What's new

Help Mountain biking near tokyo?

Thomasn

Warming-Up
Jan 25, 2018
Hello! I'm in Tokyo for just over a month and already missing mountain biking! (I live in Barcelona Spain and we can bike year round...) Can anyone tell me if there are some trails nearby tokyo and if anyone/where does reasonable bike hire? Thanks,..!

There are a decent amount of trails around. As for rental bikes... I don't really know of any 'quality' rentals. In Kamakura, you can rent a Specialized Hardrock, but trails in Kamakura are off limits to MTBs, so you will need to ride over to Zushi to hit trails (only 5km away). You will most likely need someone local to show you around... depending on the day, I might be able to hook you up with someone.

If you can find a bike in tokyo, here are some fun places to play -
http://sunfieldmtbpark.com/top/ - Ashikaga, Tochigi. It is a short track with three runs. Each run is fun, but none of them are that long. The vibe is good and I do enjoy it when I go. Just a tad too far from Yokosuka to make the trip often.

Near Takamineyama in Tochigi is another shuttle service. I cannot for the life of me remember the name tho. Again, a haul for me to get there, so I have only been once. It was a good time, but there is literally nothing there, so bring everything you need. Here is a video from the trail...

The more established parks are closed for the season and won't open until April/May timeframe.

Kinda near tokyo (that is a stretch).... Yamabushi Trail Tours.
They rent nice bikes and have guided tours. Usually a great time.
I rented a Kona Process 153 there. It was in great shape and they swapped the brake levers to my liking. (right rear)

http://yamabushi-trail-tour.com/

thanks for the info... Yamabushi looks great but yeah thats kinda further than i imagined! Tomorrow Ill check out Kamakura... how long does it take to get down there by train?

Kamakura is only an hour by train from parts of Tokyo. Take the JR Yokosuka line and it is pretty much a straight shot.
Grove Bike shop does the rentals, but again, just an entry level hardtail.
The trails here are quite well hidden - please stay off the trail in Kamakura as we have been trying to get city council to reverse the decision on MTBs.
If guys ride thos trails, it kind of works against our efforts.

Here is a map of the Futagoyama area. Tons of fun sections, but no real "loop" as you may expect.
To get there from Kamakura, leave grove, and go to the beach.
When you get to the beach, turn left onto Rt134.
Follow that through Zushi. When you get to Red Lobster - Go through one more tunnel then go straight onto 311. 134 turns right.
Follow this road until you get to Nango Koen. Turn right and follow that road to the top.
At the top is a parking lot on your left, go in there. At the far side of the parking lot, hop the curb but go straght 15 more meters.
You will see a chained off jeep road to your left... lift your bike over the chain and climb.

The 10, 28, 35 markers all together in the middle of the map is where you are heading - from the bathroom symbol (the park).

https://www.futagoyama.org/協議会とは/マップ/?mobile=1

That sounds cool, and had a look and Grove even have a "full suspension" bike for hire! I think I have next Friday free and might give it a shot... you're not free by any chance? Although the picture in full face gear and "sending it" worries me a tad! (PS Would stay off the Kamakura trails for sure, I understand your efforts, back home there is so little respect for hikers and the like that its quite embarrassing.)

The full face was for SMP. It is not required, but in a race environment, dumb things can happen.
Futagoyama, I wear an open face. Not nearly as much risk there, however mistakes can still be painful.... ask @Half-Fast Mike about his ribs! :D
I typically ride Futagoyama on a hardtail. Some others prefer extra squish - but since I suck at climbing, I prefer the hardtail for climbing and I just pick better lines descending.

Fridays I am usually off work by 3pm. So we could get a couple hours in. Since I ride to work, I could leave the commuter at home and bring an MTB.

Ha! Actually I am a hardtail person myself, and spend an unholy amount of time climbing back in Spain... Just find full squish such a laugh the times I get a chance to ride one. Maybe once I see whats on offer I can make the decision. Would be cool to meet up, I might get down a bit earlier to play about before you show me the real stuff! What time deos it get dark though, 16:30 - 16:45?

Five-ish it is too dark, but not sure how much earlier the sun goes down. I know the local trails pretty well and can avoid the high risk stuff when the sun is going down.

High risk is usually rooty trails next to cliffs. I have gone over a couple... not fun.

Bloaker, I managed to reserve a bike, not exactly sure what type, the picture showed an old Kona dually, but not holding my breath. But with sensible line choice as you say, should not be an issue. Hope we can meet up next friday (the 2nd) Let me know!

Hey Bloaker, So (heavy) snow or heavy rain permitting I'll be down tomorrow. Can we meet? May be trailhead or nearby? Thanks, and hope it can happen!

Weather look crap. If snow, iam stoked to ride. If rain… not so stoked. Best place to meet would be zushi station. 5km from grove and we can get to trails relatively quick frm there.

Me too! Snow yes, rain not so. Will see how it turns out. Probably go down late morning and see the shop - bike and head out for the trails! Meet you back at Zushi? Best way to contact you this forum? I have movible WiFi bit no actual telephone number. You guys use WhatsApp?

Nope. Message here or a pm. If you send a message it will email me.

Back
Top Bottom