What's new

MTB shoe or other recommendation for work

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
Wanting to get back into commuting to work now that the weather should be cooling down.
I have a pair of black MTB shoes that I can get away with wearing at work as well but they are just a little bit too small.

Before I buy a new pair, I'm hoping one of you can suggest a good buy?

Been poking around on Amazon but the ones I like don't have suitable soles for walking around in....

I often just use my normal SIDI road bike shoes and leave my work shoes at work..but as I work at 3 locations it isn't the best option...

I do own just such a pair of shoes from Northwave, which are probably the great-great-great grandparents of this model. They are phenomenally comfortable, easily as comfortable as any sneakers, have a boatload of grip on the trail and indeed clip in. The only downside is that the sole is not as stiff as in other shoes. They are also virtually indestructible: even though they look very ratty by now, they are over 7 years old (I don't even know how old they are, but they are older than my last mountain bike, which I purchased in 2012). And I used them for easily 10,000+ km. Did I say how awesome the shoes are? And they were quite cheap to boot. Oh, one thing, the Northwaves I have are quite wide (which is exactly what I need).

Last edited:
Heavier than running shoes but easy enough to walk in. Platform is OK... I did my flat 30km commute with it and it was fine.
These types of shoes are definitely softer, but IMHO this is a feature and not a bug. They are not meant to give you the most efficient pedaling platform there is. I can walk all day (on and off trail) in my Northwaves, although they look pretty beaten up by now.

Pricy, but intriguing.

I would love to try them on somewhere in Japan, to see if their fit is wide enough for me.

Had a look at the Shimano CT5 SPD in Y's yesterday
Almost bought a pair...but decided to wait a bit.
Will try my old Shimano which are about half a size too small tomorrow and remind myself how much discomfort they cause then decide in the afternoon what to do. I've had them for years but barely used them.

Not keen on doing up laces much either even though my current MTB shoes are laced.

My racing shoes Shimano and SIDI are also very old yet in good condition.
Lots of stuff I want to buy 'new' but it all costs a lot.
Need a new helmet too... looks like my old Garmin 705 has died as well.

Finally got around to getting some new shoes and gave them a good 'welcome' ride today commuting to work.
Did a lot of research and wanted to spend less than ¥10000. Finally WISH lured me into a look at the
Santic MTB Rotating Button Cycling Shoes For Shimano SPD (took me almost a year)

Was worried about ordering the right size online so thought really hard about it. All my 3 other pairs are 43 or 44s... SIDI SHIMANO x 2 and all had different shapes and feels.
Very happy with what arrived. A better fit than my other shoes and very comfortable.

Item Total¥9,617
Shipping¥1,271
Order Total¥10,888

Back
Top Bottom