Monday, Oct 8: Takao - Yamanakako - Sagamihara

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
Tomorrow (Monday) I'll ride a modified version of a brevet by AJ NishiTokyo that took place on Saturday. The original route (RWGPS) is Machida-Takao-R35-Tsuru-Yamanakako (loop around the lake)-Doshi michi-Sagamihara-Machida.

I'll leave from Setagaya around 5, will be at Takao around 8 (where a beginners ride is starting around 8), then follow the regular route. I may vary the end of the route, skipping Miagase-ko and heading back to Setagaya via Machida, One-Kansen-doro / R19 and the Tamagawa.

snoogly

Maximum Pace
Oct 14, 2007
Machida, Tokyo
Tomorrow (Monday) I'll ride a modified version of a brevet by AJ NishiTokyo that took place on Saturday. The original route (RWGPS) is Machida-Takao-R35-Tsuru-Yamanakako (loop around the lake)-Doshi michi-Sagamihara-Machida.

I'll leave from Setagaya around 5, will be at Takao around 8 (where a beginners ride is starting around 8), then follow the regular route. I may vary the end of the route, skipping Miagase-ko and heading back to Setagaya via Machida, One-Kansen-doro / R19 and the Tamagawa.
If you had done the exact same route I could have waved at you from my cell at work at the 1.4 mile point! :)

sprocket

Cruising
Mar 27, 2012
Tokyo
Cool route. Starts out right near home too. Had I seen the post sooner, I would have tagged along for 30km or so. Never gone further than 10.3km in a stretch, or 20km per day, so perhaps I should try little pieces of this route before contemplating the full 200km.

How was the ride?

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
This was my second weekend in a row with a 180+ km ride in the mountains.

From Setagaya I mostly followed the Half Fast route to Takao (Thanks, Mike!), which mostly consisted of bike paths on river sides. Not the fastest, but fairly relaxing. I climbed Takao after this 45 km warm up. In a way it was the easiest climb of the route: not too steep and not particularly long. R76 and R35 were a lot more work. I enjoyed the descent down to Tsuru after that.

My original plan turned out to be overly ambitious, as I was running out of time. I had promised my wife to be home by dinner for the kids as she was out working today. After I climbed R24 from Tsuru over the ~1000 m toge and stopped at the michi no eki (service area) on doshi michi (R413), I could tell that if I continued climbing the pass to Yamanaka-ko I would not be able to keep that promise. Family won and and I turned back towards Sagamihara and Tokyo, skipping Yamanakako.

Doshi michi has plenty of ups and downs and I was glad I was doing it without real time pressure now. It had a surprising amount of traffic, maybe because of the long weekend. My only previous ride there had been mid-week. It's a lot busier than R35.

Traffic got really busy around Sagamihara and along One Kansen doro, but on the bike I could pass a lot of queues on the left.

This was my bike's anniversary ride. On Oct 8, 2011, I unpacked it from a box and did my first ride to Shinjuku. In that first year (i.e. everything before today's ride) I managed about 6,800 km altogether on my first road bike in three decades.

Sunrise on the Tamagawa:

Rice harvest near Doshi michi:

River near Doshi michi:

Public pool at One Kansen Doro: