New cyclist in Tokyo!

AxelS

Warming-Up
Jul 26, 2006
Tokyo
Hi everyone,
I am Axel from Germany and have just arrived in this urban jungle about one week ago on a 4-years-assignment. As I have always been very fond of bicycling my cycle has just arrived here along with me, and now I am ready to go! Although the traffic and sheer size of the city is still scaring me I am looking forward to my first excursion and I am glad that I have (for the beginning, at least) found some colleagues in the office who enjoy cycling here, too. One of them will take me on an "after-work-ride" to Odaiba (via Rainbow bridge) tomorrow. I think this will be a good opportunity to get used to the traffic-rules here.
Anyway I have been browsing the net to find groups with similar interest and am glad I have found this group and hope to find new friends to do some touring together and get used to Japanese language.
Greetings from Minatu-ku!
Axel

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
多摩区
AxelS said:
Hi everyone,
I am Axel from Germany and have just arrived in this urban jungle about one week ago on a 4-years-assignment. As I have always been very fond of bicycling my cycle has just arrived here along with me, and now I am ready to go! Although the traffic and sheer size of the city is still scaring me I am looking forward to my first excursion and I am glad that I have (for the beginning, at least) found some colleagues in the office who enjoy cycling here, too. One of them will take me on an "after-work-ride" to Odaiba (via Rainbow bridge) tomorrow. I think this will be a good opportunity to get used to the traffic-rules here.
Anyway I have been browsing the net to find groups with similar interest and am glad I have found this group and hope to find new friends to do some touring together and get used to Japanese language.
Greetings from Minatu-ku!
Axel
Hallo Axel,

herzlich willkommen in Tokio und im TCC Forum! :welcome:

While you may find Tokyo traffic scary in the beginning you'll soon notice that Japanese drivers are very considerate and "peaceful" in comparison to central European motorists. Just take care of these taxis... ;)

By the way, you cannot cross Rainbow Bridge using your bicycle, you are only allowed to walk. However, you can ride your bike to Odaiba through Ariake or take a boat from Takeshiba Pier.

Ich hoffe, wir sehen Dich mal auf einer unserer Touren! :)

Hank

Warming-Up
Jun 17, 2006
Yokohama, Japan
Hello and welcome, Axel!

It took me awhile to get used to the traffic here; at first I was only going on small streets without much traffic, but after I rode for a few months it became more comfortable to travel on the busier roads. Just try to be visible to the drivers and signal your intentions; so far I've found most people to be respectful and considerate.