What's new

New bling and bye-bye...

chazzer

Speeding Up
Nov 23, 2006
Fellow TCC`ers.....a couple of updates for all of you.

It has been decreed that I shall return to blighty forthwith and no later than the end of August. England expects.

This is a mixed blessing.

On the one hand, it means that I shall no longer have to do battle with all of the various toge out there on the west side, battling the ballast in pursuit of the lanterne rouge. On the other hand it means that I shall no longer be able to do battle with all of the various toge out there on the west side, battling the ballast in pursuit of the lanterne rouge.

Nevertheless the time has come to make my way back after a nine year stint in Tokyo this time. I have already been trying to find a good club in my area and this team meets every Sunday just around the corner from me so I seem to be well set !

http://www.gregarios.co.uk/cycling_clubs/Gregarios_cycling_club_London_about_us_The_Gregarios.html

They even a special section especially for riders like me. See bottom rhs.

http://www.gregarios.co.uk/cycling_clubs/Cycling_Style_tips_page.html

I wanted to bring back something a little different to the UK, something that represents the best of Japan and her cycling prowess, something suited to a different era and not leaping at the future, and something crafted by a real engineer and not a computer. After a lot of discussion with Hiro Aoyama at Sports Bike HiRoad I decided on the Anchor RNC7 Pro.

So, back to the future with the very latest in steel.

The standard bike is here.

http://www.anchor-bikes.com/bikes/09rnc7pro.html

We have made adjustments to stem, handlebar width and crank length to suit my dimensions. It fits perfectly. Hiro is da man !!

On the very first day I rode over 200kms with out to Tone to see Phil in the enduro picking up Pete on the way on Edogawa. Totally comfortable and very smooth and agile.

Compact again ( no point pretending I don`t need it ) but only 12-25 and I am finding this really useable. Have even been up Tomin no Mori and over Wada on this setup. Who needs that pansy 12-27 huh !

I have attached a shot of the Anchor at home. Since this was taken a pair of Nitto hollow steel bottle cages at 42g each have been added. They are a piece of perfection and hard to imagine they were welded by hand. Art !

Anyway, that is the new bling.

I have one final goal before I leave and that will be Norikura on August 1st. I am not in great nick and not much riding this year but I am determined to get up it this time. It defeated me two or was it three years ago. I reckon I have a chance this time.

Beyond that, of course I hope I can see some of you before I go. In case that doesn`t work out I wanted to get this news out now a little ahead of the actual date but, more importantly, to thank everyone I have ridden with this last two or three years for keeping me safe and, more importantly, sane :D

I have had some great times with the TCC and I hope we can keep in touch in the future.:bike:

If anyone is coming to the UK and especially London then let me know. I will always have a couple of bikes around waiting !

chazzer

Hi Charles,

I am sorry to see you go. Do you remember that ride to Yamanakako with Christoph and Paul :D We nearly died that day.

Love the Anchor. Tom has the same frame. Very nice.

Perhaps we can meet up for lunch?

Philip

Will have to pedal a few beers at a slow cadence somewhere before you leave.
I wanted to do Norikura with you but am doing the Keirin the next day in Omiya.

I'm off for the next 6 weeks though so if you want to go for a ride let me know.

Hope you come back to Japan often enough not to miss it.

Cheers!

Charles, you will be dearly missed by all the ones you are leaving behind. The RNC7 is a fantastic bike and a great souvenir of this country, especially in this super-deluxe version of yours! Let's keep in touch.

Chazzer: awesome quality bling. I used to help put those tubes together back when BS didn't do carbon. Good excuse to come back every once in a while, "need to upgrade the anchor."

Aw, I knew this was coming, but still sad to see it happen--though of course I know it's great news for you, being able to spend more time with the family.

I was just thinking back over all the TCC rides I've done, and I think you're the TCC member I've ridden the most with. Still have fond memories of the brevet we did last year, wearing our off-the-shouler "Brazillian thongs" of reflective vests...

Glad I got a chance to see the Anchor before it gets shipped to the UK. Really is a beautiful bike.

Perchance you have time for one more Chiba ride before you go?

Ode to Charles ride?
Charles - not sure when you are heading out, but how about we organize a ride of your favorite route?

Charles, you will be missed indeed. I do hope you will find the time to join a TCC ride before leaving (such as the Tour de Westside next weekend). Congratulations on the Anchor!

Oh, and what is that favourite route Todor mentioned?

It was certainly on the cards, but you will be missed in Japan.

I hope you enjoy life back in the UK.

Lee

Hi, Charles,

It was a lot of fun riding with you last season - thanks for a great company!

Good luck and take care in UK :bike:

PS
Congrats with your new bike!

Charles, you will be missed indeed. I do hope you will find the time to join a TCC ride before leaving (such as the Tour de Westside next weekend). Congratulations on the Anchor!

Oh, and what is that favourite route Todor mentioned?

Well I guess Todor meant Tomin no Mori so that means I will be there on the Anchor on the TdW !

chazzer

Aw, I knew this was coming, but still sad to see it happen--though of course I know it's great news for you, being able to spend more time with the family.

I was just thinking back over all the TCC rides I've done, and I think you're the TCC member I've ridden the most with. Still have fond memories of the brevet we did last year, wearing our off-the-shouler "Brazillian thongs" of reflective vests...

Glad I got a chance to see the Anchor before it gets shipped to the UK. Really is a beautiful bike.

Perchance you have time for one more Chiba ride before you go?

Boso has always been my favourite ride so I cannot leave without one more attempt at a Hilly Boso. How about August 15th or 16th ?

chazzer

Hi Charles,

I am sorry to see you go. Do you remember that ride to Yamanakako with Christoph and Paul :D We nearly died that day.

Love the Anchor. Tom has the same frame. Very nice.

Perhaps we can meet up for lunch?

Philip

Lunch - excellent idea, Tom is also local to Akasaka so why not !

chazzer

Charles

It is sad to know you will be leaving Japan, but your choice of Anchor steel bike is a good news. It is an excellent choice. Even though I got a carbon recently, I still love to ride on my steel. I am sure you will acknowledge the quality of the Japanese artifact. Please show off yours in England.

Minoru Arai

I am waiting for you

Charles,

I am waiting for your visit to Frankfurt. Let's enjoy cycling in Europe! Also, please encouredge your friends and colleagues in UK who move to Tokyo as Head of TCC London chapter!

Yasuhiro

Guys, I also work in Akasaka and would be very interested in joining you guys up for lunch to wish Chazzer all the best in Blighty and also to introduce myself to the rest of the TCC group.

Back
Top Bottom