Need advice about first road bike selection

speedwobble

Scorpions - I can't get enough!
Jun 26, 2017
I've been doing pretty well recently, but have lost various things that were attached or supposed to be attached to my bikes. Pumps, lights, multitools, etc. This has mostly been user error, but bumpy roads have taken their toll too.

My advice for beginners at least is to buy things you can afford to replace.

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
I've been doing pretty well recently, but have lost various things that were attached or supposed to be attached to my bikes. Pumps, lights, multitools, etc. This has mostly been user error, but bumpy roads have taken their toll too.
My favourite solution for that is: Friction!

Don't assume that whatever is supposed to hold things in place will do so but add something that uses friction to hold it in place. Rubber bands are great for that.

On my other bike I sometimes lost a water bottle on bumpy roads (especially rumble strips) as the bottle cage was on the rear of the seatpost, so with any bump gravity would open the cage a bit, allowing the bottle to come loose. I then added a rubber band to the bottle cage: Problem solved.

Likewise, my headlight mount under the front rack would rattle itself loose sometimes. I kept tightening the nut against the bolt that held the lamp in place, to no avail. Finally I slung a rubber band around the front rack and looped the two ends around the light body underneath, so they would take up its weight and also elastically absorb vibration. That removed the leveraged lamp weight that would otherwise gradually loosen the nut.

Some of my fellow randonneurs wrap rubber bands around their battery operated rear lights to have a second way to hold them together / on the frame.

Another thing that fell off my bikes repeatedly were phones. Uuugh! All my phones are now protected by a bumper. To the bumper I attach a short lanyard (came with a digital camera; dumb phones used to have them too) which I sling around the handle bar phone holder or the GPS mount or part of the stem such that it can no longer move. Even if the phone did come loose, it would only dangle from the handlebar rather than hit the tarmac.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Karl and Kangaeroo

speedwobble

Jun 26, 2017
Thanks Joe, that's great advice. You must have seen it all with all the miles you do! I've had the thing you describe with my rear light recently. It's a CatEye with a pen-like clip that I slip onto the loop on my saddle bag. The light has been forced out a couple of times on bumpy roads and would have been lost if hadn't heard it hitting what were quiet country roads. I'll have to stick an extra rubber band on to tighten it up. Mine's a cheap one, but some bike lights are really expensive and would be painful things to lose.

I only use my phone on the bars when I need navigation, but use a backed up system too. Its a standard Garmin style quarter-lock mount stuck to my phone case and goes into a SRAM-style handlebar mount, and the backup is a silicone band like this that is passed below the handlebar mount and hooks onto the corners of the phone case. The band keeps the phone from turning and potentially coming out of the mount.
1603278567609.jpeg

If you do mountain biking, I recommend sticking everything in deep pockets on single track descents, your head unit included.

Reactions: Kangaeroo

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
It's a CatEye with a pen-like clip that I slip onto the loop on my saddle bag. The light has been forced out a couple of times on bumpy roads and would have been lost if hadn't heard it hitting what were quiet country roads.
Oh, I know those. I have the very same combination myself. After Cat-Eye made a subtle change to the design a few years back, it never falls out. I was saying this to @joewein not long ago, during a break in a ride. (Joe disagreed. Clearly he was out of date on Cat-Eye clips, and thinking of the version sold years before.)

Not long afterwards, he handed me my light and clip. It had been forced out on a bumpy road and I hadn't heard it hitting the surface, but he had. So, uh ... as so often, I hadn't known what I was talking about.

(Moral of the story: Make sure you ride with Joe.)

speedwobble

Jun 26, 2017
Hey microcord. That sounds like me. It only goes wrong on the road, never in my head beforehand.

As it happens, both places my light came out were on the Myoko Grand Fond course, but on bumpy tarmac, not the gravel.

Riding with Joe sounds great! If you're not feeling so sharp, you can just suck his wheel for the next 200km.

Reactions: Kangaeroo