What's new

Mt. Iwaki Hill Climb

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
This is in Aomori (Hirosaki) - a 15km hillclimb up the Mt. Iwaki Skyline road which is only open to bicycles one time each year (for this event).

http://iwakisan1238.com/entry/entry.html

I did it last year on fixed gear - the first 5km are on the main road with only slight gradient. Since I was geared for the hill which is 90 or so switchbacks at 12 - 18%, I lost precious time spinning to the real start. But the climb itself is great - quite a bit like Azami - but better roads.

Awesome support by the community and they've raised the entry field to 500 this year.

If you decide to go, I can even arrange some family accomodations.

fully intend to be in this: Maybe not fixed but certainly SS. Have to check the rugby schedule doesn't clash.

Thank you Tim, the course looks awesome.

Although I'm interested, and even more so with your kind offer on the accomodations, the train tickets just to go there and back costs like 34k yen. It's not likely I'll be joining this... unless I can get free flights between Haneda-Aomori. :)

Eugen

I think the nightbus option is the best - it cost 15,000 RT. Another option is a carpool from Tokyo.

Thank you Tim, the course looks awesome.

Although I'm interested, and even more so with your kind offer on the accomodations, the train tickets just to go there and back costs like 34k yen. It's not likely I'll be joining this... unless I can get free flights between Haneda-Aomori. :)

Eugen

Very interested in this, thanks for sharing Tim.
Normally I'm way to heavy to consider hill climbs, but since my buddy just moved to hirosaki, this seems a perfect reason to go.

Will confirm schedule...

If we get the numbers, car sharing would be fun.
Nightbus runs the risk, that they prohibit bikes...

This looks interesting! I wonder I I should do it. The JCRC schedule is empty most of June and July

Agreed. We can rent Mazda Mini Van for about 10,000 /day - drop it off in Hirosaki, then re-rent for the trip back is probably best.

FYI - I've done pretty good on bringing my bike. They sometimes hassle but I just made a small <hanko'd> note that said anything happens to the bike is not their fault. We used 2 different bus services - 'PANDA' out of Ueno and 'WILLIER' out of Shinjuku. Both are about 7000 yen with discount for RT.

Once we're in Hirosaki everything is taken care of. We have very large house and garage. Riding to the course is no problem - maybe only an hour at easy , pre-race pace along the Apple Road.

Very interested in this, thanks for sharing Tim.
Normally I'm way to heavy to consider hill climbs, but since my buddy just moved to hirosaki, this seems a perfect reason to go.

Will confirm schedule...

If we get the numbers, car sharing would be fun.
Nightbus runs the risk, that they prohibit bikes...

We could all go up together.

But I think there is an event at Gunma csc on the same day

There is JCRC in Shuzenji on the 10th but no Gunma event for me until July.
I think I will try this hill climb.

This course is fun - it's 99 (if I remember) switchbacks, preceeded by a 5km run up of slight grade. If the weather is clear there is an amazing view.

Some more info on the actual skyline here:

http://www.iwaki-skyline.jp/about.html

looks like 69 turns over almost 10km. Pretty neat.

In terms of costs, is that free tohoku highway toll thing still going on? Also, tim, where do you get a van for only 10,000? What kind of drop off charges? I tend to use Toyota and get a hiace for 13000/day, but one-way is quite expensive.

This course is fun - it's 99 (if I remember) switchbacks, preceeded by a 5km run up of slight grade. If the weather is clear there is an amazing view.
Interesting... we call consecutive switchbacks TSUZURA-ORI (九十九折り; つづらおり) in Japanese, which literally means 99 turns. :D

As for car pooling, it would most likely keep the transportation cost low enough. If this is the plan, I'm in!!

Some more info on the actual skyline here:

http://www.iwaki-skyline.jp/about.html

looks like 69 turns over almost 10km. Pretty neat.

In terms of costs, is that free tohoku highway toll thing still going on? Also, tim, where do you get a van for only 10,000? What kind of drop off charges? I tend to use Toyota and get a hiace for 13000/day, but one-way is quite expensive.

Free Highway finished last month.

Haha! So that's where it comes from. Yeah - because my whole family is talking about the '99 switchbacks road' And going up there are signs at each one! Truth be told, I never actually counted them on the way up - but at each corner since you are counting down, I just assumed there were actually 99.

Interesting... we call consecutive switchbacks TSUZURA-ORI (九十九折り; つづらおり) in Japanese, which literally means 99 turns. :D

As for car pooling, it would most likely keep the transportation cost low enough. If this is the plan, I'm in!!

Any updates on this?

Had my buddy recon the course by car and the switchbacks make for awesome riding, basically revving it around the corners criterium style.

Application sent!

I'm still on for this. It's an annual sojourn. We haven't decided the transpo there yet - but options exist as:

1) Akebono Night Train - slow but unique and same price as Shinkansen.
2) Night Bus - least expensive - bike may or not be a hassle. I've not had issues - but then it was only me with a bike.
3) Shinkansen - fastest and most expensive. Bike is OK.
4) Rental Car - if we use 7 passenger version, then works out a little less than Shinkansen - but depends on length of stay.

Any updates on this?

Had my buddy recon the course by car and the switchbacks make for awesome riding, basically revving it around the corners criterium style.

Application sent!

Thanks for sharing, Tim.
I will look into it and add the flight option.
Most likely going by night train Friday and back by Shinkansen late Sunday

Mazda Rental Car (SUV) would be about 50,000 yen RT + Fuel and Tolls. It has enough space for 5 people (7P). Near as I can calculate:

Tolls: 13,750 each way
Fuel: (700km) 6,500 yen each way
Total: 90,000 Yen (18,000 yen/person)

Night Bus: 8700 yen (wide seating) each way
Akebono: 13,000 yen (4P sleeper) each way
Shinkansen: 17,000 yen each way

Tim you might have to budget on couriering the bikes if the bus driver has a hissy at too many bikes on the same bus. Should be okay but if the bus is full with travellers with suitcases I can see the bikes causing much sucking through teeth.

Just one more piece of info on the nighttrain akebono.
Booking is possible only at the jr counters and one month in advance the earliest. They are apparently quite popular.
Currently thinking to akebono on fri and fly back sun

Back
Top Bottom