What's new

Muscle Pain

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Been slogging away out there on deliveries, man alive it has been busy and windy, like "I have to pedal downhill against the wind to get down the hill" kind of windy :eek: Bloody wears me right out!

Now my thigh muscles are almost always sore, I hurt all the time, I'm wondering if I'm over doing it. Like today, I woke up and my first thoughts were "My thighs ache" I took a hot bath and I do about 30 minutes of stretching after the bath, and this really helps, but still my thigh muscles, especially the outside ones hurt. I have the power to go up hills etc, even with a full trailer, it just hurts, maybe I'm being a wimp :eek:

What about the rest of you, do your leg muscles hurt?

Maybe I need to tweak my bike set up some more.....?

Suggestions, ideas, advice, even pokes and jabs sought :D

my legs are aching like mad at the mo. its not from the bike though, i spent a day walking up and down the stairs and now my left ankle is killing. hot bath and rest is best

Stu, take a couple of days off from bicycle deliveries. Sounds like your legs are tired. Take a break, esp' considering the stresses of the last couple of weeks. Use the motorbike to refesh your body. Nothing wrong with giving your body time to recover, if you really must ride, ride for fun and keep it light.

Sounds like me after a heavy power training session. 2 days rest with high protein diet normally does the trick.

Definitely "rest is best".

But if you need to ride for work or really want to ride tomorrow, in a situation like this my usual routine before bed is:

• 20 mins in the bath at 42C.
  • Massage your legs (while watching TV so you don't get bored).
  • Rub in some Tiger Balm.
  • Sleep with your feet raised up on a couple of pillows.
Legs should feel better tomorrow but as others have said, there's no substitute for rest.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Thanks guys, the last time I was in good shape was about 20 years ago, I don't remember the recovery taking as long :rolleyes: not getting any younger I guess.

Tomorrow Sunday will be rest day for sure, I'll be down in the Dungeon working on trailer, putting the finishing touches on the last set of mods, and then painting it, as the raw steel is starting to rust :eek:

Hot bath, Tiger balm, and rest, I can sleep in tomorrow until 9 AM :D

Don't forget the protien.... help build muscle rather than burn it down!

Definitely "rest is best".

20 mins in the bath at 42C.

+1 A bath as hot as I can stand works much better for me than the ice bath method. The other thing I do, is keep my cycling compression shorts on under my trousers (should buy some compression underwear) and that helps a great deal. If its really bad, just sleep with the bib tights on (not as tight as the shorts).

Whilst its not completely similar, I found that increasing my mama chariot hill repeats was causing me a problem: partly, its just a case of waiting for the legs to adjust to the extra strain but I also found standing when climbing, instead of trying to power the bike from a seated position (all my road bike climbing is seated) saved a lot of aches.

Agree with everyone in this thread;

Get a load of Protein (Protein shake mixed with water) in you, and sleep.

When I was lifting big at the gym, it used to take me 3-4 days to recover from a heavy session, and that was with loads of protein intake and sleep.

I'm taking in a lot more protein that I usually do in a day, remember I'm still working of dropping 50 more pounds (57lbs so far!) and the trailer is in pieces in the Dungeon again, so no deliveries for at least tomorrow, so I'll use my scooter instead, Today, Sunday was a fairly restful day, on the exercise front, but stressful busy on the helping the CMAT teams. Tomorrow will also be a rest day, maybe Tuesday as well.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Cheers!

If you are consuming good Whey protein, with water (don't mix it with milk), and you will be fine.

I'm using water on advise of one of the gym trainers that milk tends to increase lactic acid build up and also slower to absorb. He suggested Whey / Water and a little Pocari Sweat powder. Seems to do it for me. I also use that mix for my short training rides - though much less Whey.

I Don't drink milk, I'm not a baby cow (though I might still look like one). I might have a bit of cream in my coffee in the morning, but usually it is soy milk.

Sunday I took the day off completely, no running or cycling, and last night I took a nice hot bath 43C/109.4F I LOVE a hot bath :D then I found a 20+ year old tub of the RED STRONG Tiger Balm and rubbed it on my legs, where they hurt, boy that stuff burns :eek:, but I have to say that this morning my legs are MUCH less tight, and don't ache so much, I'll repeat the day off today and the hot bath and Tiger balm tonight.

Where is the best place to get this Whey Protein? What kind of calories does it have?

Cheers!

Where is the best place to get this Whey Protein? What kind of calories does it have?

Cheers!

Any big sports place will sell it or you can order it online. Don't worry about the calories, it's not going to fatten you up, especially if you are mixing with water or soy milk. The point is to aid in muscle repair and you've burnt off the calories breaking down the muscles in the first place.

Stu whats the law in Japan regarding homebrewing? Is it illegal to brew your own for personal consumption? Looking at bringing a kit back with me.

Any big sports place will sell it or you can order it online. Don't worry about the calories, it's not going to fatten you up, especially if you are mixing with water or soy milk. The point is to aid in muscle repair and you've burnt off the calories breaking down the muscles in the first place.

Stu whats the law in Japan regarding homebrewing? Is it illegal to brew your own for personal consumption? Looking at bringing a kit back with me.

Thanks for the info, are there any brands that are better than others?

I know they sell homebrew kits here, or at least they did a few year back.

自家製ビール or 手作りビール

I see the kits on sale at >> Amazon << and I'm sure you will find them elsewhere as well.

Tokyo Hands has everything you need! Bottles caps the works.

No not illegal to homebrew but if you decide to sell it publicly then you need to jump through all the hoops.

Back to my leg pain, though beer does help, I have a fair stock of that on hand :D

I had to go do some banking, I actually walked :eek: to the bank and back.....

I stopped at a drug store and bought some of this....

View attachment 733

... just the 1 kg bag, I'll see how this goes.

Thanks again guys!

Is it really not a good idea to mix protein with milk?

I always mix my protein with skimmed milk or soya milk for the scientific reason that it tastes like milkshake as opposed to dirty tap water (when mixed with water).

SAVAS (in the picture is good). Recently I've been using a Japanese brand called DNS. Again for purely scientific reasons - it comes in banana, vanilla, strawberry or chocolate!

Andy

Is it really not a good idea to mix protein with milk?

I always mix my protein with skimmed milk or soya milk for the scientific reason that it tastes like milkshake as opposed to dirty tap water (when mixed with water).

SAVAS (in the picture is good). Recently I've been using a Japanese brand called DNS. Again for purely scientific reasons - it comes in banana, vanilla, strawberry or chocolate!

Andy

I didn't have any soy milk at home, I'll be using that for sure, even if I cut it half with water, as you are correct, with just water, it does not taste great, but I'm also trying to keep the calories down. Half water, half soymilk and 3 scoops of Cocoa Whey Protein, maybe that will taste better...?

I'll try it tonight before bed:)

Straight after exercise drink with water within 30 minutes.
At night mix with water for slow release recovery.

I use the HIGH5 recovery protein taste good and does a good.

Back
Top Bottom