What's new

Music that plays in your head while you ride

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Now I am guilty of the occasional ride where I put my iphone in mono mode (general>accessibility settings) and stick the left earphone in while knobbing around in the hills by myself. Not good cycling behaviour? Yeah I know, but when you're pushing yourself by yourself a bit of a soundtrack can make a world of difference.

However, when I'm launching down Mejiro-dori on my way to work, I have my mental soundtrack at work. Both ears need to be heeding the stupidity that surrounds me, so even one earphone is out of the question. This leads me to my question:

What's your mental playlist while you're riding, if any?

Me, I have an extensive Mogwai/post rock library which I draw from for the more peaceful commutes. For the more aggressive ones, Hot Snakes, Mission of Burma or Converge give me a kick up the arse.

Me its 30 seconds to Mars - Hurricane, Closer to the Edge etc..... I have to admit that I never use headphones even on 100kms on green lanes and I always ride solo (sad I know). I used to watch girls riding in Japan texting etc on the pavement etc..... F--king stupid.....

I love trolling people while riding. And switching on classics on the phone in loud mode and putting it into backpockets is one of the methods.
For slow and happy riding J. Strauss: An der schönen blauen Donau works great, for something faster Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen from Die Zauberflöte of Mozart is great. People give me funny looks! :alien:
Actually in the brain player same stuff is playing quite often.

I know what you mean but those mental playbacks drive me insane when out on the bike - I try to purge the mind of interference before getting on the bike. If I'm out on a big ride I try and avoid TV or the radio when getting ready so to prevent a song getting stuck in the subconscious.

when I'm up in the mountains I listen to nature, why ruin something that you've labored so hard to get to only to replace it with something you can listen to anytime?

When doing my early morning training sessions I'm listening to my body and the bike - especially the strain in the drive train. I find it helps me maintain the pace required for that effort.

I liken people who listen to music while out riding to smokers that go outside to get some "fresh air".

(for those who don't know me, I'm now an ex-Tokyoite but TCC in spirit forever)
Currently I'm blasting Ke$sha out my pocket while commuting predawn so the joggers and people with their little dogs on strings will get out of my way. It catches people's attention way more than a jinggly bell ;)

I've been known to gain a little extra climbing boost with Nirvana, Eminem, and Broadway showtunes (I think there's some blog about Tim and I and our Sea to Summit(ish) Fuji pursuit in 2010 where I ended up getting up to 5th station and scaring the busses of Japanese tourists with the Rent soundtrack...). At the last slog of the 200km brevet yesterday I had Thriftshop in my head... though I don't think I'd recommend it.

Consider yourselves fortunate.
Have had my 1 yr old son's 'musical' Anpan Man's tune in my skull and various other infant rhymes torturing me......

"I can't seem to breathe with rusty metal lungs" "I can't seem to see with solid marble eyes" was in my head all morning yesterday. Sparklehorse's fantastic "Piano Fire".

I was shouting it going over the passes to keep the bears in the bushes.

Agree with James, best to avoid the tunes before a ride!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

this

while navigating the various hazards along the tamagawa cycling path (old pensioners, kids, tiny dogs etc..)

Back
Top Bottom