What's new

Ride Morning Arakawa TT

I'm a no show today. Got 500m up the road And a rear flat. I was going to change tyres yesterday but went Costco instead:eek:

Anyway not worth fixing so I will put a new one on. Sorry boys if you were waiting for me.

Not enough rim tape only covered Hal a wheel so I guess I am not going anywhere this morning....

Preparation....preparation....preparation.... It's my new mantra

On the bright side at least I have a legitimate reason to be in a bike shop, spending money!!!

I was wondering where you were. Just me this morning then - had an easy couple of laps in perfect conditions. Have fun at the bike shop; which one do you use, by the way?

There is a good one in asaka. Called kaneko kings. But I am a bit off them after they said I had to buy a bike off them before they would let me join any of their group rides. I have been a regular customer and I own a bike so I guess they can't see how their club could be an incentive rather than a reward.

Anyway I will stop in at friends on ome kaido just before ogikubo on my way home. Expensive but lot of nice gear and bikes to ogle!

Ill be there tomorrow assuming it is not pissing with rain and I can get my tyre sorted.... Will confirm tonight.

Good run this morning, pace was pretty fast.

Think I will be there tomorrow for the full commute. Although I must say I do enjoy the going home for a shower part before work!!!:cool:

Good run this morning, pace was pretty fast.

Yeah, it was a nice pace. I think we need to introduce interval training once a week too. It's much more fun in a group. What do you think? BTW, what was the best lap time today?

If the weather is acceptable tomorrow I think I'll be out for an easy, slow, high-cadence ride.

There is a good one in asaka. Called kaneko kings. But I am a bit off them after they said I had to buy a bike off them before they would let me join any of their group rides.!

sounds like you just need to be riding along the same time as them, could be good training, them the hares you the hound

I asked, they have a page where they discuss details on their website. They said you need a password.
How do you I get one?
You have to buy a bike here.
But I already own a bike.
Shoulders shrug.
So, that's it then I can't join.
Shoulders shrug again.
I walk out. No wonder the shop is always empty.

Yeah, it was a nice pace. I think we need to introduce interval training once a week too. It's much more fun in a group. What do you think? BTW, what was the best lap time today?

If the weather is acceptable tomorrow I think I'll be out for an easy, slow, high-cadence ride.

Todays facts and figures

http://app.strava.com/rides/11157496

I'm pretty happy with a 7.58 for my first solo lap of the short circuit. Just a whisker from a 35km/hr average.

Yeah will have to see how this weather pans out but if it's good Ill be there.

Many LBS cooridinate group rides that restricted to 'members' , which may include invited customers for the simple reason that they assume the risk and repsonsibility of those riders in terms of both staff support and ride insurance. And a drop-in rider has not really provided them any income - so they would naturally exclude them.

Tim I think we all know that but he is a money spending customer getting brushed off. The is no way they can restrict a ride on a public road. I would probably just be inclined to follow along behind near enough to be obvious but not near enough to be "too close"
The blob: if it really pisses you off go and tell him how much money you have spent there already and it's the last they will ever get off you. If you don't tell them then they won't know. Did you do something to piss them off? You didn't spend a huge heap of time there before buying a bike on line did you?

There is no law that any shop is required to accept riders to their group ride. Why is this a big deal? If someone wants to ride with other people, then they can hook up with them anywhere.

Secondly - rogue riders that try to jump into established group rides represent not only a breech of etiquette but also safety. Pesonally I don't like riders on my tail that I have no clue how they'll react under a potential road hazard. And vice versa, I will not wheel suck or try to jump into an established ride unless invited.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the priviledge of riding on a public motorway, but more about cycling etiquette. Remember the scene from Breaking Away where Dave encounters 'The Italians' .

Tim I think we all know that but he is a money spending customer getting brushed off. The is no way they can restrict a ride on a public road. I would probably just be inclined to follow along behind near enough to be obvious but not near enough to be "too close"
The blob: if it really pisses you off go and tell him how much money you have spent there already and it's the last they will ever get off you. If you don't tell them then they won't know. Did you do something to piss them off? You didn't spend a huge heap of time there before buying a bike on line did you?

