What's new

Tech My bike got dismantled. Where to get a new groupset?

pogey

Speeding Up
Aug 9, 2021
Hi folks,

so couple of weeks ago two dudes dismantled my road bike in a what I presumed to be safe Yokohama bicycle parking. They got away with my handlebar and Ultegra R8000 (except for the front mech).

I've been scouting Mercari (absurdly expensive for crap quality) and several shops (pandemic stock-shock still) without any success.

Now I humbly come asking you good lot for any advice on where to get a new groupset. Or you might know someone who's selling? I'm also thinking of switching to SRAM. I just wanna ride again.

Many thanks for any hints.
Misha

How many speed Ultegra do you want?
I have a groupset here not being used but I'm not a Shimano dude so have no idea about the model. It's 10S

Thank you @kiwisimon. I still got the 11s cassette and ultegra front mech, thus 11s would be ideal. But got any pictures though?

Bummer, bicycle theft in Japan is quite rare.

If you go 11 speed, you could still keep the Shimano cassette. Although, personally, I preferred SRAM's gearing on the 11-speed cassettes, too.

Thank you @kiwisimon. I still got the 11s cassette and ultegra front mech, thus 11s would be ideal. But got any pictures though?
sorry just dragged them out and someone has not been too gentle on his daily commuter to school. Shifters not up to sale quality. Appear not to work at all.

Six months back, I changed my 105 10a group set. All parts (new) were bought separately from different online sites, Amazon, Y's road, Yahoo Auctions.
The only part not available here, the rear derailleur, was bought from eBay, coming from Taiwan
The bike is still in the « repair mode » due to a lack of time
Anyway, plenty of choice to find your happiness, whatever new or used.

And I'm back, yeah I'm eyeing the people's groupset (105) or thinking of splurging and going electric. As you see I have not cycled much in this crazy heat. Have been quite hopeful with stuff appearing on Amazon.

Thanks again everyone.
PS If anyone has a groupset to sell Shimano or SRAM, send me a message.

Hah, interesting. But getting replacements from Alibaba every time seems bothersome. Great price point to experiment though. Thanks!

Edit: Just seen them on Amazon..

@pogey , if I remember right I've seen their 11- and 10-speed stuff praised highly by people whose praise means something (other than that they get free goodies or cash from Sensah). And of course it costs less.

Are 105 cranks any better than Ultegra cranks?

I had a Sensah drive set on my old bike and it was terrible. The front derailleur needed constant adjustment and the jockey wheels were gone in weeks. It apparently performs better on a 1x.

I've had no probs with my 105 but I don't put out massive power. Since they're not trying to save weight so much in 105 the construction method is different. 105 has a hollowed out area vs a 2 piece bonded for ultegra.

I had a Sensah drive set on my old bike and it was terrible. The front derailleur needed constant adjustment and the jockey wheels were gone in weeks. It apparently performs better on a 1x.
That certainly sounds crappy. How many sprockets, and which model (or roughly when did you buy it)?

Actually I have my doubts about any system with more than ten sprockets.

Since they're not trying to save weight so much in 105 the construction method is different. 105 has a hollowed out area vs a 2 piece bonded for ultegra.
That is encouraging indeed.

That certainly sounds crappy. How many sprockets, and which model (or roughly when did you buy it)?

Actually I have my doubts about any system with more than ten sprockets.

That is encouraging indeed.
Sensah Empire using 11-34T. I bought it in October last year and it was useless by June of this year, but as I hardly rode in the first four months of the year, would probably have fallen apart before then had I been able to ride with something closer to my regular pattern. Really disappointed with it as it had come highly recommended by a number of people, so I had great expectations.

That's a bummer, @Kangaeroo .

Well, Microshift then, perhaps.

I've been happy with 10-speed Tiagra brifters, cassette and RD, combined with 105 brakes and FD.

Ten-speed is pleasant; but really, switching from that bike to my antique with 3×5 gearing (and of course downtube shifters) is no hardship. But then again, my rides are undemanding. I'm too timid and lazy to try a 300+ km brevet; but if I did, I'd want all the conveniences I could get.

Back
Top Bottom