New Bike Advice

Apr 26, 2010
Shimokitazawa
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new bike and need a bit of advice.

I bought a Giant Escape R3 hybrid about six years ago. After getting fully into commuting on that bike, I replaced it with a Surly Cross-Check as a sort of do-anything bike. I have a rack and panniers and have done some light touring on it. Eventually I felt the need... the need for speed, so I picked up my Canyon road bike (with a brief misadventure with a too-big Ridley bought second hand).

The Canyon was meant to be the weekend bike, with the Surly still serving as the primary commuter, but riding the Canyon has made me dislike riding the Surly. It's heavy and sluggish, and not nearly as much fun to ride (considering the type of riding I do most often). Don't get me wrong, the Surly is a tank, will ride over just about anything, and has proven to be a stable handler loaded up with camping gear, even at speed, but I just don't do enough touring to prioritize those capabilities over being light, nimble, fast, and fun to ride. The Canyon has replaced the Surly as the primary commuter, with the Surly only being used on rainy days and when I need the bags to carry stuff.

Current living conditions mean I can only own two bikes at a time, so I want to replace the Surly. I think I'm looking for an aluminum frame road bike with eyelets for a rear rack. I don't want to spend a heap of money on it, as it will be the rain bike, and will occasionally be locked up outside as I'm pottering around town. Basically, I get the lighter weight of aluminum, sacrificing some of the long-distance comfort of steel, but still have the rear rack for ferrying stuff around and the odd weekend camping trip here and there. I've also considered some flat bar bikes such as the Charge Mixer or the Cotic Roadrat, (disk brakes seem like a good idea for commuting in the rain) but both of them are steel and I worry that I'll have the same issues I have with the Surly.

The Verenti Kilmeston is probably top of my list at the moment. Do you guys have any other suggestions or advice?

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
多摩区
I cannot recommend the Kilmeston enough!

verenti_kilmeston.jpg

I have been using it since October as commuter. The extended headtube is supercomfy. I replaced the SRAM chainset with Shimano compact parts and couldn't be happier! The mudguards are very convenient in the rainy season. All that for less than 9man. :)

Apr 26, 2010
Shimokitazawa
I knew someone on here had the Kilmeston. Seems like it's going to be the best choice. I was interested in the Ribble 7005 Audax bike, but they won't ship bikes internationally. Bikes like the Specialized Secteur and the Giant TCR have rack mounts at the dropout, but I'm not sure about points on the seat stays, and I've seen some funky pictures of a rack twisted and mangled to fit a TCR.