What's new

Help My bike was stolen, please watch out for it

jakeamin

Cruising
May 16, 2007
11144797_10100803372481955_4665108458302308752_o.jpg

Hello everyone, today my bicycle was stolen. I bought it only in February. I believe it is the only S-works Roubaix Disc SL4 with this paint job in Japan. I bought it as a module, which they sell only in the US. Certainly it would be the only size 56. If you see this bike anywhere, or for sale online, please alert me and the authorities.

I had it locked to the gate alongside the tunnel near the bike parking area at Roppongi Hills. It was down the way towards TV Asahi. There are hundreds of bikes parked out there every day, and I park my commuter bike there every day, but on this day (June 26th between 7am-3:30pm) my beautiful precious baby was taken from me.

Ouch. A guy I know had his Team Machine stolen recently too. Hope you somehow can get your bike back.

But left it out of sight (albeit locked) from 7 am(?) to 3:30? (The BMC guy, same thing - left it out for hours in Akasaka...

I'll keep an eye out but your best bet would be to regularly check Yahoo Auction listings and visit any local bike shops that sell second-hand bikes.

I'm guessing you locked it with a decent U-lock, right? If so that would imply it was more of a pro thief job and your chances of getting it back are much slimmer, I'm afraid.

That's BS. I hope you get it back. Looks like a nice ride.

That is well bad. Hope you find it.

Keep us updated, and if you need any help just ask and I am sure everyone will do what they can.

How about posting the serial number? If the crook tries to sell it to a store (unlikely), the proprietor might google for it and see this thread (even less likely, but conceivable).

Really bad news. Provides an opportunity to once again remind folks, newbies especially--don't leave a prize ride unattended anywhere, anytime--locked or otherwise.

Heart goes out to you. It's a beautiful machine. I'm curious though, how do these guys get past the U-locks?

Easily. Liquid Nitrogen spray into the lock mechanism quick tap with a hammer and the lock will fall right out.
Or a large set of bolt cutters will go right through most of them and all the cheap ones.

Heart goes out to you. It's a beautiful machine. I'm curious though, how do these guys get past the U-locks?

That is early for a bike to be stolen.

Most reports I hear are from bikes being left overnight somewhere (for example, my friend has had 3 bikes stolen over time and each time it was when left locked outside on the street overnight).

Easily. Liquid Nitrogen spray into the lock mechanism quick tap with a hammer and the lock will fall right out.
Or a large set of bolt cutters will go right through most of them and all the cheap ones.
A few years back someone did a test on all the leading motorcycle locks in the US.
The "thief" was armed with a set of 1 meter bolt cutters and two lengths of scaffolding tube.
Nothing took more than 30 seconds!
There are gangs circling the streets of Tokyo looking for swag... motorcycles or bikes.
No lock is safe... If you cant afford to lose it.... don't leave it.
Sad but true!

All that was needed was a little knowledge and a long pipe:

Crooks ought not to steal expensive bikes. But they'll continue to steal them, and few of these bikes will be recovered. Crooks are less likely to steal bikes that look (and probably were) cheap. I'm reliably assured that expensive new bikes are more enjoyable than cheap old ones. (I can't add personal observation: I've never ridden anything built this century.) Still, oldies are fun too, or at least they are for me. So if you have a pricy bike, supplement it with something old. Remember only to clean the areas that benefit from being cleaned; elsewhere, the more grease, mud and pigeonpiss the better.

Back
Top Bottom