What's new

Monte Zoncolan

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
Have you guys seen the stats on this monster in stage 15 of the Giro.....tonight. Can't wait to watch this one:D

giro10st15-profilezonco.jpg

The average gradient is 11.5% with stretches of 22%. Looks kind of simialr to our Fuji race. Apparently some of the pro's will be using compacts like a 34x28 as Contador did on 2 stages in the Vuelta in 2008.

So this makes me wonder what cranks are you guys going to be using at Fuji? I'm runnning an 39x28 but after reading this I'm thinking about changing the front crank.......

What are you guys gonna be running this year? Clay our very own Fuji champ, what did you run last year?

Just over 20 kms until the beast! Getting exciting...Anyone found an English streaming site online tnt? I'm watching it in Italian:eek:

Is anyone else watching this? How good is this climb...Evans and Basso gaining time...

Edo I didn't want to say anything in case of coming off as a sore loser, being an Aussie and all. But he didn't look in any pain at all:confused:

he rode that last 10km like he was going to the corner store... where Evans looked like he was going to have a heart attack....

This looks pretty painful to me...

fulonbasso_600.jpg

but Evans took it to another level :eek:

bettiniphoto_0053894_1_full_600.jpg

Looks like Basso has ripped a great fart and Evans has soiled his bib shorts:confused:

Article here on the gear choices of the pros for this hillclimb.

I'll be on my usual 34/50 chainrings and 12/27 cassette for Fuji.
AW.

34X29

Thanks for the link Alan. This is very revealing!! I'll be on 34X29 for Utsukushigahara :) next month.

Article here on the gear choices of the pros for this hillclimb.

I'll be on my usual 34/50 chainrings and 12/27 cassette for Fuji.
AW.

Campag goes to 29.
Shimano & Sram 28

But with the new 10-speed mountainbike groups just released (Sram XX and Shimano XT and SLX Dyna-sys) there are now cassettes with a 36T big cog.

Lookout, here comes Monster Low Gear Man!

I do though.... and I recon the gear ratios I have on it will let me ride up vertical inclines! :eek:

44-32-22T and a 11- 34 rear cassette :D

I have to admit I had no idea there was a road sprocket that went to 29. Seems heavy though - 258g for what must be the 12-23 version, so a lot more for 13-29.

Utsukushikuhara must be really steep if even you, Tom, the low cadence man, opts for such a sprocket.

I'd say for Utsukushigahara and Fuji (steep side) the bigger the gear the better. Last year I used a 38 x 27 at Utsukushigahara and I would have liked more (ie. a compact). I now have a compact and was looking forward to testing it out on that steep section at Utsukushigahara. Unfortunately this year the race clashes with Ura Norikura - a beautiful climb with great views and nice camping and onsen near the start:

http://www.gifu-np.co.jp/hillclimb/index.html

Worth considering next year!

Andy

Thanks Andy! I was not aware of this hillclimb - looks very attractive. It explains why the Utsukushigahara organizers are having a hard time meeting their quota this year...

I'd say for Utsukushigahara and Fuji (steep side) the bigger the gear the better. Last year I used a 38 x 27 at Utsukushigahara and I would have liked more (ie. a compact). I now have a compact and was looking forward to testing it out on that steep section at Utsukushigahara. Unfortunately this year the race clashes with Ura Norikura - a beautiful climb with great views and nice camping and onsen near the start:

http://www.gifu-np.co.jp/hillclimb/index.html

Worth considering next year!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom