What's new

New Bike

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
So after my health check today and seeing a dramatic drop in my Cholesterol and body fat, plus my recent joy at turning the pedals I have decided to invest in a new bike :D

I have been checking out wiggle and other sites like ribble.com.

I was looking at the boardman air 9.0 as a candidate. As that is about what I want to spend.

But if I do the math with some of the Ribble carbon frames it seems I can get a bike with (What seems to me!) similar parts that will end up about 2kg lighter and 500$ cheaper?

Has anyone had experience with buying things from Ribble? Or am I missing something in the equation?

Feel free to make any suggestions in the 150,000yen range...:D

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations on being healthy!

Have you talked to Tim (GSAstuto) yet? You're not so far away from his place, and if you're not too bothered about fancy branding labels he might well be able to arrange something tailored to you and very good value. Heckuva lot of bike for your buck.

I might be wrong, but I thought Ribble won't ship bikes outside of the UK. I was looking at their Aluminum Audax bike a while ago but found they don't ship bikes. They may have changed their policy though.

Well... if you don't care about shameless brand images and candywrappers all over your bike...

For 150,000 yen :

Full carbon frameset / fork.
Shimano 105 Group
Harp / DEDA Cockpit
Shimano RS-30 wheelset

Otherwise - the Focus Cayo 105 cannot be beat - if the geometry suits you.

Bear in mind - there are literally hundreds of 'open mold' carbon framesets out there that you can choose according to geometry and purpose. So - I'd look past the brand a bit and more towards what you, as a cyclist, are looking for in terms of fit and useage.

I might be wrong, but I thought Ribble won't ship bikes outside of the UK. I was looking at their Aluminum Audax bike a while ago but found they don't ship bikes. They may have changed their policy though.

I think this is the case. For more info on Ribble, best place is probably reader reviews on BikeRadar.

Wow, I'm in the market and if http://ribble.com/ sell for for 150,000 yen then I'm definitely game. The contrast with Japanese prices and sizes, pretty eye popping.:eek:

AndyW from TCC bought a Ribble bike while he was in Japan. As I remember, he had the bike shipped to a friend in Edinburgh, who then shipped it out to Japan on his behalf. There are thus ways round it.

I'm not sure how regularly he logs into to TCC nowadays after his move. I think he was very happy with his Ribble bike. It was certainly very nice to look at.

Back
Top Bottom