What's new

my ball is burning...

kimm

Maximum Pace
Dec 25, 2009
hey guys,
need some tip/advice for long ride like 180k without a break.
the only thing i can't bear is that my ball is burning/sore and even scratched by pants or saddle.

I'm thinking about to use vaseline and do you guys think this is good idea?
*I'm always using this for swiming leg when I race to prevent a scratch.
*maybe I'll try next time and give some feedback to you all. :(

Thanks,
Kimm

Do you wear cycling shorts or regular clothes when you have this problem?

I have done as much as 235 km in a day, not wearing cycling shorts, but on most of my long rides I was not wearing cotton underwear, using synthetic blends like Uniqlo heattech. Cotton can become uncomfortable once it gets soaked in sweat.

It also matters what saddle you use. I love my Brooks B-17.

I used Vaseline as I have dry skin, in particular in winter. Even better is Penaten creme which I use nowadays.

penaten-creme-426x426-646520.jpg

This stuff is legend, it was used by German U-boat captains in WW2. Or am I mixing that up with 4711?

8451454006546320.image.jpg

never had a problem on the bike, but for running marathons - I use BodyGlide. This stuff goes on like stick deoderant. i was skeptical at first... but completely believe in it now.

Thanks Joewein, Mob, bloaker

I've been using Fizik Arione for long time and no pain if I take a break after some point.(always wear cycling shorts) But, after changed my bike ride to TT nowadays, the ball was too much pressured by road bike saddle.(and changed to this one, ISM Adamo TT) The good thing is pressure is gone but in this time, my ball is scratched after long/steady miles! :eek:uch:

Found interesting articles and looks like people use cream like this.(chamois cream sounds good to me :))
http://mikescomputerinfo.com/saddle.htm
http://www.nomeatathlete.com/chamois-cream-reviews/

This stuff is at any common drug store. Cheaper than dedicated cycling creams, and also more gentle--no menthol "tingle" or burning on certain spots:

o064004801332051909662.jpg

Vaseline is the best for a long distance ride. I use it during Ironman and long ride:bike:

never had a problem on the bike, but for running marathons - I use BodyGlide. This stuff goes on like stick deoderant. i was skeptical at first... but completely believe in it now.

I second the BodyGlide. http://www.bodyglide.com/ I had a stick that seemed to help a lot. Have not found it in Japan yet, so may need to stock-up when I go back home for a visit.

Doug, here's the link.
*Some review says assos chamois cream is the best but yeah it costs some money.

I bought this one from art-sports today and ran 20k(not a bike) with this.(But you can use this for bike as well)

The result... um... kind of comfortable until 15k and then it didn't help much.(I think the gel/oil is washed out by my sweat and this gel was not strong enough to hold the oil like vaseline)

I will try Vaseline next time and maybe really save my ball? :eek:

4711 is the UBoat wonder! Only way you can get cozy enough in a peleton to steal the other guy's musette.

I use Oronine and Lanoline (baby cream). Have some wonderful lanoline based baby cream from New Zealand - but it's about done.

For particularly dry and chafed conditions I think nothing beats Bag Balm. Originally intended for cow's udders - but works great on 'burning balls' too.

But Kimm - please see doctor - cause this could be symptom of another trouble like candidas or eczema. You just don't wanna be slathering home remedies on the little brothers. You might make matters worse!

I also go back to my old tips - wash your kit in Dr. Bronners Hemp Castille w/ Tea Tree Oil and then rinse with a little distilled vinegar. I keep ANY soap that has Sodium Lauryl Sulfate miles away from my kit! It almost always gives me a skin rash.

I used Vaseline as I have dry skin, in particular in winter. Even better is Penaten creme which I use nowadays.

penaten-creme-426x426-646520.jpg

This stuff is legend, it was used by German U-boat captains in WW2. Or am I mixing that up with 4711?

8451454006546320.image.jpg

Well when I was in highschool the best advice you could get was self relief.
Now you can get creams, lubes and even the body glide. Man I almost wish I too shaved my legs. Kimm, hope your get over this affliction soon. Are you married by chance ? Some wives and G/Fs can break their men down there. It might not be the bike. http://www.myspace.com/music/player?sid=85485609&ac=now

hahaha. Guys thanks for the advice & good songs. :D

Tim, you're scaring me man! :eek: haha. I think it's just the scratch from the cycling shorts and if i have enough time to recover and use cream from next time, it'll be okay. (but, only 7weeks to go IMF)

Anyhow, thanks guys! it's really great help. :cool:

Kimm

Kimm, go see a Doc - they have good creams - and if you just put these OTC things on your sensitive part without knowing EXACTLY what the effect might be ... Do you want that risk just a few weeks before IMF? If you are just experimenting with new chamois cream, etc - it's one thing. But it sounds like this is an acute issue - so , get it checked! 5min and maybe 1500y max the best you will spend.

Back
Top Bottom