Monday 12 - Holiday Express Ride

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
Tokyo
I'm planning to do this ride on Monday:

http://www.mapmyride.com/view_route?r=227241293059

The route is a combination of the start of my "Speedy Gentlemens' Tour" and the western loop of Philip's "Tour de Christoph" with a distance of about 120km.

Starting point is JR Takao station south entrance. I aim to be rolling by 9am and to complete the ride in daylight. Let me know if you're interested.
AW.

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
Tokyo
Glyn,
Welcome to Tokyo and TCC.

I suggest you have a look at

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/srchkey/tokyo

which has many routes you can try. Bear in mind that the areas west of Tokyo can be quite mountainous and check out the elevation profile (show => elevation on the website).
Alternatively join up with one of the TCC rides. There's one most weekends, and the ride organiser usually posts the route so you can have a look at it before the ride.

See you,
AW.

Dec 23, 2008
tokyo
Hi Alan,

I am very interested in joining you for Monday's ride, if that is ok with you. I am reasonably fit and so should be ok for the 90km. I have just bought a Specialized Allez sport and am looking forward to trying it out. I am new to road riding having spent most of my time mountain biking in Europe.

I only arrived in Tokyo yesterday, but think that i have everything that i need, is there anything special that i need to bring?

Thanks

Dave

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
Tokyo
David,
You will need a bike bag ("rinko-bukuro" in Japanese) if you intend to take your bike on the train to Takao station. There are coin-lockers at the station so you don't have to carry it with you the whole ride. 3 x 100 yen coins for the locker.
There are a couple of tunnels along the way so I recommend having a rear LED light on your bike.
It will be cold at the top section of the ride (around 1000m elevation); dress accordingly :)

By the way, the distance is 120 km not 90. I'm aiming for 5 to 5-1/2 hours, including stops, to finish the ride.

AW.

Dec 23, 2008
tokyo
Alan,

Many thanks for the information. I definately fancy the ride.

I shall look to get myself a rinko buruko and organise myself so that i am at the Takao station by 8-40. I have everything else and hope that i have the legs for the ride.

My mobile number is xxx xxx. If you would be kind enough to send me your number (xxxxxx) so that i can let you know if i am not able to make it in time for whatever reason it would be very much appreciated.

Dave

Philip

Speeding Up
Feb 15, 2007
Setagaya
Hi Alan,

I would like to join you Alan. If I am a little slow you should have no scruples dropping me. I will meet at 9:00 at JR Takao, South entrance.

Philip

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
Kanagawa
Sounds like a good ride Alan. As this is my off season because it's so bloody cold I'll be hitting the futsal court instead. Have an enjoyable ride gents. I should be back in the hills come late Feb/March:D

Rolling

by 9:00 from Takao JR station is Alan's plan and since it takes about 1 hour from Sekidobashi, I'd propose no later than 8:00 @ Sekidobashi where I shall be waiting for you and Thomas to pass by. However, if you don't see me there please continue. The cold I'm trying to overcome is quite nasty:(...

Hi Tom,

I will ride out along the Tamagawa - let me know if you want to meet along the way.

Philip

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Setagaya
Alan, I'm cleared to ride Monday. I look forward to seeing everyone! Though after the indulgent holidays, my legs are sure to feel like jelly...

Philip, Thomas -- I'll see you at Tamasuidobashi. Tom, I hope you're feeling better.

Deej

Philip

Speeding Up
Feb 15, 2007
Setagaya
Philip, shall we meet at Tamasuido-bashi? And if so, at what time?
Hi Thomas, Deej & Tom,

Tom reckons 1 hour from Sekidobashi - and we will need a few minutes for breakfast at Takao - so 7:15 at Tamasuidobashi.

Tom, that means we will roll by Sekidobashi at 7:45.

Philip