What's new

New 11 speed Dura Ace for 2012?

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Well normally if you see new Shimano kit at the start of the season you are pretty much garunteed to see it released by the end of the season if the trials go well.

Shimano a trialing the new 11 speed system at current UCI races and was successfully used by SKY riders in recent events.

shimano-dura-ace-11-speed-prototype-spy-shots-fiets1-569x600.jpg

Not only that but they are moving away from the tradition 3 pivot brake cantilever.

shimano-dura-ace-11-speed-prototype-spy-shots-fiets2-600x450.jpg

Also images I have seen of the new rear derailiuer suggest that it will use the same shadow system as the XTR and also a slimmer profile to the brake-shifter units. (not shown in this image)

Finally if rumours im hearing inside the industry are true Shimano will be re-release the carbon cranks that they did a limited run on back in 2010-11. This time they will be a lot stiffer than the original trial run and just as light as the current DA spider.

Well I'm guessing that my original thoughts on release at the end of the year are incorrect!

Shimano has already released the new 11 speed compatibility chart!

scaled.php

Why would they do that?
It's not like there is a need... oh, yeah, silly me... to make more money, of course :confused:

well if we followed your business model we would all be riding single speeds ;)

Hm. yeah.
My faith might have been tampered by the devil :)

Hail The Derailleur! Hail The Derailleur! Hail The Derailleur! (safe for now..)

Begining to worry there Serguei - all safe now - I also appeased the gods with a blood and sweat sacrifice this morning.

From what i have read so far, it seems likely that the new 11s Dura Ace group will require new wheels as well, which is a shame.

The new version of Sram Red is coming out soon and looks nice too.

The upside to this is, that nobody forces you to get the new stuff and 10spd Shimano gear will see a price drop. Hell, if I wouldn't have had so bad luck in the last year with gear failures, I would still be riding 9spd aluminum.

As a business strategy it is totally understandable: divide and conquer.
Once the "new top of the line" will be available, it will appeal to those looking for the "best" in terms of feature-set - no more 11spd crown for Campy, only manufacturer with electric, new braking standard, etc... It will sell at what Shimano asks for it.

And for 10spd, they can lower the prices without hurting their image, while making SRAM and Campy top gear seem inferior or beyond the curve.

I would wait before making any calls on low gear compatibility. And from what I read online, you might be fine with Campa compatible wheelsets able to switch to a new freewheel rotor for 11spd shimano (just hearsay though)

Years ago, when the went to 3, I could see it as only a matter fo time until they went to 5 or more. Thanks for the article. Once of the funniest things I have read in a while.

Right, obviously this means my 10 speed Dura Ace groupset is worthless junk now.

I am going to have a hissy fit and throw it all in the bin.

Owen - to bloody right only your bin is way to good for that tripe! I will be over tomorrow morning to dispose of it in the correct manner.

James, it is making me feel physically sick, just knowing it is in the apartment with me.

Who makes rubbish like this?

I can't even look at it, and feel like a prisoner in my own home.

Owen - stay calm go and look at your new earphones and loook at the texture, the quality, use them, listen to the crisp sound quality.

I will be over in a minute with a haz-mat suit and bin bags - we will leave no trace of "it".

Haha.

Shimano should set up some kind of therapy group, for people in my position.

Victims, that is what we are.

I couldn't be further away from the top of the line, dura-ace filled world.

Still, if this means price drops for 10spd sets, I'm all for it! :D:D:D

Yeah, you will be able to pick up the current 10 speed Dura Ace stuff very cheap when this new kit comes out. Keep your eyes on Yahoo Auction / Ebay, etc, for Groupset fire sales.

From what i have read so far, it seems likely that the new 11s Dura Ace group will require new wheels as well, which is a shame.

The new version of Sram Red is coming out soon and looks nice too.

Ohhh that new Sram Red looks nice. Love the cranks and brake levers/hoods. Still don't like the brake calipers though!

I don't know if I will be able to spread my babe's legs wide enough to jamb a 11 speed between them. The 9 speed barely fit...good thing she is steel.

Owen is distraught at the new number of sprockets.

Myself, I can't believe we got to two pages of posts without any of the obligatory associated references to number 11.

A cloud descends, a leaf falls, the brow furrows

Back
Top Bottom