What's new

Mt. Yanbushi - Minami Alps

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Does somebody have experiences with climbing Mt Yanbushi (Minami ALps)?
Road Conditions?
(I am planning to do this tour)

Thanks,
Malte

Nope, although I've been looking at it.

I'll be leading a small group from Kawaguchi-ko to Amehata, a ryokan that used to be a school, next Saturday. It's on the lakeside at your 115 km point. I was thinking of doing that climb the next day, but the rest of the group aren't up to it so we'll cycle down Fujikawa to the sea, possibly stopping by Minobu-san for some tourism.

So I'll be interested to hear what the mountain is like!

A lot of riding will be around 1300m (on day2) max 1700m. At 300m (Chuo) it's max 20C. I think I have to assume <7C on riding altitude :eek:. Might bring long gloves :eek:uch:.

Two days of cycling while the family was away, passing 4 prefectures. Total 360km and 7278m ascent. Here is a short report (cut&paste from my Strava comment) with some pictures (more in the Gallery).

Day1: Shizuoka to Kofu
Day1.JPG

Main goal was to climb Mt. Yanbushi (山伏山) in the Minami Alps. I couldn't find much information about road conditions so I wasn't sure if I would have to turn back half-way. The road at foot of the mountain pass started with a construction sign blocking all cars to enter. 1km further up I saw a massive landslide which literally washed the road and everything away, the valley looked like a moon landscape. Fortunately they already constructed a small dirt road which I used. There have been several sections where landslides had hit the road but they have filled it up with pebble stones. Overall it was still ok on a road bike (if you feel comfortable with 'Nokogiri' than Yanbushi-san should be fine too). The trees at the top already had nice autumn colors, also I saw wildlife (deers and wild boars, fortunately no bears). The decent was cold (10C) and as it was the north side the road was partially mossy and full of leaves (which makes it very difficult to see the embedded stones). The road structure was much better but I guess cars haven't gone up for quite some time (besides service vehicles). I arrived just at dusk in Kofu, had dinner and relaxed by legs in the hot-bath of the hotel. (Strava)

DSC08079.JPG

DSC08114.JPG

DSC08133.JPG

DSC08136.JPG

Day2: Kofu to Takasaki
Day2.JPG

First time for me to ride the Crystal line, very beautiful with the autumn leaves (koyo) and views to Fuji-san. Today I didn't do any closed roads but still saw wildlife: boars and deers. Following Roads/Passes: Tara Toge (太良ヶ峠), Otome Highlands, Yumihari Toge (弓張峠), Crystal Line, Tokusa Toge (木賊峠), Shinshuo Toge (信州峠), Magose Toge (馬越峠), Taguchi Toge (田口峠). Most of the ride was at around 1200m with 1600m peak, all climbs pretty steep ~10%, the first one nearly make me cry (>15% for 800m altitude) because I just filled up my backpack with food and drinks. When I finally arrived at Takasaki it was already dark; jumped on the Shinkansen home. (Strava)

DSC08215.JPG

DSC08294.JPG

DSC08276.JPG

DSC08319.JPG

Impressive ride and beautiful pictures!

Thanks for posting, Malte! Beautiful weather and scenery.

Back
Top Bottom