What's new

music to roll to?

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
It's officially winter here in Niigata. I was hit by sleet as I was riding the rollers on the veranda last night. I swear the sleet was falling horizontally!

I'm continuing a project I started last winter and trying to ride to a different album each time I ride the rollers. I usually make a structured plan for a workout but if the music is strong enough I'll just follow the rhythm.

So, do you have any recommendations for music to listen to while riding rollers / a stationary trainer?

Any recommendations will be gratefully accepted and tested out on the veranda!

Cheers,

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Favorite music by far for 2*20 intervals and the like is Fatboy Slim, especially stuff from You've Come a Long Way, Baby. Keeps the cadence up.

Fatboy slim for the win, also Groove Armada is good!

Im lucky to have an old freind from the UK who is a professional DJ who is also a bit of a bike nut and looks at my Garmin training logs and actually puts together sets based on my heart rate and cadence from races. Its amazing how much difference the right beat can make.

Sufferfest

I haven't tried them myself, but I've heard some positive reviews about the Sufferfest line of videos (which are accompanied by music) for people training on rollers or stationary bikes. Though perhaps you already know about this, Andy.

I've downloaded a couple of condensed versions for free via iTunes, and with their pounding beats and real racing footage, I can imagine the vids could get the heart rate up. I just wish my wife would let me use rollers in the house!

Apparently, people watch the videos on iPhones strapped their bars or via a strategically placed PC.

Dang, I sound like a shill here. :)

As for what not to listen to if you're following beats, I would avoid the contemplative ethereality of Iceland's Sigur Ros. Though I quite like their music when I'm running.

Deej

The local bike shop here in Noda has put out their own CD specifically for roller training. I picked it up a while ago but still in it's wrapper. Hopefully can give it a whirl and some feedback soon. Hope it's not enka.

DJ mixes are the best, I find. They generally start off gently and get harder as they progress. Bit like riding, really!

The GetDarker Podcast
D.A.V.E The Drummer
Voidloss / Dirty Bass
etc, are some recent highlights, but the list is endless.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Phil, yes, Fat Boy Slim is good.

James, I'll check out Groove Armada too.

Deej, those videos look good too. I find music alone is motivation for me so maybe I can download the soundtracks from somewhere. As for "the contemplative ethereality of Iceland's Sigur Ros.", you should write for the NME!

Owen, DJ mixes sound good. I have one Pete Tong / Mike Pickering tribute to Tony Wilson which is great if you are into the Manchester / Hacienda music scene. You can download it for free here:

http://www.filter27.com/archives/2007/08/factory_hacienda_special.php

For the record, stuff I've found really motivating (off the top of my head and in no particular order):

Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Fat Boy Slim, Propellerheads, Doves, New Order, Delphic, Hot Chip, LCD Sounsystem, Kraftwerk (TDF), Neon Neon, Dinosaur Jr, Teenage Fanclub, Flamin' Groovies, Junior Senior, Supercar, Halfby, Killers, Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, Kasabian, The Doors, The Fratellis, Ash, Perfume (!!), Capsule, Nick Cave, Battles……

and of course Underworld!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRNoXT_gUc

I'd be really grateful of any other recommendations. I'm open to anything from Abba to ZZ Top! Keep 'em coming!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Check out this podcast

I cant get enough of the electronics explorations podcast on Itunes. It is Dubstep. Its also free to download and has new episodes every week :run01:

I cant get enough of the electronics explorations podcast on Itunes. It is Dubstep. Its also free to download and has new episodes every week :run01:

No WAY!

I am mates with Rob Booth who presents it. I have done some work on it too, mixing stuff down, etc.

If you like that, you should also get the GetDarker stuff.

Never had you down as the kind of person who would be into Dubstep! :D

Thats Awesome

No WAY!

I am mates with Rob Booth who presents it. I have done some work on it too, mixing stuff down, etc.

If you like that, you should also get the GetDarker stuff.

Never had you down as the kind of person who would be into Dubstep! :D

Yeah I have been listing to electronic music for a long time now and lived in San Francisco for aroungd 8 years so It is really in my blood. I started to tire of the same old fruity house music and ventured off into dubstep and minimal tech house... things off that style awhile ago. It really gets me going on the trainer to, realeases agression and Rob Booth Always has the coolest stuff. Thats so cool you know him, At the bike shop I worked at in SF that podcast is playing abut 90% of the time!

Good stuff!

I grew up in Hertfordshire and was a regular at the raves of the time; Helter Skelter, Dreamscape, Lion-X, Pure-X, RainDance, etc.

Then moved up to Sheffield and got taken in by the Warp lot, and the Northern Techno Alliance, so it continued!

I worked in a sound studio for a while in Sheffield too, with a lot of the techno / electronic guys.

Rob Booth is actually not only a great DJ, he is also a pretty good Downhill MTBer!

Gotta roll to old school..high resistance will be the mash master of LKJ, Yellowman and Scientist, intervals need to be seriously hard HM , preferrably Finnish - like Hanoi Rocks, then followed by Faith No More and MC5. My LSD is almost always Dan the Automator.

Only one choice for rollers here . Steady pulsating beat and emotion filled lyrics to power through any lactic threshold.

Simon, I second that, that beat always works and kinda fits the relationship I share with my bike!

Also drum&base is really pushing me forward. I recommend the solid steel podcast on itunes.

EDIT> If it wasn't your intention to script the hell out of this link, I apologise, and you are not a ****.

Sorry, if innocent. :eek:uch:

http://japanmtb.com/cadence/c.html

Just loading it onto my iphone now.

Just under 30 minutes.

6 songs starting at a 91 cadence gradually working up in pace....

150 :warau: (pretty sure this is not the pace of the whole song... possibly a sprint crescendo? )

180 :eek: (same here).

cools down as well...the last part... just listening now is cooling down cool...

Need to brush up on my music too....

Larghissimo — very, very slow (20 bpm and below)
Lento — very slow (40–60 bpm)
Largo — very slow (40–60 bpm), like lento
Larghetto — rather broadly (60–66 bpm)
Grave — slow and solemn
Adagio — slow and stately (literally, "at ease") (66–76 bpm)
Adagietto — rather slow (70–80 bpm)
Andante — at a walking pace (76–108 bpm)
Andante Moderato — a bit faster than andante
Andantino – slightly faster than andante
Moderato — moderately (101-110 bpm)
Allegretto — moderately fast (but less so than allegro)
Allegro moderato — moderately quick (112–124 bpm)
Allegro — fast, quickly and bright or "march tempo" (120–139 bpm)
Vivace — lively and fast (˜140 bpm) (quicker than allegro)
Vivacissimo — very fast and lively
Allegrissimo — very fast
Presto — very fast (168–200 bpm)
Prestissimo — extremely fast (more than 200bpm)

Back
Top Bottom