I just checked out their home page and they do say groups rides are for customers that have bought bikes there. Oddly enough their links page is full of wiggle ads, made me chuckle.
Blob F*ck 'em they don't want your money so don't give it to them.

I have to agree with Tim here.

Think of it as a football game a t a public park, would you just rock up and start playing footie with them without an invite to play?

I can understand the frustration of being closed out but this is not just a Japan thing but part of the global cycling culture.

A classic example of this was my father turned up to a local club ride, they were more than happy for him to be there until they asked if he had cycle and 3rd party insurance. They politely told him that he would not be able to ride with the group until he had.

I would never just show up. I just think it's bad business. I was becoming a regular customer, There were no options to pay any insurance. Just buy a bike or too bad. So, instead I am left with the feeling that I have been shut out and will shop elsewhere as a result.

No big deal.

Anyway back on topic.

another 50km this morning. heavy winds and lots of debris and water made for slow going, and I gave up the idea of commuting to work along the river. Instead home for a shower and ride the scooter instead!

Sorry about this morning Mlac, I guess we timed things badly and had different agendas! I ended up just staying on the park side and riding up and back from the bridge to the hump.

another 50km this morning. heavy winds and lots of debris and water made for slow going, and I gave up the idea of commuting to work along the river. Instead home for a shower and ride the scooter instead!

Sorry about this morning Mlac, I guess we timed things badly and had different agendas! I ended up just staying on the park side and riding up and back from the bridge to the hump.

No worries. I got there a bit earlier than usual so went to check the back end of the course, which is usually waterlogged after a lot of rain. It was, so I was going to suggest we get up on the riverbank where there is no debris or wetness. When I saw you, I tried to tell you about my cunning plan but it was too late, you were chasing demons. So, I was up on the riverbank spinning away while you dodged the twigs park side. It was a beautiful day for it.

Catch you tomorrow. Hope the wind has died down a bit...

Does anyone have heard about this cycle shop called Nalsima Friends located in Tokyo, Shibuya-ku, Jingumae?  Still haven't visited their shop yet, but will check on this weekend. http://www.nalsimafrend.jp/shop/jingu.html

Look they have a pretty much organized road cycling team, including a team club for touring around Kanto area and also trainning (mainly in Kanagawa, Yamanashi and Chichibu) all levels of road bikers, since level Eee (distance 60-120km, 3 types of riding style: stork, rabbit and turtle) to level A (distance 100-200km, racing style). During weekends and national holidays, they usually get together on the shop parking lot and depart at 9am. To join them? guess no need to buy a bike or being loyal customer of the shop, you just need to pay a one time permanent membership fee of JPY5,000 and no monthly fee at all. http://www.nalsimafrend.jp/team/

http://www.nalsimafrend.jp/team/clubteam.html
なるしまフレンド クラブチームは、なるしまフレンドの前身である羽村サイクルセンターなるしま内に1974年に誕生。以来、走りに徹するレーシング志向のクラブとして活動を続け、JCRC、ツール・ド・おきなわ市民レース、各地のヒルクライムイベントなどで多くの実績を残しています。ロードバイクの楽しみ方が広がったことから、2004年末にはゆったりと走りを楽しむEee班を発足。これまで通りレース主体のA班、走りを楽しむEee班の2班体制になりました。性格の異なる2つのクラブを行き来しつつ自転車を自由に楽しんでいただければ、こんなに嬉しいことはないと考えています。

入会方法: なるしまフレンド神宮店、立川店にて随時受付中。入会金:¥5,000 月会費:無料(退会の申し出がない限り永久会員)活動: A班、Eee班ともに神奈川、山梨、秩父方面へのクラブランを開催しています。開催は週末および祝日で、集合場所は立川店駐車場です。目的地やルート等の詳細は当日発表されます。
A班: 遠くまで速く走ることを基本にしたレーシングトレーニング。集合時間:午前9:00 走行距離:100km~200km
Eee班: 脚力別に3班(鶴・兎・亀)に分かれて走るサイクリング。
参加する班は脚力や当日の体調、目的地に合わせて選んでください。集合時間:午前9:00出発(冬季は10:00)走行距離:60km~120km

