What's new

MTBer moved to Tokyo

Carenum

Warming-Up
Jan 20, 2019
Hi all,

I've recently moved to Tokyo. I brought my MTB with me along with some optimism that there will trails somewhere within reasonable distance of one of the largest cities to ever exist. I was also hoping that there might be some like-minded individuals who might be able to show me around (or impart some local knowledge). I hail from Canberra, Australia where there are several amazing trails in and around the 'city', so I've been a bit spoilt for choice until now.

I'm not a cross-country race snake nor a downhill demon - somewhere in between (read: not very fit or capable). I can only ride on the occasional weekend (I've got daddy duties). But if anybody can show me the trails or suggest the best place to start, I'd be very grateful. I read somewhere that there were trails around Kamakura, but you have to be careful not to go on some of the trails. I've also read that some of the ski fields open for MTBers in the summer.

I live in Minato-ku and have access to a car. Although, of course, I'm more than happy to use the wonderful public transport system here.

Thanks!

The most important MTB Rule in Japan - In the pecking order of right of way, we are last on local trails.

To prevent too many encounters - you will find many groups start early. Being in Tokyo, you need to start earlier just to get to the starting point.
This is not to detract you - as several guys do it on a not so often basis.

I run an MTB group in the Zushi/Hayama area (one station past Kamakura where MTB is very much frowned upon).
We have over 60km of rideable trail, however there are rules for specific trails, so you will rarely see them listed publicly.
It isn't an exclusive thing, it is just protecting access as it has been restricted in the past due to abuse and misuse.

As for Parks and trail tours... Google the following

Parks w/ Lifts:
Fujimi-Panorama
Iwatake
Fujiten

Pedal Up Park:
Sunfield Mountain Bike Park

Shuttle:
Takemineyama

Shuttle/Guide:
Yamabushi
Trail-Cutter

Additional Resource - Mountain Bike Gaijin on Facebook

Welcome to Japan!
Lots of awesome people on this site, and very, very helpful, too. (See post immediately above for example)

The most important MTB Rule in Japan - In the pecking order of right of way, we are last on local trails.

To prevent too many encounters - you will find many groups start early. Being in Tokyo, you need to start earlier just to get to the starting point.
This is not to detract you - as several guys do it on a not so often basis.

I run an MTB group in the Zushi/Hayama area (one station past Kamakura where MTB is very much frowned upon).
We have over 60km of rideable trail, however there are rules for specific trails, so you will rarely see them listed publicly.
It isn't an exclusive thing, it is just protecting access as it has been restricted in the past due to abuse and misuse.

As for Parks and trail tours... Google the following

Parks w/ Lifts:
Fujimi-Panorama
Iwatake
Fujiten

Pedal Up Park:
Sunfield Mountain Bike Park

Shuttle:
Takemineyama

Shuttle/Guide:
Yamabushi
Trail-Cutter

Additional Resource - Mountain Bike Gaijin on Facebook

Thanks for your very helpful (and quick) response!

I am certainly concerned about causing offence and breaking the law/rules. Thanks for the advice.

I would be very interested in taking part in a ride in the Zushi/Hayama area if there are spaces available for new people? How often do you ride and when and what time do rides usually start?

Thanks for the googling advice too. I'll get googling.

Thanks.

Several of us usually start around 0600, so night lights may be needed.
We can sometimes arrange meetups en route about an hour later as one trailhead dumps out near higashi-zushi station.
As for space available... never an issue. Some days I roll solo, some days I have up to 18 riders with me. it all depends.
If you are up for trial work, we do that one a month but don't meet until 0930.

If riding with my group we have pretty simple rules.
1) Don't bitch about the ride.
2) Don't apologize for being slow (every apology requires someone to say "it's ok" and it gets annoying)
3) Just have fun

I usually post rides in the MTB Gaijin page on FB.
If I tell people about a ride, then it is open invite and I am aware speeds may vary.
If I want to ride a particular speed, I will either invite privately people at that speed via PM or ride solo.
This usually only happens when I am prepping for a race.

Rides are usually 4 hours or so. The distance covered comes down to who shows up.

Last edited:
Several of us usually start around 0600, so night lights may be needed.
We can sometimes arrange meetups en route about an hour later as one trailhead dumps out near higashi-zushi station.
As for space available... never an issue. Some days I roll solo, some days I have up to 18 riders with me. it all depends.
If you are up for trial work, we do that one a month but don't meet until 0930.

If riding with my group we have pretty simple rules.
1) Don't bitch about the ride.
2) Don't apologize for being slow (every apology requires someone to say "it's ok" and it gets annoying)
3) Just have fun

I usually post rides in the MTB Gaijin page on FB.
If I tell people about a ride, then it is open invite and I am aware speeds may vary.
If I want to ride a particular speed, I will either invite privately people at that speed via PM or ride solo.
This usually only happens when I am prepping for a race.

Rides are usually 4 hours or so. The distance covered comes down to who shows up.

Great! I'll have a look for the FB group (I need to join FB in order to join the group).

Thanks for the rules. I'm originally from the UK so I will have to pay special attention not to violate rule (1).

Thanks - I really appreciate all the advice etc...

Oume MTB Playground (just some trails in the woods):
Baigo Trails (slog up a gravel road, then wheeee down through the woods again)

Oume MTB Playground (just some trails in the woods):
Baigo Trails (slog up a gravel road, then wheeee down through the woods again)

Would a CX bike be suffice for those courses? My MTB lives on another continent.

Some trails (and some riders) are rougher than others. It depends how skilled/brave/foolish/suspension-agnostic you are.

@bloaker would say "Just buy another bike".

Ha! When my current MTB is due for replacing I'll buy a new bike in Japan and keep it there for awhile before swapping out. I'm glad to see that there are a few more dirt options than I expected.

Some trails (and some riders) are rougher than others. It depends how skilled/brave/foolish/suspension-agnostic you are.

@bloaker would say "Just buy another bike".

And who wouldn't say this?
BTW, I cleaned half of my bike rack...
b1.jpg

Not pictured: Surly, My Salsa, My wife's Salsa, Vassago, other Vassago, and Mamachari
I didn't want you guys thinking I downsized or anything.

Heading out in the morning from near Zushi Station at 0700. The trials were are riding are the most XC oriented of the trails around here.
The first section is the same it took @Half-Fast Mike on for his first taste of Miura Mountain Biking. (the second time I think he broke a rib or two)

Anyhow - 0700 In front of McDonalds at Zushi Station.
This will be a slow roll for the most part because 2 new riders are going.

Hey Carenum,

I just joined the forum, but been going out to Ome trails a number of times, looking for fellow cyclists to maximize motivation.

If your interested in checking out the Ome playground (as seen above) hit me up. I can usually get away from the fam on a weekend morning, and usually take the train over there, which is pretty straightforward if you grab a bike bag. I'm based in shinagawa and it takes roughly 1.5 hrs.

Let me know if you are interested!

Back
Top Bottom