What's new

Need help for Polar infra red.

laz

Warming-Up
Sep 2, 2009
Great to find a English forum in Japan!! I am new to Tokyo for about 6 months already. OK let me make is short.

I am user of Polar S725 and it use great. However once I start to use a Mac computer they are not friends at all. The Mac laptop infra red port is one way only (receive only) and cannot be used to communicate with my watch.

Found the polar homepage and found one product, the USB infra red port, which cost OVER 9000¥, what an aged function cost so much.

So I need all your help to find a cheaper way..... :warau:

I have apolar CS 400 with Pro trainer 5 and it's absolutely not compatible with my mac. Luckily I have a windows computer too so I do all my riding logs on that. Polar just doesn't care about mac users as far as I know!

Yes, that is.

Actually before I left my home country I was using my polar with Mac by bootcamp or even a Paraelle : by a very cheap made in China infra red USB interface. Just I did not bring them with me.

I did find some in raku and yahoo jp auction, together with delivery cost will be around 1500¥. May be that is the cheapest way to solve this problem in japan.

Yeah it was a pain in the Assos setting this up originally.

-- Keyspan USA-19HS (High-speed USB to serial convertor)
-- Polar serial IR interface thingy (the USB ones don't play nice with Mac OS X, being not completely compliant with the USB1.1 specification)
-- iSmartTrain 3.0

The iSmartTrain software is good enough. My diary is 5 years long and includes several thousand rides. It takes about 10 seconds for this list to load, which it does every time I add or change anything. That's its only major shortcoming for me.

Polar are apparently no longer producing spares for the S-series watches, so before long, i.e., when I smash my last working cadence sensor, I'll be heading down the Edge 705 route.

--Mike--

Yeah it was a pain in the Assos setting this up originally.

-- Keyspan USA-19HS (High-speed USB to serial convertor)
-- Polar serial IR interface thingy (the USB ones don't play nice with Mac OS X, being not completely compliant with the USB1.1 specification)
-- iSmartTrain 3.0

The iSmartTrain software is good enough. My diary is 5 years long and includes several thousand rides. It takes about 10 seconds for this list to load, which it does every time I add or change anything. That's its only major shortcoming for me.

Polar are apparently no longer producing spares for the S-series watches, so before long, i.e., when I smash my last working cadence sensor, I'll be heading down the Edge 705 route.

--Mike--

So do I, if not the watch still in a very good condition, I should go for Garmin. I think I will get a USB IR thing as I got a copy of PT5, which sound like a great training program, let me see if that worth it.

Back
Top Bottom