What's new

Monday, Oct 8: Takao - Yamanakako - Sagamihara

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Tomorrow (Monday) I'll ride a modified version of a brevet by AJ NishiTokyo that took place on Saturday. The original route (RWGPS) is Machida-Takao-R35-Tsuru-Yamanakako (loop around the lake)-Doshi michi-Sagamihara-Machida.

I'll leave from Setagaya around 5, will be at Takao around 8 (where a beginners ride is starting around 8), then follow the regular route. I may vary the end of the route, skipping Miagase-ko and heading back to Setagaya via Machida, One-Kansen-doro / R19 and the Tamagawa.

Tomorrow (Monday) I'll ride a modified version of a brevet by AJ NishiTokyo that took place on Saturday. The original route (RWGPS) is Machida-Takao-R35-Tsuru-Yamanakako (loop around the lake)-Doshi michi-Sagamihara-Machida.

I'll leave from Setagaya around 5, will be at Takao around 8 (where a beginners ride is starting around 8), then follow the regular route. I may vary the end of the route, skipping Miagase-ko and heading back to Setagaya via Machida, One-Kansen-doro / R19 and the Tamagawa.

If you had done the exact same route I could have waved at you from my cell at work at the 1.4 mile point! :)

Now at Takao station, about 20% of the trip :)

Cool route. Starts out right near home too. Had I seen the post sooner, I would have tagged along for 30km or so. Never gone further than 10.3km in a stretch, or 20km per day, so perhaps I should try little pieces of this route before contemplating the full 200km.

How was the ride?

This was my second weekend in a row with a 180+ km ride in the mountains.

From Setagaya I mostly followed the Half Fast route to Takao (Thanks, Mike!), which mostly consisted of bike paths on river sides. Not the fastest, but fairly relaxing. I climbed Takao after this 45 km warm up. In a way it was the easiest climb of the route: not too steep and not particularly long. R76 and R35 were a lot more work. I enjoyed the descent down to Tsuru after that.

My original plan turned out to be overly ambitious, as I was running out of time. I had promised my wife to be home by dinner for the kids as she was out working today. After I climbed R24 from Tsuru over the ~1000 m toge and stopped at the michi no eki (service area) on doshi michi (R413), I could tell that if I continued climbing the pass to Yamanaka-ko I would not be able to keep that promise. Family won and and I turned back towards Sagamihara and Tokyo, skipping Yamanakako.

Doshi michi has plenty of ups and downs and I was glad I was doing it without real time pressure now. It had a surprising amount of traffic, maybe because of the long weekend. My only previous ride there had been mid-week. It's a lot busier than R35.

Traffic got really busy around Sagamihara and along One Kansen doro, but on the bike I could pass a lot of queues on the left.

This was my bike's anniversary ride. On Oct 8, 2011, I unpacked it from a box and did my first ride to Shinjuku. In that first year (i.e. everything before today's ride) I managed about 6,800 km altogether on my first road bike in three decades.

Sunrise on the Tamagawa:

IMG_3710.JPG

Rice harvest near Doshi michi:

IMG_3727.JPG

River near Doshi michi:

IMG_3730.JPG

Public pool at One Kansen Doro:

IMG_3736.JPG

Welcome, although I am mildly disappointed that your ride report doesn't feature any orange bike pictures or impenetrable technical stuff about milliamp-hours etc.

Not unless you feel withdrawal symptoms ;)

Here are some pictures of the Maglev test track in Akiyama village that I passed after the tunnel at the top of R35 before descending down to Tsuru:

IMG_3716.JPG

IMG_3717.JPG

Back
Top Bottom