My New Panniers

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
As I mentioned >> HERE << I bought some panniers, the Ortlieb back roll-top classics in black.
I hope to do some touring next year, but the main reason I bought these pannier is because I use my bicycle and trailer to do deliveries for our business, a liquor shop. I have a trailer, but that is sometimes way over kill for a delivery that is a bit far and only a few items.

For example I had to go into Kabukicho to deliver a present of two bottles of sake, I did this with my messenger bag, and two large bottles of sake are heavy! Kabukicho is no place to take the trailer, to many distracted peds :eek:

Here are some pics with the panniers, well just the right side one for now....

View attachment 643
My bike with the one pannier attached, I really had to move it back on the rack to have enough heel clearance.

View attachment 644 View attachment 645
I found out I could put three bottles in there if I wanted to, I was concerned that I would not be able to roll the top closed....

View attachment 646
.... but I found out I could, easily!
If these were full they would be heavy, and I would put something between the bottles just to be sure I don't break one.

I know that some will not like these roll top, only open from the top, one large cavity type of pannier, but for me, for what I want to do, I think they will be good, even going to the grocery store should be easy with these, the trailer is good too, but again, in crowded areas, the trailer is difficult, as people just simply do not see it and just about step on it.

Does anyone else have these panniers, if so, how have they held up?

Cheers!

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
My bike with the one pannier attached, I really had to move it back on the rack to have enough heel clearance.

Same for mine--the smaller front ones--tho since not on a dedicated long wheel-base touring frame, only to be expected.

I found out I could put three bottles in there if I wanted to, ...

Come on, now... Standard volume measurement is supposed to be done using beer cans. ;)

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010

Same for mine--the smaller front ones--tho since not on a dedicated long wheel-base touring frame, only to be expected.

I found out I could put three bottles in there if I wanted to, ...

Come on, now... Standard volume measurement is supposed to be done using beer cans. ;)
Sorry about that :D I bet I could get a case of 24 350ml can in there :rolleyes: :cool:

Heck these are waterproof, right? I could fill it with ice and beer in the summer :D

or just tow the trailer with a big cooler full of beer :angel:

Apr 26, 2010
Shimokitazawa
I have these too. Awesome bags, but it does require a bit of packing organization on your part when touring with them. Make sure you cinch the strap down though. I had a chat with a guy on my commute one day who said he used to have these bags. He left the strap flapping free one ride, it caught on something as he went by and ripped the bag open. Now he has one of these bags.