What's new

New comer, with an unregistered bike

lucioeb

Warming-Up
Mar 5, 2011
Hi, I am new here in Tokyo. Just arrived few days ago and brought my bicycle from the Philippines. Unfortunately, I havent registered it yet, any ideas on how I can get this registered here? I didnt have my receipt since I assembled it from a mix of second hand and brand new parts.

What I do have right now is the excess baggage/special handling receipt for carrying a bicycle from the airline.

I am really excited to ride my bike but Im not sure if it will be ok if it is not yet registered. Im just here living in Chuo-ku

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to Tokyo!

The bōhan tōroku (crime prevention registration) system is tricky in situations like this. Somehow you have to prove to the bike shop that the bike belongs to you. If they will accept your explanation then they will issue the sticker and you're good to go.

If not, and you're stopped by the police, you will have to explain yourself. Having said that, many many road bikers don't put their stickers on their bikes because it messes with the aesthetics!

Thanks Mike! So aside from a proof of ownership, I guess I would need to submit my alien registration. I'll try tomorrow!

Done with the registration! Hope to join you guys in some of the rides!
:)

For future reference, can you describe the process you went through to get the bike registered, also listing if you can any questions they asked you or any initial problems you had.

Thanks.

I just showed them the scanned copy of the receipt of the bicycle, with the color and serial number. The only thing they asked for was the receipt (and the actual bike for checking), they did not even ask for any ID or for my Alien Certificate of Registration. Paid 500 yen for the registration, and done! Everything went fast and smooth.

And oh, I went to the shop with a Japanese friend to help me talk to the shop attendant. I guess it's because I had a local Japanese accompany me to the shop.

:D The shop I visited was the Jiggy Bikeshop in Asakusa

For future reference, can you describe the process you went through to get the bike registered, also listing if you can any questions they asked you or any initial problems you had.

Thanks.

Maybe we should start a list of 'friendly' bike shops. I can name at least 5 around my hood that are 'Not Friendly'. BTW - even though the bike shop is supposed to do this service, many refuse to if you do not buy the bike from them. But if you camplain that you'll talk to the police - they will generally capitulate. Along with the registration service, it's not a bad idea to get the TS Mark (Safety Cert / Insurance) unless you have alternate 3rd party insurance. This gives the LBS a little more chance for upside as they'll want to nick you for a set of reflectors and a bell. But compared to potential multi-million yen lawsuit in case you bump someone, well worth it.

We have a 'family plan' insurance that covers everyone in our family, including the little one. I think it's less than 2500 yen/mo (paid yearly).

Yes i agree. Before having my bike registered yesterday, i went to another shop which refused to regisyer the bike since it was not bought from their shop

Back
Top Bottom