What's new

MY STOLEN BIKES

Ryano

Cruising
May 27, 2009
Last night my two much loved race bikes were stolen from my garage in Bunkyo-ku. If anyone has any information, please let me know... They are:

1) A Cervelo P2 - a carbon fibre, blue/grey/white time trial / triathlon bike, missing a seatpost and saddle (the theives left it behind), about 2009 model, about 55cm in size. It had lovely Astuto carbon fibre deep dish wheels, though these may of course be removed when the theives try to sell it off. Components are a mix of Ultegra, FSA crank, and I think Dura bar-end shifters. The bike has some distinctive marks and scratches and is registered in my name (FWIW...)

2) A Felt F1 - a carbon fibre, grey/brown with white FELT decal on the down tube. It has Campagnolo Record components and Mavic Kyrsium wheels (fr Aksium). Also about 2009 model, about 55cm in size. A lovely little bike that I was very attached to. This bike in particular is distinctive in that it has a lovely repair job on the carbon, so there is a section of the top tube that is a slightly different colour. It is also registered in my name (FWIW...)

Police have been notified, but I thought I would post here in the hope that TCC folks might kindly keep an eye on the forums in case either of them shows up at some point.

IMG_0588.JPG IMG_0589.JPG

My apologies if this is in the wrong place... Just let me know and I will relocate. I have also been pointed to the great post on what to do when your bike is stolen (https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/wiki/stolen-bikes/) and will follow these instructions as best I can. Many thanks for the wealth of advice there and elsewhere on the forum. I've also discovered that insurance will pay (how much is yet to be seen), which is a great relief, but I would really just like my beloved bikes back undamaged.

I also live in Bunkyo-ku and will keep an eye out. It's unlikely that the thief would be stupid enough to try selling them in the same ward that he stole them, but you never know.

Sad to hear your story brother. What is it with the fixed carbon top tubes, my stolen bike had one as well. Probably means they will just throw away the frames. Better monitor those auctions! I setup searches on eBay and yahooauctions for all parts of my bike separately.

Don't count on the police, who called me once to confirm if I was Japanese or not?!?

Thanks. I will do that. Good idea on the alerts. I hear you on the support from police. My impression from our talks with them and notes on forums is that they basically treat it like a lost wallet - They'll file a report but only move into action if you see your bike for sale on a forum yourself.

- like it really matters whether you are Japanese! That's a bit off. I hope it was innocent interest rather than the basis of any decision on level of help!

Would be a crying shame if they pitched the frame out just because of the repair job. It's a beautiful job and cost me quite a bit too. I actually like the bike more since. Just FYI but my top tube cracked when the front tyre punctured on a descent and i came down on the handlebars which slapped the top tube hard enough to crack (which grew on the ride out of the hills). Few years ago now and no problems since. I imagine that kind of thing is common, thus the prevalence of top tube repairs over others? Just a guess. Like tank-slap dents on a motorbike.

By the way, we were also called back by the police department to ask what my nationality is. Apparently there is a box on their standard forms...gotta tick the right boxes...

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Just thought I would update with the endgame and lessons learned. So the Cervelo was found on Yahoo Auctions (thanks Kimm!) and police alerted immediately. At that point I was not sure if it was registered or not but I alerted police and was able to convince them that we were certain it was my frame there due to some distinctive scratches. To their credit the next day they went to the shop and collected the bike. I went to the police station and identified it with photos of the scratches and other distinctive marks (a slightly loose bolt right here, just on the left,etc.) but as it turned out, I had not registered this bike (bought it second hand from a semi-pro triathlete who was leaving Japan and we both forgot about the whole rego thing). As it turns out, it seems the police policy is to not give it back unless either (i) I can give them the frame number, or (ii) the thief is caught and admits stealing it from my house. As to the latter, I don't know details but it seems the shop is saying they bought the frame from someone else, but that person gave fake ID or whatever and has not been caught. So, the lesson is, if you want your frame back in a situation like this, make sure you either register or take a photo of the frame number and keep it safe. I actually think I did this, but seem to have lost it...

