Never Raced?

Andrew Deane

Andrew Deane

Speeding Up
Aug 17, 2007
Yotsuya, Tokyo
Fascinating Posts - Thanks!

Likewise, I am green (is it blue in Japan?) when it comes to racing, and haven't done any since my disasterous debut as a grade 11 student nearly a century ago!

When I briefly investigated racing again in Canada efore coming out to Tokyo, I learned that you had to belong to a racing affiliation, partly to cover insurance for races, and partly to track your level.

Questions:

Do you need to belong to a race affiliation in order to enter races in Japan? I hear about the JCRC (Japan something Race something Cycling something?).

In particular, I want to try the aiko race. Do all new riders go in as an X class rider?

Are there any other considerations that I should bear in mind?

Forgive me if these questions have been answered elsewhere, but even though I've been browsing TCC BBS for over a month, I still haven't caught up with all the threads.

Cheers,
Andrew

Edogawakikkoman

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
You don't need to be in a club.
It's a good idea to get insurance that covers your riding.
Joining a club makes it all easier. TCC should look into setting up an insurance thing. My club at SEO has a plan that we all join for about 3000 yen a year.
X class is a good start but if you are conident or experienced go in a level you think you can race at. (there's not a lot of difference between grades-until you get up to B, A & S.

Saiko is about a month away, it's a fun course and a good place to do your first race.