クラブの沿革
・1974年:羽村サイクルセンターなるしま内に「なるしまフレンド」誕生
・1975年:立川市への移転に伴い店名も「なるしまフレンド」に改称
・1996年:大分県臼杵市に「なるしまフレンド臼杵支部」誕生
・2004年:ゆったり走りを楽しむ「なるしまフレンドEee班」発足

注意事項: クラブラン参加の際は、グローブ、ヘルメットの着用が必要です。クラブラン出席/欠席は自由ですが、途中で帰る場合は参加者へ伝言をお願いします。クラブラン参加中の交通事故であっても、あくまでも自己責任となります。※自転車保険への加入をおすすめします。

Does anyone have heard about this cycle shop called Nalsima Friends located in Tokyo, Shibuya-ku, Jingumae?  Still haven't visited their shop yet, but will check on this weekend. http://www.nalsimafrend.jp/shop/jingu.html

Look they have a pretty much organized road cycling team, including a team club for touring around Kanto area and also trainning (mainly in Kanagawa, Yamanashi and Chichibu) all levels of road bikers, since level Eee (distance 60-120km, 3 types of riding style: stork, rabbit and turtle) to level A (distance 100-200km, racing style). During weekends and national holidays, they usually get together on the shop parking lot and depart at 9am. To join them? guess no need to buy a bike or being loyal customer of the shop, you just need to pay a one time permanent membership fee of JPY5,000 and no monthly fee at all. http://www.nalsimafrend.jp/team/

http://www.nalsimafrend.jp/team/clubteam.html
なるしまフレンド クラブチームは、なるしまフレンドの前身である羽村サイクルセンターなるしま内に1974年に誕生。以来、走りに徹するレーシング志向のクラブとして活動を続け、JCRC、ツール・ド・おきなわ市民レース、各地のヒルクライムイベントなどで多くの実績を残しています。ロードバイクの楽しみ方が広がったことから、2004年末にはゆったりと走りを楽しむEee班を発足。これまで通りレース主体のA班、走りを楽しむEee班の2班体制になりました。性格の異なる2つのクラブを行き来しつつ自転車を自由に楽しんでいただければ、こんなに嬉しいことはないと考えています。

入会方法: なるしまフレンド神宮店、立川店にて随時受付中。入会金:¥5,000 月会費:無料(退会の申し出がない限り永久会員)活動: A班、Eee班ともに神奈川、山梨、秩父方面へのクラブランを開催しています。開催は週末および祝日で、集合場所は立川店駐車場です。目的地やルート等の詳細は当日発表されます。
A班: 遠くまで速く走ることを基本にしたレーシングトレーニング。集合時間:午前9:00 走行距離:100km~200km
Eee班: 脚力別に3班(鶴・兎・亀)に分かれて走るサイクリング。
参加する班は脚力や当日の体調、目的地に合わせて選んでください。集合時間:午前9:00出発(冬季は10:00)走行距離:60km~120km

クラブの沿革
・1974年:羽村サイクルセンターなるしま内に「なるしまフレンド」誕生
・1975年:立川市への移転に伴い店名も「なるしまフレンド」に改称
・1996年:大分県臼杵市に「なるしまフレンド臼杵支部」誕生
・2004年:ゆったり走りを楽しむ「なるしまフレンドEee班」発足

注意事項: クラブラン参加の際は、グローブ、ヘルメットの着用が必要です。クラブラン出席/欠席は自由ですが、途中で帰る場合は参加者へ伝言をお願いします。クラブラン参加中の交通事故であっても、あくまでも自己責任となります。※自転車保険への加入をおすすめします。

Nalsima is a decent shop and worth a visit if you've never been there before. As for rides... there are plenty available, IMHO. For example, I lead a long mountainous ride nearly every weekend. No membership fee required. :D

And your rides Pete are always great! I just wanted to meet a few local guys. The shop is close to my house and so would be all the participants.

Anyway, once again, back on topic, I don't think i will be there tomorrow morning but Friday for sure.

thanks, I will visit Nalsima shop on this weekend. Also I would like to join you on the next ride. Please let me know where and what time do you usually get together.

Back
Top Bottom