As for the other frame that was registered, and all the lovely parts and wheels, they have completely disappeared and given that it has been over a month with no arrests, I expect they will be long gone by now. So much for registration helping there. In this sense in terms of theft and recovery it might actually be better to NOT register your bike, but keep clear evidence of purchase and the frame number. Then if a thief (or another seller down the chain, knowingly or otherwise) lists it on online shopping site (because it isn't registered) you will have a chance at getting it back. Being registered, it seems this is much less likely- they'll either just scrap it or rework it until it is unrecognizable.

The other major lesson learned was about insurance. It seems there are two types of house and contents insurance. One pays depreciated cost and the other pays replacement cost. The latter is better as you get enough money back to buy an equivalent bike of same quality. The former takes off a chunk for each year of use so you can probably only afford to buy a second hand equivalent at best. My (home and contents) insurance was with AIU and luckily for me was the latter type. Another thing to note is that they only pay if the thing stolen was in the house (and forced entry - something to remember) or "under the eaves." So if you get that particular insurance and keep your bike outside, just be sure it is under the eaves or in a (non-detached) carport, etc.

On the whole they were very responsive and helpful, so I can highly recommend AIU. I groaned about the high insurance fee when I paid it, but they came through in the end when I needed to claim.

One last thing about insurance - some people had mentioned that if the frame is found, you have to return any insurance money you received. I thought this a little strange and confirmed. It seems that at the point that the insurance is paid out, the frame becomes the property of the insurance company. You can buy it back, but if you have already bought a new frame, then you should be completely within your rights to say so and have the insurance company deal with it. Obviously if you're in Tim's situation and have your own shop you might want to keep the insurance reps on your side perhaps and just buy it back, but there doesn't seem to be any obligation to do so.

So there's my two bob's worth of advice FWIW.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Lots of useful information in there. I just hope I never have to use it ;)

My mate had a similar incident whereby a shop had bought his bike off the person who stole it. Luckily they had information that lead the police to the scumbag. So what will be replacing the cervelo?

Good question Leicaman. If you know any good deals going on something special around 55cm in size (I am 6ft tall), let me know! I will be watching the forum here. I am also talking to Tim (GSAstuto) about possibly building up an S&S equipped traveling fixie but need a road bike for races and group rides.

Last edited:
One thing I'm taking away from this is to add some key/unique scratches to your bike, and photographing them.

(or just photographing them if they're already there)

No - what I was trying to say is that may not be enough. I had photos of unique markings on my Cervelo that matched, but they still decided that it wasn't enough. The frame number is almost the only killer evidence in that situation it seems.

Incidentally, I am now the proud owner of a nice Neil Pryde Alize with SRAM Red and a pair of Zipp 404 hoops. Hoping to get out for an early morning Honda Airfield (Arakawa) ride on Saturday, but first ride back in a while and will be adjusting the fit along the way a bit probably, so don't join me unless you're happy for more of a social ride. Look forward to joining the hardcore winter TCC riders in coming months.

@Ryano if its not too much trouble please tell me what 'replacement cost home and contents insurance' is in Japanese?

Hi Mike - no problem. Replacement cost is「再調達コスト」(saichoutatsu cost) so it's 再調達コスト型盗難保険付き災害保険 or 盗難の場合の保険金を再調達コストで計算する盗難保険又は災害保険 or something like that. As I said, I am with AIU, but the insurance inspector said it was more common to do it that way these days so it might not be the only one.

Last edited:
Make sure you chains this one to something big and put a f--king great big dog in the garage in case they come back. :mad:

Thanks Chris - it's all but in bed with me for now... :) I might consider a roll-a-door for carport at some point. I've heard that they do come back sometimes, the buggers.

When I lived over there, my 3 normal cycles lived in a tin shed with a lock but the Anchor lived in the hallway in the house and even now when I am out riding I always make sure I can keep an eye on it at all times, coffee stops etc......

Back
Top Bottom