What's new

New bike shop

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Just as an FYI, a new bike shop called "Cycle Paradise" has opened in Kyodo (Setagaya-ku, on the Odakyu line). Although it will officially open on April 20, the store had its "pre-opening" today, so I was able to have a look around.

It looks as though the shop may be the first brick-and-mortar outlet for this online bike buy-and-sell service: http://www.cypara.com/ Has anyone ever heard of this shop/service before?

Interestingly, it focuses almost exclusively on used bikes -- road, cross, fixed gear, mountain.

They had everything from blinged-out full carbon Colnagos to old-skool steel Panasonics. In addition to about five Colnagos, there were also a couple Pinarellos, some Bianchis, a trek, a Cannondale and a Klein, among others. A guy at the shop told me they have a "huge number" of bikes in stock, and will keep rotating them in when they figure out the best floor plan. He also said they will also carry some new bikes, as well as parts, accessories and clothing.

I pass the shop every day, so I'm sure I'll be spending way too much time there.

Here's a link to an access map: http://www.cypara.com/access.html

Deej

thats interesting! Will have to check it out.

Thanks for posting

Ash

I don't think I could pass a bike shop "every day" and remain financially solvent... :)

Sounds like a great place though. I've been trying to find a shop that deals in used stuff near me, but no luck so far...

Do you know if they rent bikes or would it be possible to buy one for 3 months and then sell it back to them? I'll be moving to Sagamihara for 3 months and am trying to get out of taking my bike over. Any thoughts?

Do you know if they rent bikes or would it be possible to buy one for 3 months and then sell it back to them? I'll be moving to Sagamihara for 3 months and am trying to get out of taking my bike over. Any thoughts?

My guess is they don't rent bikes, though I'll ask next time I stop in.

I imagine they would buy back a bike you purchased from them. The question is, how much money would you lose in the process? Maybe you could agree to a pre-set buyback price. I'll ask about buybacks, too.

Deej

Another new shop

Another new bicycle shop opened recently that you might want to know about. It's an outled shop for the Y's Bicycle chain of stores. It's located in Saitama at Irumashi. According to its web page, it has 3,000 bikes with a concentration of racing and moutain bikes. Here's the web site http://www.ysroad.net/shops/iruma.html (It's all in Japanese)

I found that shop while looking for a good deal on my first bike since jr. high school. I ended up ordering it online from Joint bicycle, a Rakuten shop, after e-hakusen, another online shop, informed me that it was out of stock of the model I wanted (Jamis Aurora).

I hope to post more here after I get the bike.

m

I don't think I could pass a bike shop "every day" and remain financially solvent... :)QUOTE]

Hmm...indeed this is true. I can't walk into one without spending $$$$$$.

I think I must be weak in the head, but I can't resist...

its a sickness....:eek:

Specialized Bike Shop

Another heads up. I saw a Specialized Bike Shop that looks like it's just about to open (maybe in a matter of days) at the Jingumae 3-chome intersection (at the end of Aoyama Killler Street--strange name for a street :D). It has 2 small floors and looks like it's worth checking out.

BTW, my bike from Joint Bicycle (Internet shop) was delivered in about 5 days after I ordered it. It came in a box but was completely assembled, including reflectors and a bell, ready to ride. I plan to do business with that shop again.

I've seen their advertisements in Cycle Sports magasine

More direction Kudasi

Deej, Used bikes ! I LOVE used bikes ! Bet none of them fit me though. [6'3"] Not sure I can find the place though could you post some idiot proof by train to foot directions. I don't read the Kanji and am having problems trying to compare the map you provided with whatever english ones I have.

Kyodo JR station ?

I think just knowing the rail line, station and direction out of is enough. I can blunder around Japan for hours happily, am sure I will run into a bunch of other cool places along the way.

Thank you TODO

Todo,

I don't have much time to reply, but I'll squeeze out a couple details for you now.

You can get to Kyodo Station by taking the Odakyu Line out of Shinjuku. It's the 10th stop by local train (about 15 minutes). You can catch an express, but be careful to hop on one that stops at Kyodo, otherwise you could zip past it.

If you plug this address into Google Maps, you'll get the location: 東京都世田谷区経堂1丁目12-8 斎藤ビル1階

Here's a link to the access map provided by the shop: http://www.cypara.com/access.html

They've recently opened a second shop in Kyodo, so you should ask an employee about that as well.

They've added tons of bikes and accessories, new and used, since I first posted.

Good luck!

Deej

For used, and huge inventory, there`s also Cycly:

http://www.cycly.co.jp/

They have shops all over Kanto (and Osaka and Fukuoka), packed out with super high-end road and moutain bikes, some barely used, some new. Also a huge selection of parts and everything is online, searchable and photographed. My first plan was to get a my-sized frame from abroad and build it up with used parts from Cycly, until I realized it`s cheaper to get the stuff NEW from Wiggle, et al. Also, the staff in Cycly are usually kind of high school student - looking, some of whom seem to know absolutely nothing about cycling or bikes. The Yoyogi branch has a guy who really knows the gear and can advise/answer questions, but he`s the exception rather than the rule of the 5 Cyclys I`ve visited. The Kawasaki shop has a lot of road bikes. They all have lots of the highest high end bikes, sitting there in tiny sizes, obviously not brand new and yet showing little or no signs of actual use.... Slightly tragic, somehow....

Cycly Coincidences...

Funny you mention Cycly, as I just bought some handlebars from them...had been looking for some deep round bend bars for ages and found some there by accident.

You're right about the pricing, though. I'm doing the same thing as you with my cyclocross build, trying to find used parts here if possible. For things like unpopular/no-name brands of aluminum bars, stems, and seatposts, you can save a bit, but for components and brand-name parts they're barely any cheaper than new stuff from the UK/US.

Cycle Paradise Kyodo

OK Thanks ! I think I will take a run at it. Let you know how I do.

NEXT I will work on Cycly that sounds cool too.

Used bike shop where they only have bikes I can not buy because they are too small ? PERFECT. I got too many already. TODO

Todo,

I don't have much time to reply, but I'll squeeze out a couple details for you now.

You can get to Kyodo Station by taking the Odakyu Line out of Shinjuku. It's the 10th stop by local train (about 15 minutes). You can catch an express, but be careful to hop on one that stops at Kyodo, otherwise you could zip past it.

If you plug this address into Google Maps, you'll get the location: 東京都世田谷区経堂1丁目12-8 斎藤ビル1階

Here's a link to the access map provided by the shop: http://www.cypara.com/access.html

They've recently opened a second shop in Kyodo, so you should ask an employee about that as well.

They've added tons of bikes and accessories, new and used, since I first posted.

Good luck!

Deej

The RIN Project

I found it THANKS ! Took the train to the train to the other train and then hoofed all over hell [ Actually some very pleasant Japan suburbia.] looking for it. It is the coolest bike shop on the planet. [ OK OK in the top 10.] I dug around for hours. They had good music, The Gimmie Gimmies. Got some very NITTO bar ends and wood grips [ Diacomp ! ] to go with em.

BUT Now I need help finding the RIN Project. They make the coolest leather Hairnets with a brim I ever saw. Gotta get one. Enenso I know they are of very limited protection. Of course they did not have one big enough for my huge mellon at the shop. I took down the RIN Project web address.

http://www.rinproject.com/index.html

But the map has no train station just some street names [ In english !] and 4-6-17-1F Motoasakusa Taito-ku TOKYO . The linked map is all in Kanji

I'm glad you found the shop, Todo. I agree, it's turned into a pretty cool store since its opening. It's fun to pop in once in a while on the way home from the salt mines for a quick bike-stuff fix.

Remember that fellow with the visor with whom who you shared an Eddie Merckx moment? Yep. A close encounter of the Deej kind. Sorry if my lads* were being a bit rambunctious, but all the shiny stuff in there gets them kind of hyper.

As soon as I saw the tall dude in black, I instantly knew it was the one and only Todo R Caspell. Sorry I didn't introduce myself, but I was pinched for time, and the boys* were like a couple of young golden retrievers straining at the leash. Next time I'll be more neighborly!

Deej

*My sons, not a bawdy euphemism.

Cool

DEEJ ! I too thought that you. I saw you were kinda on a mission. So no worries. Your kids are cool, I LIKE Golden Retrievers. BP is a cool shop and Koyodo is a very cool area, glad I went. Also very glad I went alone so no one was bored that I was spending hours in the bike shop. My posse is more the Y's bike kine and I am over that place. Not to say Y's is a bad shop just a bit too big regular upscale bike shop for me. I am talking the BIG Y's in Yokohama, for all I know some other Y's are cool, small and funky. TODO

PS. I seem to have over used cool but thats cool.

PPS. You ever live in Moab ? That visor thing just screams river rat. If so you must know TERRIANNTIBBETS of MU.

PPS. You ever live in Moab ? That visor thing just screams river rat. If so you must know TERRIANNTIBBETS of MU.

No, I've never lived in Moab -- I'm a Montana boy, though, so I know a thing or two about rivers. I also had the pleasure of living through "Kill Haole Day" at a Honolulu junior high, so I can hang with the pidgin.

Island Shops

Montana is good too. Kill the haole day, thats funny. My cuz grew up on Maui so I understand that. It didn't help him any being a blonde either. I have worked on and off at PHNSY {Pearl Harbor...} for years and NEVER had a problem with the locals. Even out in Waianie. Misspell you know east coast of Oahu where they tell you not to go if you don't want your ass kicked.
Had some pretty good Locomoco here in Japan. Locomoco in Shibuya and a place in Hase by the big Buddha station. It was good but about a hapa plate lunch.

BOY are WE off topic. So sorry. O OK I KNOW I will toss in my Fav bike shops Island style:

I.T&B Honolulu, Island Triathlon and Bike. ON Kapahululu. Waikiki, Honolulu Oahu. Frank is the owner and a great bike guy. I think Tom left for another shop but he was a GREAT wrench. Anyway small shop high end bikes not much stuff but wonderful people.
http://itbhawaii.com/

Bike Factory On Ala Moana blvd. Great shop lots of STUFF.
http://bikefactoryhawaii.com/

The Bike Shop, King street Honolulu. The best place to rent a REAL bike. When Johnny visited me I got him a Specialized Allez so he could ride with me. I also had MY Allez. Only dif was mine is STEEL the rentals are Alu. O and the rental bikes come all kitted out with pump patch kit and a lock all things you REALLY NEED on Oahu. A ton of broken glass and a lot of bike thieves.
http://www.bikeshophawaii.com/home.html

South Maui Cycle, Maui, Kihei Great shop. Another good Frank there. The best ting is he is over 6' and rented me his personal tandem. I forget what it was but it was a quality ride.
http://www.southmauibicycles.com/

Big Mahalo fo DAT Bro.

Back
Top Bottom