What's new

New arrival

spsspence

Warming-Up
Aug 29, 2011
Hi all,

I'm due to be moving to Yokohama from the UK in about three weeks. So firstly a big hello to one and all and I'm relieved to see that I might not have to drop the two wheeled side of my like in moving there.

I'm going to bringing my kit but will most likely leave the bike at home as I would imagine it will be seriously expensive in additional luggage to bring. May well be cheaper to but something second hand there, has anyone else gone this route?

So what sort of meets/rides do you guys do in Yokohama if any? At the my club here in the UK we meet once a week, usually Saturday, and I join the group that does about 70km at an average of about 26km/h. I also do my own thing most nights during the week but not too excessive. So I'm hoping, once I can get some wheels sorted, there maybe something there for me.

Fingers crossed eh and maybe see you all in a few weeks.

Cheers,
Spencer.

Welcome to Japan! I believe Sir James is in your hood - I'm sure he'll have you suffering, bleeding and well above 26kmh in no time at all!

Hi there, thanks for the warm welcome.

Hi Owen, as I say, chances are I will be in the Kanai area so wondering what sort of activities you get up to there? Do you have any regular ride outs or is it a case of seeing wholes up for what?

Have you any links to any good bike shops in the Yokohama area you could send me? Any words of advice?

Once I am on the road out there I was thinking of riding to work, that will be in Shini-Yokohama, is that at all practical?

Thanks again,
Spencer.

LOL,

Actually Im the James you need to be talking to :D

In regards to your UK bike what frame size is it and what actually is the bike?

The reason I ask is that second hand bikes here in Japan tend to be on the small size with the most popular sizes being 52cm or 54cm. If you are on the taller side then you will findit extremely hard to get a bike to fit.

Also in Japan bikes tend to keep thier value so it might just be cheaper to bring the bike with you or have a shop box it up and haveit shipped.

Ah right, Hi James, the right one.

I've a 58cm Fuji Carbon Team Pro. 54cms isn't really going to cut it is it Lol.

I could ask my lbs then as I will already be bringing a large case rucksack and guitar so I reckon a bike box as well will be a nightmare.

Hmmm, food for thought, cheers for the advice.
Spencer

Very nice bike.... couldn't recommend a better one ;) (that's because im not allowed to under the terms and conditions of my contract :D )

But no in all seriousness a very nice bike and you will find it very very hrdto get your size here.

What I suggest is that you strip the bike right down to individual components and bring them over in the suitcase. Then ship the carbon frame and forks.

Once youarrive in Japan just build it back up (if you aren't technically minded then Im more than happy to do it for you for a large bottle of HP sauce).

Yokohama has some of the best bike stores;

C-speed - Owned and run by our very own Hiroshi-san. AAA+ customer service and able to get you pretty much everything and anything you need to order.
Sagami Cycles - Totally Euro bike store, amazing wheel builders and mechanics lots of goodies and frames.Family owned 4th generation and ties with the Cinelli family and Coppi
Bike Run nothing to do with running, small shop great service and lots of little things you don't need but really want!
MyX - Bloody amazing for anything MTB and small WANT parts. These kids know their stuff and get days off to actually ride.
Seo Cycles - lots of bikes, not so much accessories

Y's Road - EXTREMELY CRAP customer service but lots in stock,10% more expensive than most stores. Wouldn't bother ordering anything as they either fall through on the order orforget to call you when it does arrive or they can't get it.

Hi James,

Cheers for all that info, most helpful. Looking at the price of bike boxes and the extra bag cost's I think I am just gonna back the old girl in a bike box and pay the £30. :)

So what sort of runs do you do from the area then? As I was saying earlier here at the CC I go to in Surrey we do a Saturday morning run, then there is a Wednesday eve run and a Sunday morning run for the more spirited. Chances are, if they were going, I would be interested in a weekend run and a mid week run, and then whatever I could fit in myself in between.

I had thought about the possibility of riding to work in Shiniyokohama from the Kanai area. Is this at all practical? Also I have seen a couple of posts about registering your bike. As I have no idea where the receipt for my bike is that could prove a little awkward. Is this something that trip a lot of foreigners up?

Thanks again for all your help,
Spencer.

Probably faster riding from Kannai to Shin-Yokohama than catching the train. I nice ride is actually out to the Tsurumigawa river and then follow it up to Shin Yokohama. I used to do the oppersite down the Tsurumi to Kannai everyday.

Bike registration, I would suggest following the thread.

Rides....well lots going on from many different groups so keep posted here.

Hi James,

You still around mate? I'm back in Yokohama, had to head back for a bit last year. Back now and living down by Yamashita park.

Not got the bike with me yet but going home for the Olympics and will be bringing it back with me.

Turns out I work quite close to Y's Road and as you say it's got loads of stuff but as you say the service is a bit lame.

Gonna need to look the other shops up as well.

Nice to be back.

Spencer.

Good luck with bringing back the bike. You can bring back goods worth 200,000 yen duty free, either as your luggage or shipped separately and declared as unaccompanied luggage when you reenter the country. Removal goods (household items) are duty free even above that value, but customs will expect them to look used.

You're near Yamashita koen? Not far down to Miura peninsula for you then, once you got your bike. That's a great area for weekend rides :)

There is no penalty for not registering your bike, many foreigners don't register theirs.

To find rides on the weekend, check out the Unofficial Tours & Short Runs section, lots of members post their ride plans there.

Hy there mate - still here.

We should hook up soon - actually the best store is up by me - Sagami Cycles and the prices are a hell of a lot cheaper too!

send me a PM and we can swap details.

If you don't get on with Joe's advice let me know who you fly with as well as I work for the BAFSRC (British Airways) and I might be able to get one of the guys there to bring the bike out with them ;) Can't promise but worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom