What's new

Moving to Tochigi in September

Rob Langer

Speeding Up
Jul 3, 2015
Hi all,

I'm from Toronto and I'll be moving to Tochigi City in September. It would be great to meet some local riding partners. Is there anyone on the boards here living in the Tochigi area?

Also, The only bike I currently have is a TT bike that I ride for triathlon. I'm going to pick up a road bike and was wondering where I should go in Tokyo for the best deals or should I just buy something here in Toronto and bring it with me because it would probably be cheaper, even with the cost of bringing it on the plane?

Finally, I'm guessing there are some pretty epic routes in and around Tochigi? Anywhere in particular I should ride?

Thanks,

Rob

Where in Tochigi? I ride up there sometimes, on the southern edge of the Tochigi mountains where they join Saitama.

I'll be right in Tochigi City, about a 10 minute ride to the station.

Alright, that is not far from where I usually get to the mountains.

There is some good climbing around there for sure.

Bike; it will not necessarily be cheaper. Depends on what you want to buy. Best bet would be to figure out what bike you want and compare prices of actual stuff.

Fantastic! Hope I can keep up. :)

Not sure what I want yet, but I'm looking at maybe a Tarmac or a BMC Gran Fondo. Is there a good market for higher end used bikes?

Where should I look at comparing prices? Any suggestions online?

Hi Rob, welcome to Tochigi Prefecture! I live in Utsunomiya, which is about 25km from Tochigi City.

You've come to a good place! Tochigi Prefecture has some really nice routes around. The mountains to the west of Utsunomiya, Kanuma and the Nikko area are in particularl really nice, with some great scenery and wide roads. I'm not too familiar with Tochigi City but I've heard from a friend that there's some nice routes around. There's also the Japan Cup, Japan's most famous road race, which takes place in Utsunomiya in October and that course is a pretty fun one ride!

I agree with TCC; with the weak yen now, it might actually be cheaper to buy a bike here. There's a fair amount of bike shops in Utsunomiya that have a decent selection or can order for you but Tokyo is always a good option, especially with it not being too far away. I bought my bike off the classifieds section here. Depending on your size, you might be able to find something there.

I'd definitely be down for showing you some of the routes when you arrive. :)

That sounds great Kyoazu. I'm definitely excited about the riding possibilities and look forward to doing some serious climbing with you. I've been to Utsunomiya a few times. It's a pretty easy ride from where I'll be living.

I'm 178cm and my last road bike was a 54cm Scott CR1.

Hey, I thought I replied to this, sorry!

Sounds great. I'm not a particularly good climber nor do I have much experience with it but I'm looking forward to it anyway! 54cm is perfect, there are a ton of shops with 54cm frames here. :)

Back
Top Bottom