What's new

MTB to Crossbike?

Gelomaekawa

Warming-Up
Feb 27, 2012
Good evening, I dont know the suitable title for this thread....
I'm an MTBiker(aggressive,speed freak), First I'm using a trail bike with a 100mm fork travel and a 26x2.1 tires, I'm wondering if i can change my fork into a rigid fork and make my tire more thinner so that it will be faster on a paved road, but i dont know the specific type of fork and tire that will fit my bike...

i really want a road bike but due to some reason i think it will take me months to save money for a road bike...:(
if you have old bike parts that you will throw away, throw it to me... :D
here's my bike...
DSC05089.jpg
[/IMG]

nice looking bike, the quickest way to save money for a new bike is stop spending money on your bike. You could buy a new fork and skinny tites but it won't make you much faster. Replace parts that need replacing, not before. Riding your MTB will make you a strong rider.

I agree the kiwisimon. I started putting money into my MTB for the same reason (my back up commuter). Started off with tyres a new front wheel etc. That was about 25,000 all up. Then recently spent another 20,000 on a ridgid fork, new cassette, headset, bars, stem etc. I was looking at Wiggle last night and they have some heavily discounted cross bikes. One with a Nexus internal hub, and the brakes, cranks, rear wheel and frame are not old and a little rusty like what I have now. If it is just tyres, fine. 6,000 for some 1.5'' Conti's I suppose. but if you want to blow another 9,000 on a fork, it starts to add up quick.

Kiwisimon is spot on here, the cost of replacing the fork and tires is going to cost you almost the same as an entry level Giant sports bike with SORA or Taigra groupset. (They start off for around 60,000 JPY)

Keep riding the Mtb save the pennies. I can highly recommned getting one of those 500 Yen coin cans, I started in Jan with the idea that it would pay for the Dura Ace Di2 set I want but don't need. I'm now on my second can and looking at Ducati's :D

Thanks for all of your reply, i thnk i'll just save my money and buy a road bike maybe a 2nd hand, I found this 2nd hand bike shop near in our place it's called cycly, anyone knows this bike shop? I think they have many branches in different cities...
I just need help in identifying what size will fit me and what components should it be... they have a GT GTR SERIES4 around 44,000 yen? is it good or bad?
Frame: GT 6061 aluminum
Fork: GT Carbon aluminum column
wheel: Shimano / Alex R500
Tires: 700C
STI: Shimano ST-2300 2x8s
crank: FSA VERO 165mm 50/34T
front derailleur: Shimano FD-2300
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-3400 SORA
Brake: Aluminum
Handle: Aluminum
Stem: COMP Richie
Saddle: Belo
Seat Post: Aluminum
Seat tube length (CT): 520mm
Top tube length (CC): 530mm
I'm 180cm so what size is perfect for me?

Junk for new prices?

CYCLY is a joke. Most of their used and I mean USED parts are more expensive than new stuff from Wiggle.

i just checked the wiggle website, and yeah cycly is a joke... thanks for informing me... do you know other trusted bike shop that sells affordable and cheap bikes?

I can highly recommned getting one of those 500 Yen coin cans, I started in Jan with the idea that it would pay for the Dura Ace Di2 set I want but don't need. I'm now on my second can and looking at Ducati's :D
I do the same, and got a nice ¥143,000 surprise when I opened the can.
However, this isn't really saving. Instead of paying with the 500 yen coin, you use a ¥1,000 note. Real saving would be taking a six pack to the shop counter and saying " I don't want this!" and put it back on the shelf!:eek:

Yeah I don't buy six packs - 24 or 48 flat pack for me :D

But yeah I find myself constantly paying with a 1,000 yen note or making up the difference with change just to get the Y500 coin :D

Oh and the wife is under the misinformed understanding that the money is for a holiday!

I go by an Asahi Cycle shop on the way to Yamaya for my wine shopping, sometimes go in. Seem to have some reasonable inexpensive road bikes, 7-8-man for a Felt or Scott or similar.

Maybe one near you.... check here: http://www.cb-asahi.jp/shop/area/13/

Before I got into the road bike, I had a mountain bike. In order to ride it around town, I got a new set of wheels with road oriented tires. Didn't change the forks or anything, so they are relatively wide to still fit, but much better for getting around. If you find a decent shop they can probably order something, price will vary quite a bit I suspect depending on what you actually get, easily cost as much as a cheaper road bike. But it's an option.

I do the same, and got a nice ¥143,000 surprise when I opened the can.
However, this isn't really saving. Instead of paying with the 500 yen coin, you use a ¥1,000 note. Real saving would be taking a six pack to the shop counter and saying " I don't want this!" and put it back on the shelf!:eek:

Sure glad you don't shop at my shop! :D

soon to achieve three, if everything works out

Back
Top Bottom