What's new

New Dura-Ace

Hmmm..

-Carbon clinchers (unless they are only showing the carbon tubulars, and the clincher models have metal braking surfaces like before)
-11-30T cassette. That's good. No clue about the internal design though...
-Syncro Shifting; let's guess how many people will use that (none)
-Official Dura Ace disc setup
-Meaner looking rim brakes

No info about the Di2 cables, and junctions.

Meh.

Love it all (the parts I want that is), bad news is early 2017.... Although it gives me time to save up.

C40 disc tubeless... Love at first sight

No info about the Di2 cables, and junctions.
Cycling tips had good rundown of that... Seems ok, bit stupid that they didn't incorporate the wireless transmitter in a the a junction, but not that important for me personally

image.jpeg As long as this became a reality I was not gonna be disappointed :)

Slimmer/lighter levers for di2 discs are the second wish that also came true.

Bring on 2017

Looks like the Di componentary will all be plug and play with the 9000 D-A and Ultegra Di stuff - still branded as Di2 and there is talk in the Cycletips article of being able to just buy the new battery and inline Bluetooth sender to upgrade for synchro

Reality hits home... Just spotted that the MTB XT range was announced in April and some way off being available in the shops so this new D-A not being available until 2017 is typical (and very disappointing.)
Like @saibot I'll be waiting for the new Hydraulic levers (and probably the new discs). But 6 months away......

@D'Pioneer I'd put money on the new rear derailleur and a front derailleur being able to be plugged into an existing 9000 set-up, with maybe only the battery needing to be upgraded (given it has some new chip in it). Shifters, cable and junction boxes could all stay. That's on the basis you can plug the XTR components into Di2 stuff that moment providing you have the internal battery (eg you have to upgrade from an external battery if you still have one) and use both a front and rear XTR derailleur. But Shimano might be generous on the requirement for a front derailleur - I run a ultegra Di front derailleur with a D-A rear derailleur at the moment...

Talking of which, that might be my CX 1x11 solution - XT rear derailleur when it finally comes on sale....

They have a complete bike on display at nalsima at the moment, felt it up this afternoon. Crank looks mighty impressive in the flesh. The shadow rear mech seem like a very good idea, really hides it "under" the cassette instead of sticking out too much.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Also asked Seo cycles about when to expect separate parts would be available, he said most likely November (only mechanical)

All the disc stuff and di2 seem to be spring next year.

Not a fan. Of the looks anyway. Maybe it will look better in person.

Had a look at the bike in Nalsima as well. Cable routing around the front derailleur is strange, so I guess there must be some very clever reason for it I don't understand. The new quick release design on the brakes is smart, and there seems to be a decent amount of clearance there. The new girth on the crank arm looks good, though by the pristine chain ring teeth you can tell no one has ridden this group yet. As for the rear derailleur, it's connection to the bike looks a bit flimsy to me, since it screws into a bit that then screws onto the hanger. Seems like that could result in extra wobble.

Had a look at the bike in Nalsima as well. Cable routing around the front derailleur is strange, so I guess there must be some very clever reason for it I don't understand.

That is just the way the 'expert' in the shop has 'set up it'. The manual on tech.shimano.com shows the correct way to route it. It is a very impressive system they have designed for this part, allowing either a bare inner cable to be used, or finishing with the outer cable slotting directly into the mech itself. This depends on the frame used, of course, but having the outer going all the way to the mech will mean the inner is not exposed anywhere, either in or outside the frame, and lubrication can be used too making for a really slick moving (and long lasting) mechanism.

GrantT said:
As for the rear derailleur, it's connection to the bike looks a bit flimsy to me, since it screws into a bit that then screws onto the hanger. Seems like that could result in extra wobble.

The size of the fasteners used here will not allow for any play to develop. The bolts used on rear mech hangers are far more flimsy, and they never go wobbly. This two part system means the rear mech can be direct mounted to frames with that as a standard (which will be all of them in a year or two), which is a system that removes the flimsy rear mech hanger, and comes with a variety of other advantages, especially with disc frames, and all that.

Back
Top Bottom