What's new

Moon bike lights or other recommendation

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
When I was descending back down from Fuji 5th station to the bottom in the dark last night I realised my camping headlamp was absolutely useless. One of the other guys had a Moon bike light and it was (no pun intended) like night and day compared to mine. I've decided to get myself a decent light. Does anyone know where I can get moon lights in Tokyo, or have another recommendation ?
Thanks
Mark

I have used the cygolite expilion 600 for the past 4 months or so and can recommend it. My coworker has the moon and bought a cygolite to replace it. I can usually go on a 3 hours night ride using the low/medium beam (5 options: super low, flashing, low, medium, high) and dont run out of power. It charges via USB or usual wall socket. The bar clamp is nice and the expilion 700 includes a helmet mount. My only complaint is the usb cover is flimsy and can fall out....I have left mine off for a few months (and a couple rainy night rides) with no ill effects but am probably going to cover it with electrical tape.

http://www.amazon.com/Expilion-700-USB-Rechargeable-Headlight/dp/B0090Q5CTY

Unfortunately cygolite's are pretty overpriced in Japan...you may have to search around.

Wowa....ridiculous. Searching Amazon.jp and the cygolites are 3x as expensive as in USA/UK etc.

I have only good things to say about the cateye nanoshots.
You may want to go for a nanoshot plus - bright like a car light.

I second the Dinotte recommendation. I've used them for years, and have no complaints.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I went to map sports (think they have changed their name recently) and they had both Moon and cateye lights. I decided to go with the moon as I saw it in action last night and it blew me away. I kept looking back thinking that a car was following me to only see my mate with his moon light. After about 5 mins I looked around and noticed a bus behind us. I hadn't even noticed the bus lights as the moon was so bright.

When riding out side at night ,I would prefer headlamps rather than bike lights. We can put the headlamp on your head and you can ride the bike safe. Bike lights may be fixed on the bike and it is sometimes incovenient.

When riding out side at night ,I would prefer headlamps rather than bike lights. We can put the headlamp on your head and you can ride the bike safe. Bike lights may be fixed on the bike and it is sometimes incovenient.
Hi Lynn
The moon light I got has both a helmet mount and a handlebar mount so I can choose.

Who cares, what groupset did you get?
Ha ha. None yet. Thinking about saving for the full DA but it's gonna take a while. Will be worth it though. I won't be able to do my favourite thing on a bike though if I do get full DA (which is,see how many people I can overtake on the Arakawa with fully kitted out DA bikes;)

(which is,see how many people I can overtake on the Arakawa with fully kitted out DA bikes;)
Make a contribution to the world, get the DA and overtake people with shit parts so they get en incentive to upgrade too!
(They don't need to know that it's those gifts-from-god legs you have that could probably overtake them on tricycle that is doing all the work)

I konw it .Mine are different from yours . Will you please show me some pictures of your lights if it is covenient .
Hi Lynn
The moon light I got has both a helmet mount and a handlebar mount so I can choose.

For anyone looking for a quick super effective bike light/night climbing solution, word search 'CAT EYE OptiCube' or check the double otsuki thread. There is a big photo of my helmet with the opticube attached. cheap quick crazy range for such a tiny cheap light. Can spot deers 30-40m away in the forest.

I konw it .Mine are different from yours . Will you please show me some pictures of your lights if it is covenient .
Just google "moon xpower 300" and hit "images". There are loads of pics there.
Jules - what is the Cateye like on the descents? I was going to get the Cateye nano shot but decided on the moon as I had been dazzled (literally) by its performance last Saturday

If you`re referring to the fact that the light on the bike is fixed and therefore doesn`t help you see round corners, which you can do with a helmet light by turning your head, then the Moon lights have a swivel base, so you can easily flick them to point in the direction you want to see. I have both the XP-300 and XP-500, which redundifies (can I make up a word?) the need to even bother re-positioning. And with helmet lights, there is always the problem of what happens if you come off and land on the light???

PS: Apologies for the lecture, but please, two lights at night. If you are relying on one and something happens to it, you are !*@%&#

leicaman. no idea re descents. i have never descended at night. heres a link to the photo of my helmet w the opticube.
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/double-otsuki.4566/#post-65025
the moon expower looks amazing. the opticube is small, light w good range and easily strapped to a helmet. i sleep up top usually, the helmet setup is great for setting the tent. i would definitely get the moon for riding across deserts or super long road stuff.

Back
Top Bottom