What's new

New Dura Ace 9000 Group - 11 Speed

The power pedals are in the market yes - but from what I hear the failure rate is pretty high - according to a friend that had a pair to test, one pedal strike or drop and they are dead, exactly the reason why Garmin havenot released thier version yet.

Also the rumour about Shimano releasing a BB based power meter is debunk in the photo above - The one posted is Shimano's SRM.

The power pedals are in the market yes - but from what I hear the failure rate is pretty high - according to a friend that had a pair to test, one pedal strike or drop and they are dead, exactly the reason why Garmin havenot released thier version yet.

Also the rumour about Shimano releasing a BB based power meter is debunk in the photo above - The one posted is Shimano's SRM.

Velonews`s caption describes that picture as:-
"New 11-speed rings on a Dura-Ace 7800 SRM unit, with what appears to be an updated spider. Perhaps SRM will launch an 11-speed version just as Shimano does."
But then, they are known to be wrong...
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/gallery/giro-tech-sky-riding-prototype-11-speed-shimano-dura-ace_217631

Shimano Dura Ace 9000

Shimano launched the new Dura Ace 9000 group today.
Tons of photos on Velo News and Bike Radar.

Summary here:
http://cyclitis.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/shimano-dura-ace-9000-launch/

The battery will move into the saddle post.

And the new long and ugly front derailleurs are designed in that way to have a longer lever that requires less force from the shifting action.
I could imagine that the Shimano engineers spend some time to improve the shifting performance that was lost from 7800 to 7900 migration (or 6600 to 6700 in case of Ultegra).

I could imagine that the Shimano engineers spend some time to improve the shifting performance that was lost from 7800 to 7900 migration (or 6600 to 6700 in case of Ultegra).

Looks like they took a hint from those Cancellara Paris-Roubaix "engine-in-saddle-post" rumors :D. Very clever and nice though - I personally like the futuristic & minimally-invasive looks.

Yes, the brakes are the most interesting part of the new Dura Ae 9000 group. I would like to try them once they are available at Ultegra quality (and price level).

So here is my guess: The new Dura Ace group is named 9000 because we will see in due time an upgrade of the Ultegra from 6000 to 8000. As for Dura Ace 9000 there will be a mechanical and an electric version of the Ultegra 8000 sharing all of the components where possible (brakes, cranks, chain, wheels, pedals .....)

However there will be no electric version of the 105 group for the time being. The next 105 update will be from 5700 to 5800.

I predict that in 5-7yrs time Shimano will drop the confusing numbering system and start referring to their groupsets as 'Nuovo', 'Super' or 'Duper' followed by 'Record'. At which time a familiar Italian manufacturer will release their first version of an all new AI neuro-linked groupset starting with the number series 'H9000'.

105 is going electric and the rumor mills are saying there is no need for the elctrical components to be replaced in the current Di2 range as all they can be flashed to take 11 speed cassettes - the chain width is no different to the 10 speed group set as shown by pro tour riders using standard 10 speed cassettes at resent Tours.

...AI neuro-linked groupset starting with the number series 'H9000'...

Hal, change gear please.
Hal-9000-eye.jpg

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Just finished a race and not placed as well as you had hoped:

Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

Haha - I'm glad a couple of you caught that. But , seriously, what is Shimano thinking naming their DA lineup the '9000' ? It just begs for it!

However - I was nearly all set to 'Campy UP' based on scouting some too-good-to-miss deals, but this new DA groupset looks like Shimano <finally> has it's engineering head in the right place (not up each other's b***) And it looks like it's been designed by Cal Arts. A combo I can def dig.

Just finished a race and not placed as well as you had hoped:

Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

It's probably paranoia on my part but it surely can't be healthy having all that electricity swirling around next to the crown jewels.

Just had a fiddle with the new electronic Super Record in the LBS and the DA looks a hell of a lot better than that mess.

105 is going electric and the rumor mills are saying there is no need for the elctrical components to be replaced in the current Di2 range as all they can be flashed to take 11 speed cassettes - the chain width is no different to the 10 speed group set as shown by pro tour riders using standard 10 speed cassettes at resent Tours.

The chain width isnt different, but the chain itself is acc. to Bike Radar:

"An extra sprocket out back means a new chain. It's the same width as Shimano's 10-speed chains but has a slightly shorter pitch (the distance between the chain rivets). The sprockets are exactly the same thickness as on 10-speed Dura-Ace, just closer together. This means a wider freehub body is required (by around 1.5mm)."

I would therefore doubt that a 9000er chain is compatible with a 10 speed cassette and vice versa. The index movement of the rear derailleur can be controlled electronically, so one could use the same components on 10 and 11 speed sprockets by modifying the software.

Slightly shorter pitch? So now they're messing with the Queen's 'inch' are they ?? Sacreligous. Even the Italians had sense enough not to mess with THAT! @Owen - I saw a display at Y's maniac that brought tears to my eyes. The half cobbled together SR Electronic on some sort of hobby stand. Dead battery, half undone tape, levers askew. It was almost as if they were trying to display it in as poor condition as possible. I got them to put a fresh battery in and tweak it a bit. The shifting was blazingly fast and precise. I hope / wonder if the 9000 really is 'all that'.

It's the same width as Shimano's 10-speed chains but has a slightly shorter pitch (the distance between the chain rivets).

According to this article posted earlier:
http://www.roadbikeaction.com/Related-Stories/content/67/5371/First-Look-2013-Shimano-Dura-Ace.html

Unless Shimano is planning on making 10-speed cassettes for their 11-speed drivetrain, I highly doubt that the pitch has changed. Plus, no other review mentions it. I think BikeRadar got that one wrong.

BikeRumor has a fairly detailed description of the new chain, and they don't mention it either:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/31/2013-shimano-dura-ace-unveiled/

Owen - I saw a display at Y's maniac that brought tears to my eyes. The half cobbled together SR Electronic on some sort of hobby stand. Dead battery, half undone tape, levers askew. It was almost as if they were trying to display it in as poor condition as possible. I got them to put a fresh battery in and tweak it a bit. The shifting was blazingly fast and precise. I hope / wonder if the 9000 really is 'all that'.

Well, I saw this in Omiya SEO, and they had it in equal sitting with the rest of the groupset related stuff. I don't get a sinister vibe at all from Omiya SEO; I am an INFJ who is hyper sensitive to all that, don't you know, and I could just feel that they were displaying it equally.

I just thought that the actual components looked whack. Probably operate very well, but I get the same feeling from the Campag designs as I do when I see a man wearing a green checked suit, dark red paisley tie, and a pin striped orange shirt. Just looks wrong.

All the parts look like some teenage DeviantArt members' homage to H.R.Giger.

Just look at the rear mech then glance over to the chainset... where is the continuity?

Anyway; it probably works well.

Aaaaaand rest. Rant over.

105 is going electric and the rumor mills are saying there is no need for the elctrical components to be replaced in the current Di2 range as all they can be flashed to take 11 speed cassettes

FarEast, did you actually hear if Shimano will release an update for existing DA 7970 Di2 to go 11sp then?
Would love the ability to update my Di2 when I convert to 11sp.

However - I was nearly all set to 'Campy UP' based on scouting some too-good-to-miss deals, but this new DA groupset looks like Shimano <finally> has it's engineering head in the right place (not up each other's b***) And it looks like it's been designed by Cal Arts. A combo I can def dig.

Sorry but I disagree I think the past 20 years shimano has produced top quality gear that works and is affordable as well as looking pretty good to boot.

Back
Top Bottom