What's new

New from giant bikes

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019

Well it looks like the electric battery bikes rather are going to be a thing of the future here.

You guys want to buy one when they come down and price a bit.

Wouldn't mind an ebike if the batteries were easy to rent when travelling overseas. I don't think the infrastructure is there yet, maybe another 10 years.

Yeah I was wondering about the batteries where they could have a standard size battery for the popular bikes of course every manufacturer wants to capitalize on their own style of battery but it wouldn't make things pretty easy where you can have battery shops and just drop off your

I don't think this would be legal here--local version probably has a lower limit:
MotorGiant SyncDrive Life, powered by Yamaha. Pedal support up to 28 mph.

In Germany and Switzerland there's a distinction between e-bikes upto 25kph and upto 45kph. The first one is considered as a regular bike the latter is considered (roughly) as a motorvehicle and therefore needs insurance, driving licence and to be ridden on streets only.
There are some differences between the two countries though, e.g. it seems do be not allowed to pull a trailer with a person (child) with a 45kph e-bike in Germany while it's okay in Switzerland. (My brother and his wife are mountainbikers and "Danny daycare" is not that far off anymore, though it their own daughter.)
I wouldn't be surprised if the basic understanding of those vehicle is somewhat similar in Japan.

In my eyes the battery is one thing that brings a notable downside to e-bikes as well as e-cars etc. as long as there's that environmental issue and the limited range. But maybe I'm just not up to date and it's not that much of a problem anymore.

I don't think this would be legal here--local version probably has a lower limit:
MotorGiant SyncDrive Life, powered by Yamaha. Pedal support up to 28 mph.
@jdd is right. Since it doesn't meet the requirements for electric-assist bicycles in Japan (electric assist needs to progressively decrease as you approach 25 km/h and cease completely at that speed) it would be classified as a motorcycle. That means, a drivers license, insurance, license plates and wearing a helmet are all required unless you only use it off public roads (on private property).

(deleted, wrong thread)

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong I see the benefits of an e-bike for people who are old-er or have some other health related issues in which they need to keep the aerobic threshold to a minimum. But isn't the whole point of cycling to stay in shape? Am I missing something here with this e-bike craze simply manufactured by companies finding new ways to make money?

"But isn't the whole point of cycling to stay in shape?"

Not exactly the 'whole' point. For some, the fitness benefits are just one factor of several important ones that come with biking. For example, there are folks out there who just want to commute to work and avoid the traffic jams. Others just want to explore their area at a leisurely pace and get outside in the fresh air. The fitness benefit is a plus, not a priority.

E-bikes aren't for me, yet... but I can see that in another few years, if that's what it takes to help me get outside and do some longer rides, they might be an attractive option.

For the elderly here in yamaguchi I see one out of three bicycles that are in electric type of bicycle that the elderly are riding.

Back
Top Bottom