What's new

new girl on a road bike

koribeyer

Speeding Up
May 29, 2008
Hi all,

I've been following this board for a couple of months and am happy such a nice community exists in Tokyo. I commute partially along the Kyu-edogawa so I may have seen some of you as we dodged all those people walking their tiny dogs.

So far, most of my biking experience is commuting. I commute on my Bianchi Brava from Funabashi to Toyosu when the weather is good and I don't have after work commitments (maybe 3 times a week, 50km RT). As I get in better shape, I'm looking to do long weekend rides (Sun or Mon) and a bike tour in early August.

I'm still don't know a lot about how to tune up my bike and I'm crap at changing tires but I love riding and am eager to learn how to get my hands dirty and fix stuff up.

I look forward to a weekend ride with you guys (and gals? are you out there too?)!
Any advice for getting through the rainy season on a bike that's not made for fenders?

Thanks! 宜しくお願いします。
日本語も大丈夫

Welcome Kori . . .

Sounds like you are achieving a good weekly mileage. Why not join one of the TCC tours? You will find plenty of guys available to change your tires and offer advice (which I advise you to ignore) :D You may want to investigate the Tour de Westside:

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=769

Regarding fenders - you can buy a big plastic rear fender that clips to your seatpost from any bike shop. It ain't pretty, but it's effective. Alternatively, Topeak have released a new fender set for road bikes that do not accept standard fenders - the DeFender (sic).

http://www.topeak.com/products/Fenders/DeFenderR1_R2_Set

Cheers,

Philip

Thanks guys! I hope to come on the Westside tour, depending on an elusive business trip that may happen in July.

Someone recommended the ShinMatsudo Seo bike shop in a previous thread (perhaps on taking bikes on trains?) and I'd definitely second that recommendation and add the Minami Funabashi LaLaPort Seo bike shop as well. ShinMatsudo didn't have my size...

I've got a fender and am water proofing some gear and upgrading to clip-in petals this week. Wish me luck in the rain!

Thanks for the help and I hope to ride with you soon.

p.s. though I could probably use help with flats, I'm not the type who's eager to play the "damsel in distress" card. :eek:

はじめまして。僕も毎日10キロを自転車通勤しています。最初はほんとにいけるかなって、心配だったけれどやってみるとなんとかなるものですよね。koriさんの自転車通勤事情についても教えてください。お互いに楽しく自転車通勤できるといいですね!

Taku

Fenders

SKS make a set of fenders that strap onto any frame not made with eyelets. They offer pretty full coverage. They are light. And, most importantly, they are easy/quick to put on and take off. I think they are called "Race Blade" or something to that effect. I have a set and use them all the time.

Welcome to the cycling community.

Ted

Thanks guys! I hope to come on the Westside tour, depending on an elusive business trip that may happen in July.

Someone recommended the ShinMatsudo Seo bike shop in a previous thread (perhaps on taking bikes on trains?) and I'd definitely second that recommendation and add the Minami Funabashi LaLaPort Seo bike shop as well. ShinMatsudo didn't have my size...

I've got a fender and am water proofing some gear and upgrading to clip-in petals this week. Wish me luck in the rain!

Thanks for the help and I hope to ride with you soon.

p.s. though I could probably use help with flats, I'm not the type who's eager to play the "damsel in distress" card. :eek:

koribeyer, There is a SEO in Funabashi too, it's actually the 1st ever SEO shop and I believe it's also the head office. You should try there as well....

Back
Top Bottom