guy with a red shirt. :D

Now I know your name I'll ask for you the next time I go in.

LOL, the Scottish may have something to say about that, but yeah, I glanced over at the flag and thought, "yeah..."

I actually thought it was funny on so many levels Owen especailly the Gaijin wannabe kit.

I make my own tortillas too, as the ones from Kaldi have sh!t loads of E numbers in them. Really easy as GSAtuto says, but i use butter instead of shortening. Too lazy to post recipe...but don`t forget the flour when rolling. Never tried cooking them on an iron though! ;)

Best buys in Kaldi are Alara deluxe Muesli and Janat Ceylon tea. Still waiting for them to start stocking Heinz Baked Beans...:pray:

You not thought of getting the real mexican ones from costco?

Cheers, but I actually enjoy a bit of the home baking. Now where did I leave my apron...

PS: If there`s going to be an apron version of the new TCC Kit, then count me in!

Back
Top Bottom