What's new

My New Weapon

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
My New Weaponry

Just got a pair of Easton EC90 SL Tubular wheels and at 1222g they sure make my bike lighter. Total weight coming in at 6.9kg now:D Having never ridden on tubulars before I'm looking forward to seeing if the hype is true. Do tubulars roll and handle better than clinchers?

I've lost 500g on the HEDS so hopefully should make a noticeable difference in my speed. Unfortunately I'll be only using these babies on race days, which means I'd better start racing a lot more. Fuji here I come....

p.s. notice how the red flash in the cranks matches the wheels and red graphics in the frame perfectly. What was I worried about?

They get a good review here

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/easton-ec90-sl-tubular-wheels-1

Eastons002.jpg
[/IMG]

Eastons001.jpg
[/IMG]

Eastons2003.jpg
[/IMG]

Mike,

Very nice indeed.... you'll love the Tubulars.

If you get the bug then I recommend Vittoria "Open Corsa Evo-CX" 700x20c they are the closest you'll get to the feel of Tubular on clincher wheels. They just released a 700x18c which apparently are amazingly good they are also the fastest clinchers on the road!!!!

Bike looks stunning though Mike

Although I would have gone with the Blue tire wall ;D

Jeeez, that is amazing.

Something to aspire to!

Bet it shifts like a maniac!

Phwoar!!

EDIT; Where did you get that bike stand from? I love those, and really want one!

Any good bike shop for about 1,500 Yen

Owen--maybe you already know, but there are a couple different kinds of such stands, apparently the same initially. You need to know what kind of QR your rear hub has so that the cups on the stand will fit right--e.g., I have two of them, different for each bike.

OK, cool.

I'll get down SEO tomorrow and buy one. Will make living with my steed a lot less worrying (ie, I will know it is not going to be knocked over so easily)

Cheers.

Very nice mate. Hope you can get the brakes adjusted to stop that squeeling sound....I reckon those things are bombproof:D

Did a quick spin up the mountain I live on..... not massive but a good 8% gradient and they seemed fine.... noisy barstewards compared to the SRAM's. But I will compare the wattages tomorrow going up my daily grind.

New Wheels fly!

James, yes the mavics are indeed noisy but the sound when accelerating is very sweet.

I took my new wheels for a spin today and I almost creamed my bib shorts:confused: Seriously, they are amazing. I've made some big equipment changes over the last couple of months (as I'm sure you all know due to multiple posts) and each step has caused a very noticeable improvement in handling. First from an aluminium bike to carbon, and now from clinchers to full carbon/tubular wheels.

Oh my freaking God!!!! These things are silky smooth, dampen all the bumps and go like the clappers. Hopefully they'll climb well too. From the moment I hopped on the bike today I was amazed at the way they roll. Being used to clinchers it was like going from a mountain bike to a road bike. I'm wondering if it's the tyres I chose, Continental Competition, or the wheels themselves? Probably a combination of both I guess?

Anyway, IMO it's official, the hype about tubulars is absolutely true. They are awesome and I hope this computes into a good time on Sunday:)

Mike,

Don't be affraid to race it as well. One thing I take as given before every race is that I will crash, I guess it's coming from a MTB XC racing background but once you've excepted it you'll race much better and faster.... as you won't be worrying about it.

Tubulars are a dream, which is why I use the Vittoria tires I spoke about earlier...as close as it gets to the tubular feel.

If you love the Conti's get a set of Vittoria Open Pave..... you'll never ever look back or buy another tire again! (It's why the Pro's use them)

Very nice although it was being over taken by the blue-black Pinarello of Team Sky :p

Great video of GREAT BRITISH racing!

The whole Motorpoint series is excellent and shows the pinicle of what the British Cycling Federation can do. We need more series like this in the UK.

Tubs

I recommend putting about two teaspoons of Stans tire sealant in the rear tire. This will stop any puncture that is under 2 cm. I love riding tubulars but nothin sucks more than getting a flat right after you spent days putting the tires on.

I recommend putting about two teaspoons of Stans tire sealant in the rear tire. This will stop any puncture that is under 2 cm. I love riding tubulars but nothin sucks more than getting a flat right after you spent days putting the tires on.

Unfortunately the rear wheel is ruined after the forced slow descent by the organizers on Azami:( I'm waiting for a reply from Easton as to what the repair bill is going to be. Basically the heat has caused the carbon to melt and cracks have appeared! Wonderful stuff, after I've only used them once. I'm having such luck with wheels:mad:

Back
Top Bottom