What's new

Need new electric bike, help please!

geordiepete

Warming-Up
Jan 26, 2009
Hi. I've been riding a road bike and also, to get my 5 year old around, I've been riding a Panasonic Vivi electric assist bike in Fukuoka. The Vivi now only has a few kms range left in the battery and I'm looking for a new, much-improved, replacement electric assist bike.

I'm moving to rural Miyazaki, with just over 2 kms south from home to take my child to pre-school, then the 2 kms back toward home and then a further 5.5 kms on to work. That's a one-way journey of about 10 kms, so about 20 kms a day, although I can re-charge the battery at work. There are also a couple of really very steep hills.

Can anybody please recommend me some powerful electric assist bikes that I can buy in Japan?

Thank you!

Peter

Hello Peter.

I think we can safely say that buttery cells are developing year by year bases. So, replacing your 5 years old buttery by new one is one of your option.:D

massa

I don't know if this would help me

Thanks Massa,

my Panasonic Vivi is about 4 years old, and I was told a new battery would cost about ¥26,000. But I am not sure if it will use new improved battery technology, or it will be the same type of battery. I think my bike was discounted when I bought it new because a new type of battery was coming out, and the bike I bought couldn't accept it.

So, I don't know if getting a new battery would help me or not.

Peter

Battery maybe only in Japan

That battery website does not have the battery for the Panasonic Vivi bicycle. Maybe it's only sold in Japan.

Battery maybe only in Japan

That battery website does not have the battery for the Panasonic Vivi bicycle. Maybe it's only sold in Japan.

if you have the owners manual it'll be in the specs otherwise e mail to panasonic give them your bike serial number.

Hi. I've been riding a road bike and also, to get my 5 year old around, I've been riding a Panasonic Vivi electric assist bike in Fukuoka. ...
I'm moving to rural Miyazaki, ....

Hey - this is off topic but I`m super curious: Where are you moving to in Miyazaki? I live in Tokyo now, but I lived in Miyazaki from 1997 to 2002 (and Fukuoka for a year before that, too). My partner and I (she went to Uni in Miyazaki) are always dreaming/planning to move back there to grow mangoes and ride, hike, swim....

Wow. Kibana is a very nice suburb of Miyazaki city - sort of western-style: big houses, lots of trees and all the wires are underground which really opens up the sky. You`re going to be quite close to the amazing route 220 coast road heading south, which is world-class beautiful. Even better, you`re basically right next to Kaeda Gorge and route 27, which together seem to have been purpose-built for cycling. Route 27 is a winding paved mountain road up Tsubaki-yama where at the top, a single-track descends steeply to a river gorge, along which many years ago was built a tiny-gauge rail line for hauling out timber. The tracks are long gone but the trail runs along the river for 12 kms, slightly downhill the whole way, to the parking lot where you started the climb. Along the way are banana, mandarin and loquat trees, small rickety bridges across the clear river, and generally a Jurassic Park-type feel to it all. It`s fast, twisty, unreal fun and if it were in British Columbia, Canada, someone would be selling permits you`d have to book a year in advance to get. Furthermore, most amazingly, route 27, the road up to the top, is maintained by the local bus company and they use it to train their drivers how to handle the vehicles on the crazy curves and grades in the mountains here. And so they repave it every year - it`s like riding on black marble it`s so smooth. Roadies will climb and descend it, several times a day, just for the rush, or continue on down the other side and head south, to hook up with the coast road at Nichinan City. Some skate boarders will get dropped off at the top too... There`s usually no traffic on it but of course every now and then you run into a procession of busses crawling along with young drivers bugeyed behind the wheel. You`re in cycling heaven! I`m extremely envious!

Kagamizu, Miyazaki

Thank you! It's great to read your glowing review of Kibana. Maybe I won't be in the area you describe, which is, I think, Kibana Dai, I will be in a more rural area called Kagamizu, a couple of hundred metres from Kagamizu Elementary School.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it!

Back
Top Bottom