What's new

Ride Monday Meander

Conrad

Maximum Pace
Dec 8, 2014
We've been doing regular rides every Sunday for the last couple of months so we figured we might as well put it in one thread and post our Sunday rides here from now on. We usually leave from Hino(ish) and head out to the mountains from there.

Here is this week's offering:

Kabasaka Pass, Saitama.

Meeting Place: Y's Road Fuchu
Meeting Time: 5:00 am, Sunday July 3rd
Distance: ~135km
Total Climb: ~2,600m

We usually practice drafting on the flattish bits and WATT for the climbs. There will be a couple of vending machine stops along the way, but bring plenty of water, some food, tools and spares. @TokyoLiving will be riding the whole route but I'll have to head back early. All are welcome of course, medium pace on the flat and less on the hills. @Kohei Matsuda - this would be another good one for you :)

Cheers for the heads up, @GrantT and @Half-Fast Mike , some edits made to the return journey, fewer traffic lights, quieter roads and a few more kms.

Here's the route:

Last edited:
Maybe, one day, if I can get up at 3 a.m. (Nah - not gonna happen)

But perhaps I can interest you in a much nicer way to get from the Tamagawa to Itsukuaichi, following the Akigawa itself rather than the dreadful Akigawa-kaido.

Why dreadful? Road condition, traffic? If it's traffic, the beauty of a 5 am start, especially on an early Sunday morning, is we have the roads to ourselves pretty much the whole way. Coming back is a different story.

We will take a gander and tweak it. I prefer tranquil country roads and less signals. Although signals are not something we adhere to at that time of the morning... Did I just type that? D'oh!!!

Having swiped swiped this very detour myself from RWGPS after finding route 7 so horrible I can highly recommend it, it also cuts out the narrow bumpy bit of the pathway on the Tamagawa before the park that leads to route 7.

It's a good route, but staying on the south side of the river makes it a bit simpler.
Arguably simpler. But the 500 m stretch of gravel moguls after the abandoned love hotel isn't getting any smoother as the years pass. After that you lose the river for quite a way which spoils the charm for me a bit. Horses for courses...

I'm thinking about it!
You're more than welcome to come along :) , it'll be a nice ride, quiet roads on the way out (another reason for leaving early) and winding mountain roads through some really nice scenery.

I'm mainly worried that I won't cope with the distance but also am waiting for my saddle bag so carrying all my spares and then a train bag would be a lot. @Kohei Matsuda are you riding along the Tama to get there? could meet you at the same spot as yesterday if so?

Hi @Jonf2016tokyo don't worry about the distance. Conrad is turning around at some point so if you don't feel up to it, you can turn around. Also we are meeting along the Tamagawa. I or Kohei could meet you somewhere and we could ride to the meeting point which is also along the Tamagawa at Ys road.

Back
Top Bottom